PDA

View Full Version : UFC dealing with HBO

Ke?poFist
4/18/2007 9:43am,
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7286
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
by Sherdog.com Staff

The Ultimate Fighting Championship has moved closer to a deal that will feature mixed martial arts on the subscription-based cable network Home Box Office by this Summer, UFC president Dana White said during a teleconference with reporters on Tuesday.

"We haven't signed or announced anything yet," White said. "I'm just being cocky and telling you I think we'll definitely be putting on a [HBO] show this summer."

With Showtime already broadcasting MMA events, including two cards in June, HBO's alignment with the sport is further proof of its exploding popularity in the U.S. HBO broadcasts could feature stars of SpikeTV's reality series The Ultimate Fighter, as well as international talent which has not yet been seen inside the Octagon, White suggested.

For Zuffa (promoter of UFC and WEC) this news means that its product will be showcased on three different television netoworks: HBO, SpikeTV and Versus, which will broadcast live WEC cards starting in June.

Discussions are also underway to put the PRIDE Fighting Championships, recently acquired by UFC co-owner Lorenzo Feritta, back on television with "major" deals both in the U.S. and in Japan, said White, though no timetable was given.

SpringHeeledJack
4/18/2007 10:08am,
It seems like I've been hearing about this forever. Last thing I heard was that the show was gonna be on at midnight on a Tuesday or something. Back when I heard that though, they also said the deal was done, so who knows?

Teh El Macho
4/18/2007 10:13am,
AS long as they don't interfere with my shows like Sopranos and Deadwood, I am all for it.

Also, I hope they don't edit the fights (removing cuts or dramatic GnPs) as CSS has done with PRIDE reruns.

mrblackmagic
4/18/2007 10:46am,
AS long as they don't interfere with my shows like Sopranos and Deadwood, I am all for it.

seconded.

Good gods! I guess MMA is not just a fad any more.

War Wizard
4/18/2007 2:16pm,
Well, I'll believe it when I see it. I know this was rumbling around a while back and supposedly the whole reason they're doing the free UFC on Spike was to rub HBO's refusal to air UFC in its face.

yodaman
4/18/2007 11:46pm,
Waiting till HBO announces it, not Dana. I'm pretty sure guys like Jim Lampely won't take this sitting down.

kracker
4/19/2007 7:18am,
:5shocking would that mean no more Ultimate Fighter or reruns of UFC live events on Spike or accessible PPV for non HBO owners?? How would one go about getting HBO??

Bladesinger
4/19/2007 8:01am,
How would one go about getting HBO??

The same way one goes about aquiring access to any TV channel, presumably.

Coach Josh
4/19/2007 8:26am,
Its not going to be exlusively on HBO. There will still be PPV Spike and others. Just like boxing they will have certain cards on one or the other depending on how much HBO pays the UFC.

Lamply has some intelligence and the all mighty dollar speaks louder then anyones adversions to MMA. Hell they show those Real Sex episodes with tons of fun women showing how to give head and ****. They dont have a moral objection to airing anything. Its all boiling down to the money HBO wants some Dana wants some and so on and so on.