PDA

View Full Version : Yo.

ApathyMan
4/29/2007 7:36pm,
Well... here's my first post to get rid of that "ever-so annoying huge text informing me that I haven't posted yet." The admins' devious plan has apparently worked.

I took kempo when I was alot younger... probably bullshido, but that's neither here nor there since I didn't take it for that long.

Also, I've been awfully out of shape for most of my life due to gross inactivity, so I've recently been trying to change that. I lost over 20 lbs. last year and gained a li'l muscle and atheleticism... but this was with very sporadic workouts and only a mild change in eating habits, so I could have lost a lot more.

So I'm thinking that studying a martial art, something that I've really wanted to take up again for a while now, would really add some extra purpose to working out. I had seriously considered taking Aikido for a while, and after reading some of the stuff on this website... I'm thinkin' of joining the Judo club in town after classes end. Thanks for showing me the light on that subject, Bullshido.

OmegaBot
4/29/2007 7:37pm,
So ApathyMan, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83).

WorldWarCheese
4/29/2007 10:21pm,
Hi, nice to hear you want to get back into MA.
I do Judo, and lemme tell you: it's great. Grappling an' such.

But before I start to ride Kano's nuts I should tell you: Make sure to look around a bit, have some trial classes, scope out the atmosphere and teaching quality before joining anything. Make sure what you're learning is legit, and the teacher isn't some kuckleheak (if it's Judo he'll pro'lly be in USJA or USJF which are a good indicator that it's a quality Judo club)

Furthermore: if fitness is your only goal then Judo should only be an addition to an already healthy workout routine. I am a fat bastard and I'll stay one if I don't eat right and go to the gym and jog, but this doesn't mean Judo won't help you. I have lost some poundage but the biggest health-related deal is I know I've gotten stronger (in the muscle-y sense) and Judo was a big part of that.

Now for the nutriding: Judo's f-ing GREAT. Throws are an important part of controlling a fight, so controlling the takedown usually means controlling the initial groundwork. It has all the basic ground work you'll see in other grappling arts and some parts unique to Judo. It's an Olympic Sport and is hugely popular (for good reasons) in Asia, American and Europe (I heard some Polar Bears might even have joined the IJF) and guess what? It's the perfect bear defense!!! Didn't ye know that back when Judo was young, up and comers would go into the mountains and legend has it that they'd wrestle bears! So there you have it: The Perfect Art: JUDO!