PDA

View Full Version : weight and bjj

whyioughta
5/03/2007 3:14pm,
Ok I suspect I'm going to get thumped a bit for outing myself as overweight, but that's ok. The way I'm going, one day I won't be. In the meantime I could use advice in whatever form it's in.

Thing is, I am getting to the gym regularly now for months and watching what I eat. I'm loosing weight but I am still quite a bit over. I'd like to learn a martial art that involves grappling and ground work, and where I live there are at least two very good schools. I figure from what all I've read and seen that bjj really makes you work out, and so I think that would be good on many levels. Plus they actually spar.

However, at the same time if I'm at 60 pounds overweight (I'm basing this on the minimum military requirements for someone my age and heighth), still too heavy to really get anything out of bjj training, I should probably just keep at what I'm doing.

Any thoughts?

TKDBot
5/03/2007 3:15pm,
Welcome aboard, whyioughta! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

money
5/03/2007 3:18pm,
I'm no expert but I see no reason why you couldn't start BJJ while overweight. It's a great fucking workout, that's for sure.

pauli
5/03/2007 3:32pm,
there's a term for saying "i need to lose weight before i start training" - it's called an excuse, and it's considered unacceptable. you'll lose weight faster training than you will if you don't.

whether you're 60lbs over (debatable, from the sound of your data source) or 160 over, there's no reason to wait before you start training.

personally, i've found that bjj is a handy additional motivator for weight loss - i could be healthy and of acceptable build at my more or less natural weight of 165, but if i can get a shade under 150... well now, that's a whole nother weight class, now isn't it? hell, and i don't even like tournaments...

go now. do bjj.

whyioughta
5/03/2007 3:55pm,
thanks