PDA

View Full Version : newbie changing lifestyle

1234lowb
4/27/2007 6:30pm,
Hi, first post:

I've been reading some posts around here and its fascinating to find out all about MMAs. You guys know a lot and I hope to learn more about you guys.

About me: No previous training. I'm in it for the exercise, to learn how to self-defend, and for developing mental strength.

About fitness: I'm trying to change my lifestyle. Have been eating junk and not exercising properly (on and off) and am wondering whether I should get my fitness up to scratch before starting a MA.

Looking around at BJJ or Judo as a start but haven't committed.

Ps: Based in Sydney

Cheers guys.

GhostOfKimura
4/27/2007 6:31pm,
We knew you could do it! 1234lowb posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

aaaargh
4/27/2007 9:20pm,
Good for you, taking the plunge.

I think you're on the right track, grappling is fantastic exercise and works every muscle in the body. I get sore in places I never thought possible.

Assuming you're a healthy person-
You could train to get in shape before your first class... but that delays starting and risks losing your will to start. I'd just jump right in, go to class and exercise as much as you can tolerate outside of class, and get it over with. It will be tough for the first few weeks, but once you get past that first hump it'll be worth it. Good luck!