PDA

View Full Version : New to shodan and this place.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sakura
6/15/2007 2:07pm,
I happened to run across this place and liked what I saw. I've been looking for a forum where I can learn more not just about my style, but other styles. I don't believe that there is any one style that is necessarily better than any other. It is all dependent on the skill and dedication of the student.

I am a student of Shorinryu Matsumura Seito (traditional Okinawan) karate. I studied a year and half in high school, left for seven years, and came back four years ago. Since then, I've dropped 85 pounds, found a new confidence, and was just awarded shodan on June 2. As of now, I am the only woman black belt at the dojo. We had one woman just ahead of me get to 1st Dan - then she dropped out because of an attitude snit. I can't believe she got that far to drop out. Karate has become an almost consuming addiction with me now....my life revolves around the dojo. I couldn't imagine leaving.

Sakura

OmegaBot
6/15/2007 2:08pm,
BULL RUSH ON Sakura!!!

Wolf
6/15/2007 2:25pm,
Welcome aboard. I hope you have a thick skin. This is a tough place, but as long as you can take a joke (mostly bad ones) and can defend your points well you should do fine.

Sakura
6/15/2007 2:35pm,
I have to have a thick skin....

1) Many men seem to think that women are made of glass and won't hit you hard enough. How am I supposed to body-toughen if they won't touch me?

2) I grew up with and older and younger brother - no sisters. You learn to take a LOT - I can even show the scars.

Sakura

Boyd
6/15/2007 3:41pm,
"Body-toughen".

You know if this thread were anywhere but Newbietown I'd being teeing off furiously on your clumsy karate nomenclature, right?

Wolf
6/15/2007 4:01pm,
I have to have a thick skin....

1) Many men seem to think that women are made of glass and won't hit you hard enough. How am I supposed to body-toughen if they won't touch me?

2) I grew up with and older and younger brother - no sisters. You learn to take a LOT - I can even show the scars.

Sakura

Has nothing to do with your gender. We have a couple of pretty damn tough girls on this site already. We also, just get a lot of people that come on here and then get pissed off when they aren't welcomed immediately with open arms and are asked to earn the respect they feel they deserve immediately.

colonelpong2
6/15/2007 6:23pm,
I'd recommend this one for adoption. Seems sincere and interested.
I would offer to adopt myself, but Im too iresponsible and my spelling is to awfal

Thaiboxerken
6/15/2007 6:26pm,
Sakura, you can post a picture of yourself wearing your new black belt. Just the black belt, and nothing else.

colonelpong2
6/15/2007 6:28pm,
Sakura, you can post a picture of yourself wearing your new black belt. Just the black belt, and nothing else.

Hey! I thought it was Sushi's job to make the first sexist suggestions to noobs?

Thaiboxerken
6/15/2007 6:29pm,
It's not sexist, it's sexual. I'm as smooth and subtle as a train wreck.

FickleFingerOfFate
6/15/2007 6:38pm,
It's not sexist, it's sexual. I'm as smooth and subtle as a train wreck.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/FickleFingerOfFate/train_wreck.jpg

I thought I recognised you.

alex
6/15/2007 10:49pm,
It is all dependent on the skill and dedication of the student.

what you meant to say is that its dependent on the skill of the coach and the dedication of the student

also the only REAL shodan is an A.I. program

aaaargh
6/16/2007 9:50pm,
Welcome to Bullshido.

I don't believe that there is any one style that is necessarily better than any other. It is all dependent on the skill and dedication of the student.

Just FYI...

If by "better" you mean "better for fighting," most posters here would disagree with you.
For example, someone who studies fan dancing for five years will not learn to fight as well as they would have if they did five years of boxing.

Sakura
6/18/2007 7:22am,
Thanks for the welcomes. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. You didn't scare me off. I don't have net at my house so I have to wait until I get to work to check in.

Has nothing to do with your gender. We have a couple of pretty damn tough girls on this site already. We also, just get a lot of people that come on here and then get pissed off when they aren't welcomed immediately with open arms and are asked to earn the respect they feel they deserve immediately.

Respect is something you have to earn and I expect nothing right away.....working for shodan has taught me that. I apologize for any mistakes I might make ahead of time and I accept whatever correction might be given. Sometimes what I mean doesn't come out quite right. I'm just happy to have a place to learn and talk with people who have the same interest. I get really sick of people who just don't have a clue and think that karate is all Mr. Miyagi and bad 70's kung fu movies. Yes, there is a crane technique and no, it doesn't look anything like that.:BangHead:

I'm flattered. I would.......but I don't want to make anyone sick. Making everyone puke would be such bad form for a noob.

A.I. program

That's a term I'm not familiar with. Please explain?

If by "better" you mean "better for fighting," most posters here would disagree with you.

I'm still a relatively young student, in terms of age (29) and time in training, and based on what I've observed at some large tournaments it seems like no style repeatedly comes out on top with any kind of consistancy. My thought was that every style has its strengths and weaknesses. Am I flawed in this observation?

Asriel
6/18/2007 7:26am,
No no, you're right in that all styles have their strengths and weaknesses. It's just that some styles have more strengths and others more weaknesses. Have a look at the style vs style videos on here to get an idea of what I mean.

Thaiboxerken
6/18/2007 11:04am,
Am I flawed in this observation?

Do you watch many MMA events?