PDA

View Full Version : Common Sense - In Short Supply

Pages : [1] 2

Pandinha
8/26/2003 10:50pm,
This has been submitted as an article. Feedback is appreciated.

==========

Lately, we have been receiving quite a few Traditional Martial Artist exponent's to Bullshido. They are full of insightful, intelligent, and colorful information. Their posts ring with such authority on such subjects like grappling, notably Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or as I use the correct name, Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

I enjoy immensely their rhetoric that BJJ is no good in a bar, on the ground with 20 friends of your opponent stomping on your head. Now, let's look at it from the Striker's point of view. You are fighting the same guy, he still has 20 friends. What is the difference? That it takes longer for you to go to the ground and get stomped by the same 20 friends? Unreal stupidity from our Striking TMA brethren.

There is an old saying, "Choose your battles wisely". This is inherent to all forms of combat, including personal. I am a proud and rather verbose BJJ Exponent. I believe BJJ to be the best personal one on one combative out there. It has been proven time and time again. My chances of running into a Maurice Smith, or a Frank Shamrock in the real world is worse than me winning the lottery. On the other side of the coin, I would be a total, absolute, IDIOT for escalating a confrontation with someone who has 20 friends waiting to take turns curb stomping my bald Asian head. Which leads me to writing this article.

No matter what Martial Art, Combative, Martial Science, BLAH BLAH BLAH, you study, it doesn't mean a damn thing if you do not use common sense. What do I mean by that? Why in God's name would you walk down a dark alley if you don't have to, because it's a shortcut? Why do you stay around a bar when you feel that you are not wanted there, and have been receiving hard stares? Why did you walk into that crack house? Why? Why? Why put yourself in a situation where you cannot guarantee that you can get out without any damage to you or your loved ones? Why didn't you use what everyone of us have, COMMON SENSE?

For our new posters who study Striking/TMA... Common Sense dictates that in a bar, I am not going pull guard on a guy I am about to fight with. Common Sense dictates that I do not pick fights with multiple opponents. Common Sense dictates that I am not INDESTRUCTIBLE. Most of you TMA's don't know what it is to get smacked full force, let alone grappling. I got tapped today rolling with a guy out of the blue as I was passing his guard, he arm barred me, I had a half second to tap or get my arm broken. I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO TAP HIM! That is the nature of combat. You cannot guess, you cannot glean, you cannot predict what is going to happen, it is chaos, pure and simple. You retards that say, if someone shoots in, I'm gonna knee him in the face. Yeah, okay. Let me shoot in as I jab your nose in. All thoughts of kneeing me go right out the window.

I'm sure I've raised the ire of some of you. I hope I did. I hope you take that anger and go find a grappler and spar with them. Go Vale Tudo with a Gracie Blue Belt. See how you do. I hope you extrapolate the information you receive, on the beating end, and increase your knowledge base and learn to fight in all ranges.

This isn't Anthony beat on the non grappling Bullshido members, more, please don't box yourself in and open your eyes to what really works. The only way is to test yourself. Strikers and TMA's bring up the street quite a bit. If you don't test your skills in the Dojo, how in God's name do you think it will work in the street?

I wish you luck and I hope someone listens.

==================
"When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado

Fisting Kittens
8/26/2003 11:11pm,
whatever. Personally I find your unabashed gracie nuthugging just as distasteful as the TMA stupidity.

I do MMA and TMA and I'm very happy with what I get out of my training. However, I've met MORE delusional fucktards in MMA and Grappling than I EVER have in TMA. 99% of the TMAs I know don't claim to be badasses, they train for enjoyment. They like the arts they practice, nuff said. The 1% I've known who think they are badasses, well, 99% of them actually are. In fact the scariest fighters I've ever known have all but 2 been TMAs. Odd huh?

Anyway in my experience from BJJ and MMA (though not so much in my judo club) the exponents all spout the same **** that you do AA without realizing that though their art may be pretty damn good, they personally fucking suck. They are predominantly cocky fuckheads. Most MMAers I've known are roidhead cocky fuckheads too. Even the MMAers and Grapplers that admit they aren;t that great in their own chosen sport/art cling to the pathetic delusion that they can still kick the crap out of most any TMAer. What a bunch of horseshit.

so again I say whatever. You take your extreme position and they'll take theirs. While anyone with ANY fucking sense (presupposing the desire to be a good fighter) quietly trains in both striking and grappling and ignores the whole fucking debate.

Phoenix
8/26/2003 11:12pm,
Os is right. It's basically common sense, as you said it yourself. And, sadly, very few people find that easy to understand.

But it was an excellent post anyway, Anthony.

Pandinha
8/26/2003 11:21pm,
whatever. Personally I find your unabashed gracie nuthugging just as distasteful as the TMA stupidity.

I do MMA and TMA and I'm very happy with what I get out of my training. However, I've met MORE delusional fucktards in MMA and Grappling than I EVER have in TMA. 99% of the TMAs I know don't claim to be badasses, they train for enjoyment. They like the arts they practice, nuff said. The 1% I've known who think they are badasses, well, 99% of them actually are. In fact the scariest fighters I've ever known have all but 2 been TMAs. Odd huh?

Anyway in my experience from BJJ and MMA (though not so much in my judo club) the exponents all spout the same **** that you do AA without realizing that though their art may be pretty damn good, they personally fucking suck. They are predominantly cocky fuckheads. Most MMAers I've known are roidhead cocky fuckheads too. Even the MMAers and Grapplers that admit they aren;t that great in their own chosen sport/art cling to the pathetic delusion that they can still kick the crap out of most any TMAer. What a bunch of horseshit.

so again I say whatever. You take your extreme position and they'll take theirs. While anyone with ANY fucking sense (presupposing the desire to be a good fighter) quietly trains in both striking and grappling and ignores the whole fucking debate.

---------
Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn

Wow Fisting Kittens, you would have been the one I would have thought of to respond that way.

So nutriding aside, what did you think of the rhetoric? Or the questioning of using one's common sense?

Do you believe that because someone trains in MMA and TMA that they are badasses and should pick fights in bars with 20 other people?

Or how about, those same Badasses, they can walk around in questionable dark alleys, put themselves in situations that they can easily avoid by leaving, because they are badasses?

==================
"When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado

Fisting Kittens
8/26/2003 11:26pm,
eh? My apologies AA, I didn't read the whole post. I read the first 2 paragraphs, and thought I was in for more of the same old same old; got pissed and posted.

I completely agree with the common sense angle you wrote about.

Pandinha
8/26/2003 11:28pm,
No worries FK! The BJJ angle was due to alot of posting about BJJ and it's effectiveness.

Well, you already know I am the ultimate Gracie Nutrider, I can't help writing about it! =o)

==================

TaeBo_Master
8/26/2003 11:36pm,

Very well said. Also the reason you rarely see me getting into these debates :D

If he scoots out too aggressively his body may go shooting out like a champaign cork and go flying into the audience, leaving a gingerbread man-shaped hole in the wall. -- Boyd

Free Internet Business - http://www.quickinfo247.com/8288424/FREE

HAPKO3
8/26/2003 11:40pm,
Good post.

After a year or so on this forum, I am still absolutely fucking dumbfounded, with surprising regularity, by the sheer idiocy of some people. Common sense is indeed in short supply. Hell, it's been in my signature for a while now.

Pandinha
8/26/2003 11:43pm,
Taebo Master,

I pose the same questions to you. Nutriding aside, whether TMA or MMA, do you believe that these situations that are brought up could be easily averted by using common sense?

Or do you believe that by training whether stand up or grappling will enable a person to withstand any situation they are placed in?

==================

TaeBo_Master
8/26/2003 11:52pm,
Of course I agree with you on the common sense issue AA.

The brain is every person's best tool, whether a fighter, and engineer, etc. You win every fight you don't get into (unless you're talking about the ring..). This is also why I say the fighter and not the style is the single most important aspect of a battle. Don't grapple a grappler if you're a striker, don't strike a striker if you're a grappler. If you're a weak grappler, get better, and vice versa. All of life's problems can be solved by using your head. And alcohol.

If he scoots out too aggressively his body may go shooting out like a champaign cork and go flying into the audience, leaving a gingerbread man-shaped hole in the wall. -- Boyd

Free Internet Business - http://www.quickinfo247.com/8288424/FREE

J-kid
8/27/2003 12:41am,
GP, I agree and its about time someone stood up and said something about that bullshit.

Das Moose
8/27/2003 4:18am,
Good article, Anthony.

[Das Moose]

Chum Sut is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are beaten.

Chum Sut Total Fighting - www.chumsut.com

SCO
8/27/2003 4:35am,
Well, I'll jot down a few things, take it or leave it.

UFC didn`t invent grappling, many were just ignorant about it. The practical folks always respected grapplers.
Remember getting laughed at for stating the bleeding obvious : Decent grapplers are very dangerous (response was: What do you want with that gay ****?).

Wouldn`t want to practice any MA over years just to defend mayself on the legendary "street". That`s paranoid. That being said, "streetfighting" is not match fighting. Anyone sane stays away from that ****. Some of the worst have no formal background whatsoever, by the way. Grappling is good, but going down yourself can be very bad.

"I am a proud and rather verbose BJJ Exponent."
Nothing wrong with that.

"I would be a total, absolute, IDIOT for escalating a confrontation with someone who has 20 friends waiting to take turns curb stomping my bald Asian head."

I would consider anyone an idiot for consciously escalating a situation in the first place.
If you`re smart, most **** can be avoided. For the small rest you will not have much choice regarding the scenario/circumstances.
The importance of MA is generally exaggerated by its practitioners.

Thinking you will know in advance whether its 101 - you may have a completely different social setting compared to the ones I know, so it might be true for you, I don`t know. It`s wrong in the places I know. (Hopefully) "fair" real life match fights are mostly avoidable if you`re a grown up.

------------------------
The torture never stops.

SLJ
8/27/2003 4:58am,
Great article, I'm afraid your time has been wasted though.

Everybody KNOWS ALL BJJ fighters jump to their gaurds, and then, when down there, an UNTRAINED person can easily stop them applying a submission or sweep to attain a better posistion.

A valient attempt Ant.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"I have the power!" - He-man. The most powerful man in the Universe.
(Short, sharp and to the point. Redefining the quotations of heros.)

J-kid
8/27/2003 5:13am,
**** i dont pull guard and i do bjj (well and about 4 other martial arts) but the point is not every single person that dos BJJ will pull guard.

SLJ
8/27/2003 5:24am,
GOOD GOD J-kid! I was joking!

I was merely relaying the logic of certain NOOB members.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"I have the power!" - He-man. The most powerful man in the Universe.
(Short, sharp and to the point. Redefining the quotations of heros.)