PDA

View Full Version : Rio jiu-jitsu Chicago /Pete the Greek

chicagoguy
5/01/2007 11:36pm,
Does anybody know anything about the Rio jiu-jitsu school here in Chicago?
The most I know about it is from this post on Subfighter.com:

“I am just informing everyone that my friend and instructor Pete the Greek is finally opening an academy in Chicago. Pete has 11 years in BJJ under Carlson Gracie and he trained and lived in Brazil for three years with Fredson Paixao and Oswaldo Alves. While in Brazil he also trained at Gracie Barra. Pete has trained with many fighters and champions including, Andre Galvao, Jacare, and Terere. Pete was also a teacher at BJ Penns school in Hawaii. Fredson Paixao will be there to help start up the school. Pete is a nice guy who is a great teacher. Everyone is welcome to check out the academy!!!

Rio Jiu-Jitsu Academy
1673 N. Western Ave. Chicago, Il 60647”,

I will be moving soon and am considering attending a different school; I’d like to know this school’s hours, rates, and most importantly, how’s the training there. Thanks.

KungFuBot
5/01/2007 11:37pm,
So chicagoguy, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83).

chicagoguy
5/02/2007 12:30pm,
bump

bump

FictionPimp
5/02/2007 1:00pm,
There is a lot of good jiujitsu in chicago. I'm sure some guys will be along to talk about their club shortly.

chicagoguy
5/27/2007 11:04pm,
Still nothing?

BackFistMonkey
5/27/2007 11:11pm,
Threads explode and lull unexpectedly .

Don't be too eager or it may never pick up . (People are such assholes .)

Judah Maccabee
5/27/2007 11:25pm,
Dude, if you bump your threads that much again, I'm going to go ahead and delete them.

What neighborhood are you planning on moving to in Chicago?

====

I don't know anything about that academy.

chicagoguy
3/08/2008 9:31am,
Simply the best place in Chicago to train. No B.S. just great training in BJJ with great teachers Pete and Rob. If you want to go to an overcrowded school with teachers that have a bad attitude, who just want to see how many push ups you can do, and how much money they can milk you for go some other place. If you want small class sizes, focus on jiu-jitsu, lowest prices in Chicago, teachers that are constantly coaching you to improve your game, and making sure the school is knucklehead free (there isn't a bunch of MMA wannabe's trying to heel hook 130lbs newbies) this is the place. I say again that this is the hands down the best place to train in Chicago everybody there has a great attitude and if you have one to you should come by and check it out!

kimjongillin
3/11/2008 10:25am,
When I found out that Pete was opening a school i was excited to check it out. I knew some people that trained with Pete when he was at Carlson and all say that he is not only a badass at jj and also teaching. My only issue is that when i stopped at the school to check it out Pete wasnt there. then when i called a week later, he is still not there.

i heard that pete is hurt so i am just wondering if he is ever in town and if he can even teach with his injury.

chicagoguy
3/11/2008 12:50pm,
Pete had an injury but he taught/oversaw class most of the time he was injured. He started training again last week but even if for some reason he wasn't there Rob who is simply an awesome brown belt and I believe has done quite well in MMA will be there. Usually they are both there and not only is their jiu-jitsu nothing short of phenomenal, they are simply the best you could hope for in a teacher/coach, besides just being outstanding guys. They both take an active part in the classes and really care about improving your game. You could stop by for a class on Mon. Tue Thur at 6:00 pm or Wen at 6:30pm there is also day classes Tue, Thurs, and Sat 12:00. The class sizes are small and having two great teachers coaching you really helps. I can't say enough good things about this school! Tell him the man with the two pit bulls that lives by the jail sent you! I may not be there tonight I have had to work some overtime but hopefully I'll see you there soon. BTW if you live close I might even be able to give you a ride there if you gave me enough notice.

chicagoguy
3/16/2008 4:16pm,
Fredson Paixao was there this last weekend and gave a killer seminar (he also was doing private lessons). He was really amazing and will be back in the future for those who are interested. Once again a really great school.

chicagoguy
9/04/2010 5:32am,
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
773-235-3200 or [email protected]

RIO JIU JITSU ACADEMY STUDENT AWARDED BY CHICAGO POLICE DEPARTMENT
FOR HAULTING A ROBBERY AND AIDING A VICTIM
Blue belt Joe Eichman credits his training for his quick response and actions
CHICAGO – The Chicago Police Department on Friday August 27 honored one of Rio Jiu Jitsu Academy’s students for his role in thwarting a robbery and aiding a victim.
Police District Commander Judith G. Martin presented Joe Eichman, 39 of Chicago, with an award for going above and beyond the role of a citizen for his actions on the afternoon of July 24. 2010.
At approximately 5:30 p.m. on that afternoon on the 2300 block of Rice Street, Eichman says he witnessed a man punch a woman in the head and drag her along the sidewalk until finally stealing her purse. After chasing the offender for almost two blocks, 6’0” 160 pound Eichman, tackled and then subdued the 6’6” 200 pound offender for nearly 20 minutes while using his jiu jitsu training until law enforcement arrived.
Although Eichman was bitten twice by the offender during the altercation, neither he nor the assaulted woman suffered serious physical injuries. They were both treated and released the evening of July 24 from St. Mary’s hospital in Chicago.
Eichman, a certified Brazilian Jiu Jitsu blue belt has been training at Rio Jiu Jitsu Academy at 1673 N. Western Avenue for almost one year and has also trained in mixed martial arts since 1996. He credits his training with Pete Letsos at Rio Academy with his ability to thwart the robbery and apprehend the offender.
Due to the offender’s attempted escapes and possibility to cause further harm, “I had to utilize the skills I’ve acquired from Rio Jiu Jitsu as well as a few from over the years to keep him restrained for almost 20 minutes until the police arrived.” Eichman said.
Rio Jiu Jitsu opened in 2007 to provide the most effective Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instruction in the world. Chicago native and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt Pete “The Greek” Letsos opened Rio Jiu Jitsu to pass on skills he acquired under the tutelage of Carlson Gracie Jr. and Carlson Gracie Sr.

mcjon
9/04/2010 11:48am,
Glad to see you posting about your school, chicagoguy.

I have a few questions about Rio JJ that I was wondering if you could answer:
1) Do they require contracts, or is payment month to month?
2) How much self defense is taught to beginning students (e.g. Avoiding punches, etc) or is it solely focused on sport BJJ?

Normally, I would just go there myself, but I am doing a lot of traveling for the next month and I just don't have the time (and my car is in the shop). Any info would be helpful.

chicagoguy
9/04/2010 3:24pm,
Self defense is taught. Several great boxers train there. There are several options as far as contracts. Simply the best place to train for sport or self-defense. Give Pete a call and drop by it is well worth your time.

jnp
9/11/2010 9:49am,
If you could explain what "security reasons" are chicagoguy, the staff might be persuaded to edit or remove the post you are concerned about.

Site policy is to remove or edit nothing unless it's spam or NSFW material.

Edit: I just noticed you have enough posts to PM. You can reply that way if you wish.

It is Fake
9/11/2010 9:52am,
If you could explain what "security reasons" are chicagoguy, the staff might be persuaded to edit or remove the post you are concerned about.

Site policy is to remove or edit nothing unless it's spam or NSFW material.
Especially, when the poster put up the information on their own. Send the reason to one of the site admins via PM so, it can be discussed. Unfortunately, "security reasons" is to vague for any action.