PDA

View Full Version : Mcdojo Techniques that actually work?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Sickmanasia
4/24/2007 2:27am,
Hi yall
Just wondering if anyone out there who has trained in a Mcdojo has actually used the techniques taught and they worked?When I first started MA many moons ago I was training in a Mcdojo known as Kevin Hawthorn ninja schools(Yeah,I know,I know)in Australia.Anyway,trained there for two years and got my shodan-ho.Left before I got my full black belt because of the rip off factor,and I could see alot of what was taught was not geniune.(at the end I was cross training in Judo and Ninjukai Taijustu)(yeah,I know,I know)
Just after I left the dojo I was at a party and someone found out I did MA.I was well tanked by then(Tequila!)so I took a seat.Anyway,this dude suddenly tryed to punch me,and on reflex I kicked him in the stomach,dropping him.Last time,we were being drilled on defense from a seated position was a few months proir to the party,although I did take my training seriously and practiced for a few hours a day.To my regret now,I was too pissed to say something witty afterwards.Anyway,has somebody out there used Mcdojo skills that worked??

Judah Maccabee
4/24/2007 6:19am,
You're confusing McDojo with Bullshido. You can learn excellent martial arts at a McDojo; you'll probably just end up paying a lot of money for it.

Trubble
4/24/2007 7:12am,
Judah is correct... it is probable that you may learn some practicle techniques at a mcdojo, but you'll be paying top dollar for it and lots of worthless other things. bullshido is if your instructor says he can teach you how to destroy your opponents with chiblasts.

Shu2jack
4/24/2007 7:28am,
My sister was really pissed off at me one time and swinging a baseball bat at me. I used my TKD foot work to draw her into swinging at me, then I did a two-step running jump side kick and sent her flying back.

Cormoran
4/24/2007 8:15am,
Does it count if a technique makes your opponent laugh so hard they can't continue to fight? If so, then yes!

One new years in Sydney I watched a drunk attempt what appeared to be some sort of spinning jump kick, he missed, landed on his arse and the other guy near fell over laughing. Fight over.

1bad65
4/24/2007 9:14am,
The foot stomp. I had been told how easy it would break that arch-shaped bone in one stomp. I never believed that, but I remember seeing Marco Ruas and later on Chris Leben use it in MMA. While not breaking people's feet, it did have an effect.

TEA
4/24/2007 10:46am,
Contracts work for making money. Little Ninja programs work for making money. Shameless self-promotion and bullshit romanticized history of your MA works for making money. Are there any other McDojo techniques you are wondering about?

colonelpong2
4/24/2007 10:47pm,
Kevin hawthorn Ninjer schoold. I know of them. There was some discussion of that lot in a ninjer thread I started a while back. Cant seem to find it now.

ps. Sickmanasia. I have seen some disturbing avatars in my time here, but yours is stomach churning.
Did MJS give you permission to use a pic of his mum or did you just do it anyway?

Sickmanasia
4/26/2007 2:06am,
Who is MJS?Ive been through so many mums:ky: its hard to put names to faces

Fearless Ukemi
4/26/2007 11:32am,
I won two out three of my highschool fights by using a one-step kata I learned in tkd. Rising block + punch to face.

mrblackmagic
4/26/2007 12:24pm,
I won two out three of my highschool fights by using a one-step kata I learned in tkd. Rising block + punch to face.

About that one other time?

Fearless Ukemi
4/26/2007 1:20pm,
Fell on ice and was soccer kicked to the face while getting back up. Too bad I wasn't training bjj.

Permalost
4/26/2007 1:43pm,
Using BJJ for the ice is for sportfighters on nice zambonied ice rinks without ice fishing holes and pinecones.

Sickmanasia
4/26/2007 11:49pm,
Using BJJ for the ice is for sportfighters on nice zambonied ice rinks without ice fishing holes and pinecones.

Calling Sifu Milt Wallace!!!We got some prospective students here

Epicurus
4/27/2007 12:12am,
Ice BJJers do not train with penguins and thin patches... which only tradition ice-karate ca deal with. Their training is so stable, they don't even need to train on actual ice, they just use slippery concepts.

Otaku Waffle
4/27/2007 12:21am,
I once managed ye olde "kick knife out of hand"-TKD-knife defense on a mugger. The follow-up reverse punch even dropped him. I left when the bystanders decided it was time for the traditional soccerfest.