PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock Submission Fighting (SSF)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

panthersix
5/26/2007 9:00am,
Sorry if this has been posted before (I did try the search function with no results), but does anyone have any experience with the SSF style of MMA? I was looking for a local gym (Raleigh-Durham area of NC) to learn Muay Tai, but I found a gym in Durham that teaches SSF.

Any comments on what to expect or if it is worth the money are appreciated.

Thanks much,

Panthersix

panthersix
6/09/2007 8:27am,
Dang, 111 views and no info on SSF? WTF?

Virus
6/09/2007 9:43am,
Google it.

Ke?poFist
6/09/2007 9:54am,
*shrugs*

Shamrock? Which one made it? You can either expect lackluster standup with an affection for leglock submissions, or a general asshole "I'm holier-than-thou/all" attitude, with a tendency to insult your opponents and/or cheat.

GIJoe6186
6/09/2007 3:37pm,
It depends, just go look.

From what I remember, its not its own school. Its a system that TKD and other non MMA places learn and then teach as a side program. I would not do it if thats the case, better off finding a full time MMA gym from better qualified guys.

However, if its a full time MMA place or at least the instructor isnt also the TKD instructor and has credentials other then the SSF, then go for it.

In other words, go try it out.

panthersix
6/09/2007 7:32pm,
Thanks! Here's the website for the school, looks good to me.

http://www.eastcoastsubmissions.com/programs.htm

meng_mao
6/09/2007 8:30pm,
Hi dude. I trained in what was then called the Shamrock Training Center in San Jose in the summer of 2005. Frank and Kelly Dullanty were the instructors. I can answer any questions you have about the style or teaching philosophy, but essentially, it's Frank's MMA style, which is perfectly serviceable. At the time, I was an absolute grappling noob, but I thought that the teachings were more catch than positional, aka go for subs and not as position-centric as BJJ.

As for affiliates, I think the instructors need to be the highest level of 'belt.' I think there were 3 levels: grey shirt, blue shirt, red shirt. So you have to be a red shirt to open an affiliated school.

Yeah, so ask away.

Roidie McDouchebag
6/09/2007 8:56pm,
KempoFist you fucking TUF noob, STFU

GIJoe6186
6/09/2007 9:05pm,
KempoFist hates Shamrock because hes jealous. :)

Shamrock was a monster in his prime and just because he got old doesnt mean hes still not e legend.

Shamrock has just been in the sport too long. If he just started today, Im sure he would just as well. A great fighters a great fighter. If your concerned about his attitude, go watch some Lifetime.

LOL "Lifetime, television for Kempofist" heheheehe

Virus
6/09/2007 9:08pm,
Go there if you want the r34l catchwrestle.

Roidie McDouchebag
6/09/2007 9:14pm,
KEN Shamrock IS a bum, and saying so is both necessary and reasonable. Frank Shamrock only seems cocky or annoying to TUF noobs.

Fighting Cephalopod
6/09/2007 9:39pm,
KEN Shamrock IS a bum, and saying so is both necessary and reasonable. Frank Shamrock only seems cocky or annoying to TUF noobs.

Frank Shamrock is a cocky prick, and has been for over a decade. He used to be a cocky prick who backed it up in the ring; now he's just a cocky prick.

couch13
6/09/2007 10:07pm,
Frank Shamrock is a cocky prick, and has been for over a decade. He used to be a cocky prick who backed it up in the ring; now he's just a cocky prick.

the cockiness is marketing. the way it works is that with most fights you have two types of viewers, fans of certain fighters and those just wanting to see a fight. when people like shamrock or ortiz fight, there are three types of viewers, fans of certain fighters, those that just want to see a fight and those who hate one of the fighters. Therefore, being a cocky prick is good buisness.

Roidie McDouchebag
6/09/2007 10:08pm,
See my previous statement about TUF noobs.

couch13
6/09/2007 10:22pm,
ok, i know this is really off topic, but how long until the little noob thing disappears?

Fighting Cephalopod
6/09/2007 11:13pm,
See my previous statement about TUF noobs.

See my having been training MMA since 2002.