PDA

View Full Version : hey

droberts
6/17/2007 6:12pm,
whats up. I've been looking around the forums and stuff for a while. Nice work on busting the BSers. I got some laughs out of the Ashida Kim stuff.

Anyways. I do Shaolin Kenpo. Not Villari's SKK or the USSD thing. I go to a school owned by Robert Pearlswig. It's more oriented towards sparring(the real stuff no light taps), and practicality rather than learning all the forms and doing them better than everyone else. We do forms but only for kicks n' giggles.

Its basically Kickboxing-ish with some Hung Gar and Grappling thrown in there.

Ive been going there since last fall and Im going to have to find a new school next year in the fall when I move to Portland for college. I was thinking about doing Wing Chun or maybe going to the Straight Blast Gym they have in Portland.

GhostOfKimura
6/17/2007 6:13pm,
So droberts, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83).

Omega Supreme
6/17/2007 6:15pm,
Bill Mailman's lineage?

johnny3443
6/17/2007 6:21pm,
Welcome and thanks for posting.

droberts
6/17/2007 6:23pm,
No I dont think so. He had trained in Hung Gar when he lived over on the east coast before he started doing Kenpo. I dont know the name of the Hung Gar guy but he trained with Villari when he was learning from Cerio. Him and Villari left and were doing the Shaolin Kenpo thing. Mr. Pearlswig ended up disagreeing with Villari's business practices and decided to start his own school here in Oregon.

Thaiboxerken
6/17/2007 6:25pm,
If you move to Portland, there are plenty of decent places to train. SBG has a place downtown. Impact has a place in Beaverton. I train in Tigard at Oregon Martial Arts. In the Greshem area is Team Quest. North Portland has Portland Muay Thai Academy (next to 'A Place to Shoot')

droberts
6/17/2007 6:31pm,
Well Ill be going to PSU so hopefully I live right in one of those apartment buildings thats right by the campus. I was kind of looking at that one Wing Chun place but they dont have much on their site so I would have to make a visit. SBG was the main one I was looking at though. They look pretty good. Whats your opinion on SBG?

ViciousFlamingo
6/17/2007 6:39pm,
Well Ill be going to PSU so hopefully I live right in one of those apartment buildings thats right by the campus. I was kind of looking at that one Wing Chun place but they dont have much on their site so I would have to make a visit. SBG was the main one I was looking at though. They look pretty good. Whats your opinion on SBG?

For the love of god don't waste your life on wing chun like I have. SBG as an organization is generally highly respected around here, I don't know anything about the gym.

droberts
6/17/2007 6:45pm,
What's wrong with Wing Chun? Not trying to start an argument just curious about your opinion.

ViciousFlamingo
6/17/2007 6:55pm,
What's wrong with Wing Chun? Not trying to start an argument just curious about your opinion.

In my experience and the experience of many ex-chunners on this board, training almost always consists of forms and chi sau, with little to no real sparring. Often there's an emphasis on trapping or blocking, in the sense that every punch can be stopped, yet in hard sparring and fighting that kind of mindset collapses, punches can be thrown way too fast to have any kind of response that will block any attack. And there's a tendency to teach a "if he does A I'll counter with B, then he'll do C and I'll counter with D" and learning complex chains of techniques that will almost never arise in a real situation, as opposed to learning simple techniques and then applying them in a live sparring situation. In short, it's unrealistic.

There are tales of schools that have "the real wing chun" that spar hard and train well, but I have yet to see one. I suppose there's the possibility that they're out there, but SBG is a known quantity, and can be expected to be a good school with very functional training, so why go to the trouble?

Thaiboxerken
6/17/2007 6:56pm,
Wing Chun isn't usually taught by people who actually fight or coach any fighters or have anything to do with fighting.

droberts
6/17/2007 7:00pm,
Huh. Well when the time comes I'll probably stop in just for the hell of it. Im pretty set on going to straight blast but I figure I'll just stop in anyways to see what they are all about.

ViciousFlamingo
6/17/2007 7:33pm,
Huh. Well when the time comes I'll probably stop in just for the hell of it. Im pretty set on going to straight blast but I figure I'll just stop in anyways to see what they are all about.

Go for it, who knows, you may discover the true wing chun. Good luck.

droberts
6/18/2007 7:09pm,
Hey I just read that the Wing Chun in Portland is taught by a student of Chris Chan(Chan Shing). I searched him on this site but didnt find anything. Any thoughts on him?