PDA

View Full Version : PRIDE + UFC Finalized!

Ke?poFist
5/24/2007 2:37pm,
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7639

Apparently, it's a done deal. Can it be true? Is it possible?

Bladesinger
5/24/2007 2:43pm,
Huh, I thought it was closed some time ago. They certainly made it seem that way on that 10th anniversary special PPV thing they had.

Obviously, I were wrong. Now I'm all confused. Whatever shall I do?!

Sit and wait, I expect. Talk nonsense, certainly.

Teh El Macho
5/24/2007 3:01pm,
Hmmmm, ****-o interesante.

According to the sherdog article, the following:

[indent]Citing Issues with several PRIDE fighter contracts, on Wednesday MMAWeekly.com reported that there is a class action lawsuit on behalf of PRIDE fighters looking to get out of their contracts. White, in a conversation with the media on Thursday afternoon, denied any knowledge of the dispute.[/ident]

What's that class action lawsuit about???

Ecks
5/24/2007 3:08pm,
They have something against potty mouths?

Bladesinger
5/24/2007 3:16pm,
What's that class action lawsuit about???

Aren't there at least a few Pride fighters that left the UFC because they didn't like how the UFC handled things? I'd imagine those people wouldn't want to be back in that fold.

That, however, is only a guess.

HANKtheTANK
5/24/2007 6:15pm,
taken from mmaweekly yesterday, might add a bit more info to this mess

BREAKING NEWS:

MMAWeekly.com has confirmed that multiple fighters under contract to DSE and Pride are filing a class action lawsuit against the organization for an undisclosed amount of money.

Reports have come to MMAWeekly that a number of fighters who are still contracted to DSE are filing the lawsuit with a list of complaints against their former employer.

According to sources, DSE requested that Pride fighters assign their contracts to “Pride FC Worldwide” (the new company created in the wake of Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta's proposed buy-out of Pride), and most of the fighters refused to do so.

DSE has apparently countered by threatening to keep the fighters under contract until the organization officially dissolves, which could be held up in court for months or even years.

The class action lawsuit is intended to enable the Pride fighters to either be released from their current contracts and allow them to move on to compete in other MMA organizations; or to be paid for lost wages, training wages (many of the fighters were already preparing for upcoming bouts), and wages surrounding two cancelled Pride shows.

Those involved believe DSE has no intention of running anymore shows under the “Pride” label, but many of the fighters under contract were signed exclusively to Pride, with the only provision that would allow them out of the contracts being to show just cause as to why they should be released and allowed to pursue outside interests.

then there's this article (http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=7640) from today which is quite interesting. Dana white on the record...thought about making a new thread for it to discuss....but whatever....things of interest, his info on Diego sanchez, shogun, etc....I think el macho quoted his post from this article also

Ke?poFist
5/24/2007 6:52pm,
That's real dick, trying to force them to resign with the new Zuffa owned company, or else just locking them in their current contract without fights.

HANKtheTANK
5/24/2007 8:27pm,
and another thing, which i havent verified myself yet, but its from my buddy who works for the fightnetwork, he checked into the stadium (rainbow hall or whatever stadium?) for the listings to see if the LW tournament is still there. Nope! Its been taken off the schedule, after being listed on there for a number of weeks
further signs that Pride will go under

Roidie McDouchebag
5/24/2007 9:25pm,
Meaning that Heroes will replace Pride and continue to compete, badly in the American market, with the UFC, and the UFC wasted huge amounts of money.

HANKtheTANK
5/24/2007 10:10pm,
thats if K1s less than stellar reputation gets approved by the commission! To date, they havent been approved, and they're not off to a good start when one of their stars already got denied a license (hong man choi).....and by the looks of it, probably sakuraba will fail too...

I think Dana White (or more appropriately, Mark Ratner) has a hand in all these denials....

spirez
5/25/2007 12:07pm,
Sanchez's Staph infection sounds pretty damn severe!

Roidie McDouchebag
5/26/2007 3:27am,
thats if K1s less than stellar reputation gets approved by the commission

Whether or not.