PDA

View Full Version : How will Pro-MMA affect college wrestling?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

JimmyZ
5/04/2007 2:28pm,
If the UFC and pro MMA continues to rise in prestige and fighter pay, it may hopefully start to draw in more of the athletes that would have otherwise gone into the big 3 US pro sports (base-basket-foot ball). The other sports all have an established farm/college system that people go into as they pursue those sports. The closest thing I can think of for an MMA farm system is college wrestling.

How might pro-MMA affect the college wrestling world? Does anyone currently involved with college wrestling see an upsurge of numbers and talent? Do more college wrestlers talk seriously about pursuing MMA careers afterwards?

Just my curious musings...

Ke?poFist
5/04/2007 2:35pm,
considering wrestlers don't have much to go for after college, I'd assume MMA might be an avenue.

meng_mao
5/04/2007 2:38pm,
I think the big mental leap for these guys is if they want to fight, which I feel a large percentage won't have a problem with.

rsobrien
5/04/2007 3:13pm,
Isn't their a pro wrestling league of some kind? Not WWE but I think the rules are basically free style wrestling with a few little quirky thing thrown in. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

meng_mao
5/04/2007 3:18pm,
Isn't their a pro wrestling league of some kind? Not WWE but I think the rules are basically free style wrestling with a few little quirky thing thrown in. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
That thing, while beloved by wrestlers everywhere, was a commercia bomb. Sucks.

ojgsxr6
5/04/2007 3:20pm,
I've wondered about that also. I was wondering, with MMA becoming more mainstream, and the supposed death of boxing, will MMA coaches start scouting the Empire State Games (Boxing, Judo, Wrestling) and the Golden Gloves?

meataxe
5/04/2007 3:24pm,
One thing I have heard Olympic wrestlers complain about is that once they win a medal, there is nothing else for them. Pro wrestling was about the only sport for them, but that wasn't something most wrestlers wanted to pursue.

I think the rise of MMA will keep wrestlers in the sport who might have dropped out otherwise.

yodaman
5/04/2007 3:54pm,
Any professional avenue for athletes who in the past only had an amateur career to look forward to can only be good.

G8
5/04/2007 4:11pm,
I'd be surprised if it made much difference. If professional (competitive) wrestling were blowing up a la MMA, then yes, you'd see more top athletes committing to put in their time in wrestling's minor leagues. but I'd bet that top young athletes interested in going into MMA are more likely to seek straight-up MMA instruction from the beginning, rather than pursue a tangent (particularly one that requires college attendance, which is a definite disincentive to a lot of would-be pros in other sports). I'd bet that UFC & other top MMA organizations will evolve their own integrated minor-league structures before too long.

Kintanon
5/04/2007 4:17pm,
Except that you can get a college scholarship for Wrestling and have a degree AND a good base for MMA. don't underestimate the value of the free/discounted college degree.

G8
5/04/2007 4:35pm,
Except that you can get a college scholarship for Wrestling and have a degree AND a good base for MMA. don't underestimate the value of the free/discounted college degree.

well, sure, there'll probably be guys who are attracted by that. but if there's a parallel minor-league structure available (particularly one that feeds straight into the sport, not merely a related skill), I'd expect most of the top young talent to take that route. minor-league baseball gets the large majority of baseball prospects; the only reason most top football & basketball players put up with the NCAA is because it is the de facto minor league for the NFL & NBA--there's no competing minor-league structure in those sports. let's face it, most top college football & basketball prospects would be happy to drop the "college" BS if they could.

Slydermv
5/04/2007 4:40pm,
A couple of Uni wrestlers train at my gym.. one has a fight next month, the other fought last month.

new2bjj
5/04/2007 6:00pm,
All that college wrestling based stuff is effective, but very boring to watch. The whole lay and pray, ground and pound thing gets very dull after awhile. I start rooting for the Brazilians to beat the hillbilly's, with submissions, just too get them out of the game. Seriously, if people wanted to see real wrestling by now, they'd be watching real wrestling. It's a good martial art, just dulllllllll...

kracker
5/05/2007 11:35pm,
If the UFC and pro MMA continues to rise in prestige and fighter pay, it may hopefully start to draw in more of the athletes that would have otherwise gone into the big 3 US pro sports (base-basket-foot ball). The other sports all have an established farm/college system that people go into as they pursue those sports. The closest thing I can think of for an MMA farm system is college wrestling.

How might pro-MMA affect the college wrestling world? Does anyone currently involved with college wrestling see an upsurge of numbers and talent? Do more college wrestlers talk seriously about pursuing MMA careers afterwards?

Just my curious musings...

Wrestling is important but not the be all end all of MMA. I don't see wrestling as a farm team for MMA any more than ADCC is. If a college wrestler was really serious about fighting UFC he would definitely be smart to think about working on submissions and striking, just like a BJJ guy needs takedowns and striking. With the sport the way it is now, you need all 3 there's just no real way around it.

wakinonioi
5/06/2007 12:10am,
All that college wrestling based stuff is effective, but very boring to watch. It's a good martial art, just dulllllllll...

That's just what most people who don't really understand what they're looking at (which, admittedly IS most people), say.

IzzyDaHedgehog
5/06/2007 12:26am,
well, sure, there'll probably be guys who are attracted by that. but if there's a parallel minor-league structure available (particularly one that feeds straight into the sport, not merely a related skill), I'd expect most of the top young talent to take that route. minor-league baseball gets the large majority of baseball prospects; the only reason most top football & basketball players put up with the NCAA is because it is the de facto minor league for the NFL & NBA--there's no competing minor-league structure in those sports. let's face it, most top college football & basketball prospects would be happy to drop the "college" BS if they could.

Very true. Before my micro-econ final I was listening to one of the football players sitting behind me talking about how he would just as soon quit the Uni and become a "standard blue-collar citizen" if it weren't for football.

---

I could see more people joining their high school wrestling team, certainly. Many of the high schoolers at my old BJJ place trained wrestling concurrently. That's a perfect environment to get a base in conditioning, positioning, and takedowns. If they did well there, they may consider going to college on a scholarship and getting an education as well as getting a lot better at wrestling.

If they didn't want to put up with college, or weren't good enough to get a scholarship, they would still have plenty of wrestling ability to get them started in MMA.