PDA

View Full Version : Use of elbows in UFC

Scott Larson
4/22/2007 11:45am,
How long have elbows been allowed in the UFC?

Teh El Macho
4/22/2007 12:09pm,
Since the beginning of time. Dude, just do a search on the interweeeeeb for the history of the UFC and stuff like that.

pauli
4/22/2007 2:08pm,
to rip off wikipedia:
UFC 1 - Although the advertising said there are no rules, there were in fact some rules: no biting, no eye-gouging, and rounds were to last five minutes, although no match in the first tournament lasted that long. Fights ended only in the event of a knockout, a submission usually signalled by tapping the hand three times on the mat or opponent, or by the corner throwing in the towel. Despite this, the first match in UFC 1 was won by referee stoppage, even though it was not officially recognized as such at the time. It is also noted that they mentioned that groin strikes were illegal in this event.
UFC 2 - Time limits were dropped, groin strikes became illegal.
UFC 3 - The referee was officially given the authority to stop a fight in case of a fighter being unable to defend himself. A fighter could not kick if he was wearing shoes. This rule would be discarded in later competitions.
UFC 4 - After tournament alternate Steve Jennum won UFC 3 by winning only one bout, alternates (replacements) were required to win a pre-tournament bout to qualify for the role of an alternate.
UFC 5 - The organizers introduced a 30-minute time limit. UFC 5 also saw the first Superfight, a one-off bout between two competitors selected by the organizers with the winner being crowned 'Superfight champion' and having the duty of defending his title at the next UFC.
UFC 6 - The referee was given the authority to restart the fight. If two fighters were entangled in a position where there was a lack of action, the referee could stop the fight and restart the competitors on their feet, in their own corner. In UFC 6 they officially adopted the 5 minute extension to the 30 minute rule which had been used in UFC 5.
UFC 8 - Time limit changed to 10 minutes in the first two rounds of the tournament, 15 minutes in the tournament final and Superfight. Fights could now be decided by a judges decision if the fight reached the end of the time limit. The panel was made up of three judges who simply raised a card with the name of the fighter they considered to be the winner. In this fashion, a draw was not possible since the only two possible outcomes of a decision were 3 to 0 or 2 to 1 in favor of the winner.
UFC 9 - Disqualifications for illegal techniques introduced for the first time.
UFC 12 - The main tournament was split into a heavyweight and lightweight division; and the eight-man tournament was abandoned. Fighters now needed to win only two fights to win the competition. The Heavyweight Champion title (and title bouts) was introduced, replacing the Superfight title (albeit matches were still for a time branded as "Superfights").
UFC 14 - The wearing of padded gloves, weighing 110 to 170 g (4 to 6 ounces), becomes mandatory. Gloves were to be approved by the UFC.
UFC 15 - Limits on permissible striking areas were introduced. Headbutts, groin strikes, strikes to the back of the neck and head, kicks to a downed opponent, small joint manipulation, pressure point strikes, and hair-pulling became illegal.
UFC 21 - Five minute rounds were introduced, with preliminary bouts consisting of two rounds, regular non-title bouts at three rounds, and title bouts at 5 five minute rounds. Also, the "ten point must system" was introduced for scoring fights (identical to the system widely used in boxing).
UFC 28 - The New Jersey Athletic Control Board sanctions its first UFC event, using the newly developed Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts. Major changes to the UFC's rules included barring knee strikes to the head of a downed opponent, and elbow strikes to the spine and neck. Limits on permissible ring attire, stringent medical requirements, and regulatory oversight were also introduced. A new weight class system was also introduced. This new set of rules is currently the de facto standard for MMA events held in the USA and is still in use by the UFC.
UFC 31 Weight classes are re-aligned to the current standard. Bantamweight moves from 150 to 155 and becomes known as Lightweight. Lightweight becomes known as Welterweight, Middleweight becomes Light Heavyweight, and a new Middleweight class is introduced at 185.

Scott Larson
4/22/2007 3:02pm,
haha, yeah, I just read that on wiki. I can't believe I've never seen a desicive KO with a standing elbow. Can someone give me a link for some clips of them?

Ke?poFist
4/22/2007 3:15pm,
Anderson Silva vs Tony Fryklund
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnpUkneMSWE

Scott Larson
4/22/2007 5:42pm,
Aw snap! nice. Are there more, or is it a rare thing?

roly
4/22/2007 6:29pm,
i've seen more elbows win fights from cutting the guy than from knockouts

also, mostly from the mount not so many from standing

PointyShinyBurn
4/22/2007 6:58pm,
Aw snap! nice. Are there more, or is it a rare thing?Standing elbow knockouts? That's pretty much it as far as I know.

Teh El Macho
4/28/2007 11:56am,
Although it wasn't a standing elbow knockout, Remco Pardoel's dispatching of Orlando Weit (UFC 2) with elbows on the ground, that was one of those moments moments in history where a collective "holy fucking ****" expression is in order.

Eldarbong
4/28/2007 3:33pm,
Standing elbow knockouts? That's pretty much it as far as I know.
I think so. Usually they are a strictly Muay Thai phenomenon. Thank god for Anderson Silva bringing this stuff to MMA.

Ecks
4/28/2007 5:03pm,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqLWHZEN1iM

It's not MMA, but it's a decent clip of how quick and out of nowhere elbows can be if you don't watch for them.

kick
4/29/2007 8:51pm,
Anderson Silva vs Tony Fryklund
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnpUkneMSWE

Silva is a monster, that is a nice elbow, good post.

Don Gwinn
4/29/2007 11:27pm,
The best part of Pardoel/Weit was listening to the announcers blithely declaring that Weit was about to get to his feet and kick Pardoel's ass any second now . . . . any moment, he's g . . . . OH MY GOD WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

I felt bad for Weit, but that wasn't the worst that happened to him back then. He was supposed to fight in the second Extreme Fighting event, which was being held on an Indian reservation in Canada because people got arrested at the first one ("human cockfighting" and all that.) They got all kinds of threats that everyone would be arrested the second time, too, and Weit got cold feet and withdrew. Of course, that left the promoter to cut together footage to explain why Weit wasn't fighting, and he made Weit look like a coward and a fool.

Personally, I didn't see it that way. The promoter should be able to promise that you aren't breaking the law by appearing in his show. That's kind of the minimum, you know?