PDA

View Full Version : Toshido Fighting Arts, David Lea, Vince Ross?

ViciousFlamingo
3/28/2007 10:17pm,
Does anybody have any experience training at Toshido Fighting Arts in Kelowna, BC, Canada? Specifically, does anybody know if the head instructor, David Lea, is a legit BJJ guy? His site says he has a black belt in JJJ, and is a certified instructor in no-gi BJJ, but I can't find his ranking online. He does have a recorded fight record, as does the MT instructor, but I'd like to know his actuall BJJ rank, and what the instructor certification means.

Also, does anybody know if the school is good for noobies? The school seems to be putting out some decent local fighters, but what about newcomers and non-competitors?

The reason I'm asking is a friend of mine with no experience in MMA-type arts (she's done aikido for little while, but is very athletic) is thinking about training at Toshido over the summer. I just want to make sure she's going to have a good training experience and not waste her time and money.

The website is http://www.toshido.ca/.

Mookiejones
5/02/2007 12:10pm,
Ok. Dave is a blackbelt in JJJ, but has studied and trained people under BJJ for more than 10 years. Is he qualified? I don't know the facts about his BJJ credentials, but I can say that he is very easy to learn from, and that Toshido fighters have excelled frequently in no-gi grappling tournaments. Vince is a legitimate ex-world champ in Muay Thai, he's barely ever there, though. Good guy, just doesn't teach much, and like many stand-up guys, sees little worth in the full-contact elements of fighting. Dave, on the other hand, has a great understanding of the overall game of MMA, and supplements his teaching by bringing in recognizable names from various parts of the MMA world. Carlos Newton, Pele, Marc Laimon, and many more. The best thing about training at Toshido is the character of the students/fighters in there, and Dave himself. I went in there very intimidated, and feeling out-of-place, and it was very easy to adjust. The fighters in there are very humble, and patient with new people. It's a comfortable place to learn solid MMA skills from scratch, and it's also a place that is putting out some really promising fighters. That stems from Dave; he is very patient with newbs, and can turn into a hard-assed coach when it comes to the people who want to actually fight. It's a great place to train, my only problem there is that the class size seems to be growing, and mat space is limited some nights

ViciousFlamingo
5/02/2007 12:31pm,
Ok. Dave is a blackbelt in JJJ, but has studied and trained people under BJJ for more than 10 years. Is he qualified? I don't know the facts about his BJJ credentials, but I can say that he is very easy to learn from, and that Toshido fighters have excelled frequently in no-gi grappling tournaments. Vince is a legitimate ex-world champ in Muay Thai, he's barely ever there, though. Good guy, just doesn't teach much, and like many stand-up guys, sees little worth in the full-contact elements of fighting. Dave, on the other hand, has a great understanding of the overall game of MMA, and supplements his teaching by bringing in recognizable names from various parts of the MMA world. Carlos Newton, Pele, Marc Laimon, and many more. The best thing about training at Toshido is the character of the students/fighters in there, and Dave himself. I went in there very intimidated, and feeling out-of-place, and it was very easy to adjust. The fighters in there are very humble, and patient with new people. It's a comfortable place to learn solid MMA skills from scratch, and it's also a place that is putting out some really promising fighters. That stems from Dave; he is very patient with newbs, and can turn into a hard-assed coach when it comes to the people who want to actually fight. It's a great place to train, my only problem there is that the class size seems to be growing, and mat space is limited some nights
Terrific, that's what I was hoping to hear, and that puts my mind at ease. I can send my friend there without any worries.

By the by, welcome to Bullshido! Feel free to clean up your post a bit and add it as a review in the School Review (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83) section. If you do that, you can get that cool house-thingy next to your name :)