PDA

View Full Version : Hello

bpomeroy
6/07/2007 12:48am,
I trained for years in traditional Japanese MA (i.e. Jujutsu, Iaido,etc). I was fortunate to have had a competent & sincere instructor that was never concerned with rank, politics, lineage (although we were affiliated with 2 different groups to stay up on various issues) & other related BS. His focus was always on training, especially the mechanics. There was never any recognition of "chi" or energy & I know he was anathema to "ninja" & "samurai" types. He always picked up on that stuff upon first meeting & wouln't invite them back. Additonally, he had a solid career outside of the MA so he didn't need the money. I trained with him for 8 years up until he retired. That was 3 years ago & I haven't had the urge to return to the arts. Part of me just feels that MA was a good, solid period in my life & the other half is simply disheartened by how much BS is involved with it...it's mindblowing to say the least.

I came across this site & found it very interesting. I enjoy the frank discussions. The trouble with these other boards is not only the timid postings concerning the legitmacy of lineage, current soke, blah blah blah; but also the incredibly dogmatic adherance that can find its way into MA. It often resmbles something more of a cult than training. But then again, that seems to be the case when you institutionalize anything (i.e. religion, philosophy).

Needless to say, I'm still interested in MA & am still inspired by the notion of Budo; but at this point I'd rather train sincerely with like-minds off the radar & away from politics, wannabe samurai, & the rest of the variables within the "bullshido" equation. Looking forward to future discourse.

Stay up comrades - BP

TKDBot
6/07/2007 12:49am,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, bpomeroy. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

slideyfoot
6/07/2007 6:51am,
That was 3 years ago & I haven't had the urge to return to the arts. Part of me just feels that MA was a good, solid period in my life & the other half is simply disheartened by how much BS is involved with it...it's mindblowing to say the least.

Welcome to Bullshido!

Would be a shame if you gave up on martial arts: there are a lot of people who take time out, then regret not having gone back sooner. If you've mainly been put off by the BS, then I'd suggest you give something like BJJ, muay thai, boxing, wrestling or judo a try - all those styles are generally very low on BS, so should provide the kind of good, solid training you remember from 3 years ago.