PDA

View Full Version : Best Knife Fighting Art

Pages : [1] 2

ClintEQ
8/18/2003 6:51pm,
I was inspired by the Slash or Stab thread to ask what you guys think the best knife fighting art is and why? I have been wanting to get into one for a while now. We do some minimal knife work with my traditional training, and knife fighting has always interested me after some punk threatened me with one. Thanks for your input.

Goojeanleans
8/18/2003 7:58pm,
There isn't much to knife fighting. Get good a a well-rounded fighting art first, then take knife fighting as a supplement. There's a few tricks to it, but mainly the timing, footwork, etc is the same as if you have no knife in your hand. The trick to knife fighting is getting close enough to get someone with your knife and not letting them get you back, and most other martial arts try to teach you that too. Then there's a few tricks most people wouldn't consider, like attacking your opponent's limbs and what not, but its basically any other martial art with a knife in your hand.

Kempocos
8/18/2003 8:01pm,
Stick with a form af KALI/ARNIS, there are several good styles found under that form of FMA

-----------------------
To follow the SENSEI withthout question is like walking down the train tracks with eyes closed and earplugs....its gonna get you killed.

grimel
8/18/2003 8:31pm,
FMA/IMA's

ClintEQ
8/18/2003 8:39pm,
Thanks for you help. Can anyone just list the main knife styles?

Wagi Kali-Silat
8/18/2003 9:50pm,
My vote Wagi Kali-Silat.

Mercurius
8/18/2003 10:52pm,
Although Kali, as a name, is mostly a fabrication and the notion that it is a 'mother art' to Escrima and Arnis is absurd, styles that classify themselves as Kali tend, in general, to focus more on blade skills (knife and sword), than Escrima or Arnis.

deus ex machina
8/19/2003 1:40am,
There isn't much to knife fighting. Get good a a well-rounded fighting art first, then take knife fighting as a supplement. There's a few tricks to it, but mainly the timing, footwork, etc is the same as if you have no knife in your hand. The trick to knife fighting is getting close enough to get someone with your knife and not letting them get you back, and most other martial arts try to teach you that too. Then there's a few tricks most people wouldn't consider, like attacking your opponent's limbs and what not, but its basically any other martial art with a knife in your hand.

Wrong, retard.

~
danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

"Deus practices the love that dare not speak its name." - Samuel Browning

Deadpan Scientist
8/19/2003 2:05am,
Deus is correct. Think about targets Goo

---------------
aaronboyd2: Or you could quote ME quoting Freaky Friday
aaronboyd2: I LOOK LIKE THE CRYPT KEEPER

SCO
8/19/2003 4:49am,
"knife fighting has always interested me after some punk threatened me with one."
So next time you can have a duel? Get real.

------------------------
The torture never stops.

Kempocos
8/19/2003 7:59am,
Try looking here for a style/teacher
http://www.pekiti-tirsia.org:8080/FMA/index.html

-----------------------
To follow the SENSEI withthout question is like walking down the train tracks with eyes closed and earplugs....its gonna get you killed.

TCDD
8/19/2003 9:55am,
like anything it depends on who your instructor is
i do escrima, but we focus mainly on close hand/knife work (which kind of defeats the point)

ClintEQ
8/19/2003 11:30am,
No... I dont want to duel. It interests me more as sport. I think a real "knife fight" would be rare... the situation would just escelate. Open hand vs knife, knive vs. club, club vs. gun...

NSLightsOut
8/19/2003 7:50pm,
Krabi-Krabong, if you can find it.

Although some of the weapons are on the esoteric side (mai-sowks, spears, shields, swords), it seems like an awesome system. It is a great injustice that this system is not as widespread as FMAs and other WMAs.

OldSchoolKungFuWarrior
8/20/2003 5:23am,
I always wanted to learn how to fight with stick and knives. That seems more reasonable nowadays then shields and swords.

NSLightsOut
8/20/2003 8:10am,
Krabi-Krabong uses sticks as well. The Dog Brothers cross-train in it, not least because it teaches appropriate openings for Muay Thai kicks.