PDA

View Full Version : Hey has this ever happened to you? (Training Accidents)

Urbanus1234
4/15/2007 5:57pm,
So I was sparring with this dude and he shoots in to take me down...normal enough right? Then all hell broke loose and he ramed his head into my knee, making a HUGE cut above his right eye (he forgot to hold his hands up). Funny thing is we both didn't realize what happened until I was trying to finish a triangle choke and he taped out. I look down at my chest and it looked like a scene straight out of "Carrie". He was ok but his face needed some stitches. The entire fiasco was a complete fluke!

Has anything like this happened to you?

AikidoBot
4/15/2007 5:58pm,
Welcome to the Bullshido Forums Urbanus1234... Make sure you review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83) and add it to your user control panel so you can get the http://www.bullshido.net/images/dojoreview1.gif icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Bayou
4/15/2007 6:33pm,
So I was sparring with this dude and he shoots in to take me down...normal enough right? Then all hell broke loose and he ramed his head into my knee, making a HUGE cut above his right eye (he forgot to hold his hands up). Funny thing is we both didn't realize what happened until I was trying to finish a triangle choke and he taped out. I look down at my chest and it looked like a scene straight out of "Carrie". He was ok but his face needed some stitches. The entire fiasco was a complete fluke!

That's why you keep your head up when you shoot for legs. I'm always told to bend with your knees, not your back.

vinhthekid
4/15/2007 9:19pm,
in sectionals one year, a kid shot in while the other kid was level dropping to shoot, somehow, their heads collided and one kid started bleeding while the other one was knocked out.

SongPower
4/16/2007 1:50am,
During my second bjj class, I was rolling with another new guy. At one point I happened too take his back and went for the rnc, he kinda grabbed the arm i was going to do the choke with and tried to push it away from his neck, well his hand slipped off my and my wrist went slamming into his throat, and it started turning purple. I felt really bad about it afterwards because the guy never came back to class.

AeroChica
4/16/2007 11:56am,

Were either of you wearing head gear? We had a student break the orbital bone around his eye in just such a situation - he shot in for a takedown and met a well-placed shin in the face. It was disgusting - not much blood, but his face was literally caved in on one side. He was off for 6 months and now has more titanium plates in his face than God originally intended.

You might want to consider some head protection if you are going to roll with speed and power. As you have just learned - one mis-step and one of you could be hurt for real.

Urbanus1234
4/16/2007 3:07pm,
Uhh I have to disagree with you on this AeroChick. Sure headgear is always a good idea and yes we should have had it on. But from what I've seen, the best way to protect your FACE is to wear a facemask. Most headgear doesn't really cover the eye or eyebrow area...it just covers the forehead, temple area, back of the head etc.
So in my opinion even if my friend had been wearing headgear, he still would have gotten own. The only difference is we wouldn't feel so stupid for being irresponsible and not investing in proper saftey equipment.

Ryno
4/16/2007 3:16pm,
Actually, most boxing headgear should protect this area, especially the Mexican style headgear such as:

http://www.ringside.com/IMAGES/CMHG_detail.JPG

And yes, stuff like this will happen with any contact sport. Had about 7 stitches after catching an elbow at the tail end of a bob and weave. Sparring partner threw a jab cross, which I avoided nicely, only to end up catching his elbow as he threw a third strike which was a spinning backfist.

Don't sweat it, because stuff like this happens. And some people are very prone to getting cut, having bony brow and cheek areas.

Bayou
4/16/2007 3:27pm,
You can't wear headgear like that when rolling. It just doesn't work.

I've found that the injuries I've received in training have all been due to mistakes that I made. So the way to stop injuries is to stop making silly mistakes. Easier said than done, but it's true. When I dislocated my shoulder, it was because I shot in wrong for the double-leg. Had I shot correctly, it would have been impossible to injure my shoulder.

ScyberMonk
4/17/2007 12:43am,
Ounce of prevention, pound of cure. I sent my Apprentice to the hospital after slicing open the side of his wrist in livesteel sparring. Why? Because he didn't to put on his gloves. 9 stitches and a funny story later, he remembers his gloves. Of course, proper training is also in the mixture for that ounce, so make sure you are always paying attention to every lesson being taught in the class.

Bottom line, accidents happen. The difference between a funny story and a lost student is how that accident is handled.

Bran Lydster
4/17/2007 2:32am,
Had a student who had done some karate/kickboxing try to deflect/gedan barai ish a front kick once, he was skinny and quick the front kicker was stocky and slow, three broken metacarpals later he remembered my advice of get out the way and close with the kicker.

After his hand had healed he did a similar thing with a reverse punch attempt to body as his partner was doing a front kick. Punching hand hit chambered knee, pop and some more sore stuff, took months before he decided that the blocks/counters he had been taught should have included lateral movement.

FictionPimp
4/17/2007 7:30am,
Last summer I caught a knee to the face while shooting. It made this weird lump in my mouth the size of a marble. My doctor told me the body would eventually absorb the material. Well it has almost been a year now. I'm finally to the point where I can't find the spot with my tongue anymore.

AeroChica
4/17/2007 7:33am,
[quote=Bayou]You can't wear headgear like that when rolling. It just doesn't work.

We do a Sport Jiu-Jitsu style of sparring, which starts on the feet but can easily go to the ground, and our guys wear headgear for that, plus hands and feet. We use the boxing style headgear a previous poster shows, and it really does the job. We have seen a few bloody noses (and one broken nose) while people were wearing the gear, since the nose is still vulnerable, but nothing serious. Now, when the guys are sparring and one of them gets a takedown, do they pause for a moment and remove their headgear - no, the keep rolling, so yes, you can fight with the gear on.

If our fighters are just working ground game, they don't wear it, but if there is a chance for a headshot, it's on. Hey, we all have to look pretty for work in the morning, right? I guess it just depends on how much you like your face.