PDA

View Full Version : FIGHT IN FLIGHT - THE NEW MISTRESS OF MIXED MARTIAL ARTS

PizDoff
6/08/2007 3:11pm,
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/5051/temp043ayq3.jpg
Yeah, she's cute, but if you don't behave yourself, Jennifer Santiago will kick your butt.

FIGHT IN FLIGHT
THE NEW MISTRESS OF MIXED MARTIAL ARTS

By JENNIFER FERMINO

June 6, 2007 -- Meet Jennifer Santiago, a gorgeous, five-foot-two, 120-lb pro butt kicker who is being hailed as one of the toughest female competitors in the country.

"People underestimate me," says the 24-year-old. "They have a stereotype of fighters that are women. They think they are ugly and look like men. So they see me and think I must be no good."

Those people would be wrong.

Santiago is an undefeated star of martial arts legend Chuck Norris' burgeoning World Combat League, racking up an impressive eight wins including a 19-second knockout. She's also a 2003 and 2004 Golden Glove champion, and has developed quite a following at the West Village's posh Printing House Fitness Club.

It all began for her as a little girl growing up on East Seventh Street.

"I've been doing martial arts since I was 4 years old," she says, crediting her father and older brother with sparking her interest.

By six, she was competing in the sport karate circuit. At eight, she won her first championship.

Soon enough, she was winning trophies in three martial arts categories: fighting, forms, and weapons.

She competed for the next 15 years, and worked her way up to a six-degree black belt, but never dreamed that she'd be a pro fighter.

"I wanted to be a doctor."

However successful Santiago gets, there's one person who'll probably never see her in the ring - her Bayamon-born mother, Jeannie Santiago.

"She wanted to see my last fight, and I told her no," says Santiago. "I thought she'd have a heart attack.

Santiago's next World League Combat fight is in August.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06062007/tempo/fight_in_flight_tempo_jennifer_fermino.htm

Actually Chuck's competition is a stand-up striking only, no grappling allowed event....

kwoww
6/08/2007 3:33pm,
Yet another example of how one can succeed post-McDojo.

cyrijl
6/08/2007 3:35pm,
yeah she's pretty cute for a point fighter

money
6/08/2007 3:46pm,
24 years old and a 6th degree black belt?

Tom Kagan
6/08/2007 4:01pm,
Wait ... WCL is kickboxing, not MMA, right?

Well ... it's not like the NY Post isn't barely one step above The Enquirer.

cyrijl
6/08/2007 4:08pm,
If there were an anti-mma wcl would be it. They are not even allowed to block and defend. It is like studying boxing and taking out slipping, weaving and covering up instead of adding bjj, wrestling and kicks. We need a name for this since anti-mma doesn't quite cover it.

money
6/08/2007 4:29pm,
If there were an anti-mma wcl would be it. They are not even allowed to block and defend. It is like studying boxing and taking out slipping, weaving and covering up instead of adding bjj, wrestling and kicks. We need a name for this since anti-mma doesn't quite cover it.

How about "fucking stupid"? Wait, I think that's already taken.

Teh El Macho
6/08/2007 6:12pm,
Well, I was watching it wcl last night, and at least it was action packed. It's almost like "see who falls first". No strategy other than banging the **** out each other. Entertaining and pretty fucking stupid at the same time.

Roidie McDouchebag
6/08/2007 6:37pm,
I'd use her mouth as a toilet.

Teh El Macho
6/08/2007 6:43pm,
I'd user her mouth to get off, fellatily (sp) speaking, but that's just me.

-- EDIT --

She looks like she's jumping off a trampoline or something

Lu Tze
6/08/2007 7:03pm,
If there were an anti-mma wcl would be it. They are not even allowed to block and defend. It is like studying boxing and taking out slipping, weaving and covering up instead of adding bjj, wrestling and kicks. We need a name for this since anti-mma doesn't quite cover it.Wing chun.

It is Fake
6/08/2007 7:55pm,
Are you thinking of a different event?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWU48ZYdR4Q

It looks like Kickboxing.

I see blocking, kicking, covering up and defending.

It is Fake
6/08/2007 7:59pm,
Oh and before someone says it yes I see the article says MMA.

It just funny how bad they got it wrong on one side.

Then cyrijl's critique is completely wrong on the other side.

Roidie McDouchebag
6/08/2007 8:43pm,
Looks like a WKC flail fight to me.

PizDoff
6/09/2007 12:44am,
I wouldn't mind seeing MMA in that 'ring'. Or a Lei Tai place.
Nothing says '10-count' like throwing someone into the pool/spike pit.

Thaiboxerken
6/09/2007 1:03am,
Are you thinking of a different event?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWU48ZYdR4Q

It looks like Kickboxing.

I see blocking, kicking, covering up and defending.

You must have some weird perception, because if they were doing this, there wouldn't be so many KO's. The WCL takes away points for playing any defensive game.

WHAT ACTIONS WILL BE PENALIZED?

No Clinching- Intentionally tying-up the opponent's arms in an effort to stop them from punching.
No Holding- Grabbing the opponent's body in an effort to stop them from attacking or countering.
No Stalling- Intentionally delaying the action of a contest in any way.
No Passivity- Retreating or circling without striking - or fighting only when the opponent attacks.

It's basically a 3-minute sprint to see who can be the first to get KO'd.