PDA

View Full Version : Another Newb from Kentucky

Pages : [1] 2

ramshack
3/22/2007 10:14pm,
Aikidoka here just in time for this month's theme. I've been studying Aikido for about 6 years. I also spent a few years training and competing in Judo when I was younger and a little bit of time studying Shotokan Karate.

Cheers

AikidoBot
3/22/2007 10:15pm,
So ramshack, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83).

SpringHeeledJack
3/22/2007 10:20pm,
Your name sounds so dirty

leere_form
3/22/2007 11:21pm,
kentucky, huh? which part?

ramshack
3/23/2007 12:16am,
Your name sounds so dirty

I just dropped the "le" off the end of ramshackle, which is a favorite song from the 90's. Dirty is good though. Whatever works.

kentucky, huh? which part?

Louisville

leere_form
3/23/2007 1:11am,
beck fan, huh? well, your taste isn't as bad as your style field might lead one to believe =D

i'm a lexingtonian myself, and i practiced aikido for two years under tom berry in ashland originally, then chris sweat and charles yeomans in lexington.

i went to a mary heiny seminar at louisville aikikai a while back, and they were cool people.

never been to aikido of louisville, but some of my friends have.

do you happen to train at either of those places? if so, i bet we know some of the same people..

ramshack
3/23/2007 1:24am,
beck fan, huh? well, your taste isn't as bad as your style field might lead one to believe =D

i'm a lexingtonian myself, and i practiced aikido for two years under tom berry in ashland originally, then chris sweat and charles yeomans in lexington.

i went to a mary heiny seminar at louisville aikikai a while back, and they were cool people.

never been to aikido of louisville, but some of my friends have.

do you happen to train at either of those places? if so, i bet we know some of the same people..

I train at Louisville Aikikai. I missed the Mary Heiny seminar last year. I was in Chicago for work. Too bad, I might have remembered you otherwise. We probably do know some common people. I know that we have a couple guys have have trained in Lexington off and on. Plus, we get the occasional person, such as yourself, for seminars for Lexington.

I head over to Aikido of Louisville if they host a seminar. They share their dojo with Toshi Judo club. I've never taken the time to check them out, but I should.

Rebel Zero
3/23/2007 1:53am,
Hell, yeah. Let's get some Kentucky boys on this here forum. I'm in Lexington and I studied aikido at Ronin Bushido with Craig Caudill a few years ago. I've also taken judo from him at his newer dojo in Winchester. I've observed a couple classes at UK with Charles Yeomans. Small world, innit?

Bleedin blue,

RZ

leere_form
3/23/2007 2:00am,
mary is my favorite aikido hippie ever.

i remember the first time i saw her, she asked for an uke from the yudansha and this super-eager visiting yoshinkan guy came up to give her a munet-tsuki.. and she launched him with a kotegaeshi for several feet into an "oh ****" breakfall and a super-surprised expression on his face. that was pretty great, since she's an old lady and the guy clearly didn't believe she could do that.

anyway, i think mary might just have "the real" aikido, or as real as it gets, but i don't think she'll ever "prove it" to anyone's satisfaction. =)

so how long did you do judo?

leere_form
3/23/2007 2:02am,
oh yeah, the winchester dojo! do you know eugie mintu, who trains iaido there?

he also might have something like the real aikido, that guy is magic or something.

Rebel Zero
3/23/2007 2:21am,
I don't know anyone there who does iaido. I always went to Tuesday and Thursay afternoon classes and it was always me, sensei, and one other dude.

I took aikido at the Lexington Ronin Bushido dojo for about a year. Once Mr. Caudill moved to Winchester, I took aikido and judo for another 3 months. Great stuff but it hasn't fit in with my new schedule. Ironically, instead of driving the 30 minutes to Winchester twice a week to train, I now drive almost 50 minutes to Frankfort to do Chito-Ryu karate. Somehow, this meshes perfectly with my work schedule.

robin2chris
3/23/2007 7:36am,
who does chito-ryu in frankfort? thats where i work. all i ever hear mentioned is teakwondo, che-lu or kiyojuteryu.

robin2chris
3/23/2007 7:37am,
yes i spelled taekwondo wrong, no offense intended.

ramshack
3/23/2007 9:20am,
so how long did you do judo?

I was in judo for about 3 years, but its been quite some time now. Although, I do use a few of the throws in aikido quite a bit.

As for iaido, there is a kendo club in Louisville and I think they offer an iaido class once a week, or at least used to. I could probably find some info on it if I dug around hard enough.

Rebel Zero
3/23/2007 10:44am,
Robin-

I do Chito-Ryu at KY Budo-Kan on South Benson Rd. It's taught by Jim Davenport, who, thus far, is proving to be a magnificent teacher. Soft spoken, humble, and a very, very, bad man.

It's a small group, lots of personal attention from the sensei. If you're interested, let me know. I highly recommend it.

Cassius
3/23/2007 5:41pm,
Here's where I trained when I lived in Louisville:

www.derbycitymma.com