PDA

View Full Version : Reno Academy of Combat

Haksaw
4/23/2007 12:20am,
Has anyone heard of the Reno academy of Combat in Reno NV? If so what do u think about it? do they provide quality instruction? I want to get into a serious MMA school and this looks like the real deal. Thanks

BJJbot
4/23/2007 12:21am,
In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, Haksaw, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

Omega Supreme
4/23/2007 11:33am,
Abrah Kadabrah....one thread now...

UpaLumpa
4/23/2007 11:53am,
Was Gary's not to your liking?
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52738
If you're looking to jump right into MMA, Gary's won't be for you. He doesn't want people fighting under the school name until they've got at least a year or so in and are at least around blue belt level. That's in his, and your, best interest. He does however have at least a good of a relationship with promoters as does Collup. Further, Gary's is where fighters work out prior to any KOTC/GC event in reno.

Collup's school has a lot of tough guys. I trained there for a brief time, before I really would have been qualified to assess the skill level. I do know that when I switched to Gary's, even as a noob, there was a distinct difference in how it felt rolling even with the lower ranked students. Haven't been back since.

If it informs your choice at all, when Ken had his school up in susanville his guys would routinely travel to Gary's before fights. Now, Gary is an assisstant coach for Ken's IFL team.

Haksaw
4/23/2007 12:10pm,
I love garys school, I am currently going there now. I was just curious about the Reno Academy of combat.

UpaLumpa
4/23/2007 12:16pm,
Okay. Thought you might be one of those guys that spends forever talking about what school they should go to rather than heading to one and trying it out. Roll for a month or so at Gary's and then try out Collup's.

Things are a mess right now with B, Josh and Justin training for fights. Bastards get priority when it comes to mat space. Which classes are you going to?

Haksaw
4/23/2007 3:57pm,
Right now I go to the monday night, Tuesday day and wednesday night classes. I think I want to start going to the Tuesday Muay Thai class also. I really like Garys school the level of instruction is outstanding. Ill probably be out for this week because I just got my wisdom teeth pulled. I saw Justins first fight he had a pretty awsome knockout, He got knockout of the night didn't he?

UpaLumpa
4/23/2007 4:37pm,
He certainly should have. I was hammered and there was a bunch of stupidity associated with the evening.I was also bummed about B's loss, I thought he was going to finish with an omaplata!

Haksaw
4/23/2007 7:53pm,
Hopefully the KOTC in may will be just as good I cant wait to see it.

UpaLumpa
4/24/2007 2:08am,
Gladiator Challenge usually isn't quite as good as KOTC. Uriah Faber isn't with KOTC anymore either, I odn't think.

Haksaw
4/25/2007 12:18am,
ya well we can only hope for the best

deanskis
2/10/2010 8:08pm,
Reno academy of combat is terrible! I went there for nearly a year, Rick does not provide any instruction in any way. He stands there saying "get off your back!" and hits you! literally! I go to charles gracie now and I have improved more in the three months here than i learned at rick's place for nearly a year. FYI all of his fighters lose!

UpaLumpa
2/10/2010 8:45pm,
But... blood happens?