PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it!?

Andrewww
6/14/2007 2:48am,
Cookie?

Virus
6/14/2007 3:18am,
No it isn't worth it. I didn't read your post beyond "Okay .. this is my mo fecking problem. Iv'e been taking classes at the Taber Karate..."

Mas
6/14/2007 3:30am,
So you're not learning anything, it's not a good workout, there's no sparring, AND you're paying them.

Oh yeah, definately stay.

And find a real Judo school!

Virus
6/14/2007 3:37am,
The only other option is t3h TKD? Ouch! Time to buy a heavybag and a boxing DVD and crappling your little brother out the backyard.

Andrewww
6/14/2007 3:37am,
Dude I'd love to take Judo. No club around my town though so... ****!

Andrewww
6/14/2007 3:39am,
The only other option is t3h TKD? Ouch! Time to buy a heavybag and a boxing DVD and crappling your little brother out the backyard. Lol, Hell yeah ... I usually rely on my 1000 pounds 60 year old heavy bag to challange me.

fes_fsa
6/14/2007 3:45am,
you could always try the TKD. there are a few people here who train in that style. maybe you can ask them what to look for in a good school.

Asriel
6/14/2007 4:13am,
It's certainly worth looking at the TKD school. There's always a possibility that it'll be ok and it can't be much worse than your current Karate School. Are there no Boxing gyms around?

TheBullshid0zer
6/14/2007 4:17am,
Legend has it that a mythicla form of TKD called the ITF TKD exists, in this form of TKD punches are thrown and sparring is full contact... Give your TKD place a go, maybe you will find the holly grail oops t3h r34l TKD.

Andrewww
6/14/2007 4:24am,
Yeah it is ITF ... I don't know much about TKD though.

HonkyTonkMan
6/14/2007 5:49am,
Not much to know.

If they allow punches to the head, and moderate to heavy contact. Then try it.

If you go in and there are ten thousand point sparring trophies and forms trophies sitting around then leave.

TKD can be fun if taught correctly. Try one class.
After you try that class, then go to the local library and get a tutor to teach you English.

Have a TKD day.

solfish
6/14/2007 7:56am,
Yeah it is ITF ... I don't know much about TKD though.

I've trained in 4 different ITF TKD clubs, 3 in the UK ane one in Canada. Only one (the last one I trained at and left for kickboxing) was as bad as your current dojo sounds. I would check it out. At least at all of them the minimum I got was a fairly good work out.

ronaldk
6/14/2007 9:56am,
i'm sorry, but isn't ITF TKD point sparring, with point-stop?

they only allow full contact after blackbelt.

it will all depend on the instructor of the school. if he is not some kid, ie. in his mid to late 30s or early 40s, there is a big chance he trained back in the day where there was little distinction between karate/TKD/kempo rules. everyone just fought full contact, bare-knuckle or with small "karate" gloves, and maybe even used a takedown or two. at least thats how it was around here.

if you luck out, as i did, you might find an instructor with some boxing experience as well. i train WTF, where the olympic rules don't allow head punches, but we work on boxing as well, sometimes exclusively.

make sure your instructor stresses good technique and strong technique. ie. he wants you to hit hard, not just "right" or "pretty".

solfish
6/14/2007 10:15am,
i'm sorry, but isn't ITF TKD point sparring, with point-stop?

they only allow full contact after blackbelt.

I've only ever sparred light continuous in ITF-TKD. I've heard of, but never experienced, point-stop for green belt and below in competitions. The level of acceptable contact goes up as you go up the belts. Black belts go pretty much full contact, but the fact you can still score well with front leg side kicks etc still means the fights are nothing like full contact kickboxing.

ronaldk
6/14/2007 10:47am,
ah well. according to my kickboxer friend, the differences from how my instructor trains to his kickboxing gym (he came over a couple times, took about 8 hours of training with me at my school) is we train for more continuous striking. at his gym, they're more 1-2 hits at a time. we also use back kicks more often, which he learned to love after he got his technique down right. we use high kicks more often, and easier (he sometimes saw an opening for a headkick when we sparred, but couldn't exploit it, he says). he also boxes better than me, but thats cuz he's jsut way too fast. that was kind of it.