PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Englander

T/C Danny
4/25/2007 7:45pm,
Hello everyone,

Love the site! I'm a student who is at home due to ill health and who hasn't been able to train for six months which has been V annoying. University is in Aberystwyth (doubt if anyones heard of is but its worth a shot!) and home is in Brackley, near Oxford.

When not having a Crohn's flair up I train in Tiger/Crane Combination kung fu which is basically very similar to Southern White Crane. I also enjoy practicing boxing, thai boxing and judo. Just before I got ill I had my first san shou fight (semi contact) and really enjoyed it. When I'm better I want to fight full contact san shou and also enter some judo tournerments. I'm a huge fan of MMA and my favorate fighter is Fedor.

Anyways, enough waffle, hello!

Danny

BJJbot
4/25/2007 7:46pm,
Welcome to the Bullshido Forums T/C Danny... Make sure you review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83) and add it to your user control panel so you can get the http://www.bullshido.net/images/dojoreview1.gif icon in your user info bar in your posts.

PirateJon
4/26/2007 2:52pm,
Welcome aboard.

Just curious, but how do find your kung-fu helps/hinders the full contact fighting?

T/C Danny
4/29/2007 3:54pm,
Cheers BJJbot, I've had a go at that.

Welcome aboard.

Just curious, but how do find your kung-fu helps/hinders the full contact fighting?

Personally I've found it has helped me hugely. My kung fu instructor used to be a boxer so he's good at showing me how to incorperate the principles of our kung fu in boxing. For example, in our forms we keep the chin locked in whilest performing them which is obviously important in boxing and fighting generally as a blow on the chin can easily score a KO (as I've found!)

Basically I think good principles (relaxing, keeping the chin tucked in, awarenss, dropping the weight into a shot) pretty much apply to any form of combat. Certainly my kickboxing and boxing skills have improved alot since I took my kf training seriously.

The chi sao/push hands training we do has helped me with my Judo alot in terms of fighting for a grip (whether I can do anything with that grip is another matter!).

Most of the San shou team also train in the kung fu and are firm believers in its benefits. We've had British and European champions in both the full and semi contact catagories.

Abusivemelon
4/29/2007 4:01pm,
Cheers BJJbot, I've had a go at that.
BJJbot? BJJ bot? As in automatic response?

Personally I've found it has helped me hugely. My kung fu instructor used to be a boxer so he's good at showing me how to incorperate the principles of our kung fu in boxing. For example, in our forms we keep the chin locked in whilest performing them which is obviously important in boxing and fighting generally as a blow on the chin can easily score a KO (as I've found!)

Basically I think good principles (relaxing, keeping the chin tucked in, awarenss, dropping the weight into a shot) pretty much apply to any form of combat. Certainly my kickboxing and boxing skills have improved alot since I took my kf training seriously.

The chi sao/push hands training we do has helped me with my Judo alot in terms of fighting for a grip (whether I can do anything with that grip is another matter!).

Most of the San shou team also train in the kung fu and are firm believers in its benefits. We've had British and European champions in both the full and semi contact catagories.
Wow so you unlocked the true meanings of Kata?

Welcome to Bullshido

slideyfoot
4/30/2007 4:50am,
Love the site! I'm a student who is at home due to ill health and who hasn't been able to train for six months which has been V annoying. University is in Aberystwyth (doubt if anyones heard of is but its worth a shot!) and home is in Brackley, near Oxford.
Welcome to Bullshido! I pop down to Abba once a year as a friend has a house there.

Hope you get well soon: there is a throwdown (basically a chance to meet up with a bunch of people and spar) coming up on the 26th May, but I would have thought you won't have recovered by then. However, keep your eye on the throwdown section - should be another UK throwdown coming up later in the year.

T/C Danny
4/30/2007 6:41pm,
BJJbot? BJJ bot? As in automatic response?

ahem.... Bots have evolved since my chatroom days...

Throwdown sounds good Slideyfoot, prob won't be alright for this one but will keep an eye on them in the future.

Thanks for the welcome guys