PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Schulman's MMA?

FUNKtastic
3/21/2007 12:58pm,
I don't know if this is the right forum to place this in but here goes.

has anyone else noticed the tiger schulman's schools shifting from Tiger Schulman's Karate to Tiger Schulman's Mixed Martial Arts on their signs? In Brooklyn, the older schools still have the sign with Karate in their name but I've seen one changed and the new one being built in Bay Ridge advertises it as Tiger Schulman's Mixed Martial Arts. Even their website, http://www.tsk.com/ . the k in the web adress obviously standing for karate has had its logo changed to Tiger Schulman's Mixed Martial Arts.

I've never been to a Tiger Schulman's school but I've talked to one of their blackbelts outside of it (we go to school together) and also heard that they do fairly well in grappling competitions. According to their advertisements they teach karate, kickboxing, and sub grappling (though I've heard a few students call it BJJ) and this has been the curriculum for a while so I wonder if they are just changing the name to jump on the band wagon and score customers or if this was made to accurately reflect the change in curriculum (which has been around a few years)?

Omega Supreme
3/21/2007 1:11pm,
Schulman has been making this move for years. He's not jumping on any band wagon per se. They do do well in these tournaments and have even introduced new sparring technology out there. I think they'll keep the MMA around to attract the ol' 18-34 crowd.

Ken
3/21/2007 3:04pm,
New sparring technology?

As in new techniques/methods, or new equipment?

Omega Supreme
3/21/2007 4:59pm,
New equipment. You can actually see some of the stuff they tried to introduce in Combat Sports and Revgear. They may not have invented it but as far as I know they were the ones who marketed first:

Hexagon Boxing ring
Injected molded sparring gear

datdamnmachine
3/21/2007 5:08pm,
New equipment. You can actually see some of the stuff they tried to introduce in Combat Sports and Revgear. They may not have invented it but as far as I know they were the ones who marketed first:

Hexagon Boxing ring
Injected molded sparring gear

Off topic but...

Any personal experience with injected molded sparring gear?

Omega Supreme
3/21/2007 5:11pm,
Off topic but...

Any personal experience with injected molded sparring gear?

Yeah the original stuff I hated. Shin guards weren't bad but I'd hate to be on the recieving end of the early stuff. The new stuff is great especially in the combat sports catalog.

SpringHeeledJack
3/21/2007 5:15pm,
So this would be the "IMF tech" gear?

FUNKtastic
3/21/2007 7:37pm,
I am somewhat suprised. Being a mainstream school, that they would switch their signs from

Karate - which moms could see and relate to discipline

to

MMA - which moms would think of Spike TV and the short short bra top ring girls - HOOAH!

A rose by another name would smell as sweet...

I dont't think the moms would notice the difference, as long as it doesn't say Ultimate Fighting Training they'll think Mixed Martial arts is just as good, after all they are sending their kids to become teh d3ad1y. What would scare them off would be a sign that says UFC style training and i say this because a Renzo affiliate in Staten Island put that up on his sign which I think serves as a good filter.

What the MMA change might attract are the go-to-training-with-my-kid dads, I met one this summer who by total coincidence happened to be wearing a TSK t-shirt. I asked if he does Karate and he told me he goes to Tiger's but does Brazlian Jiu-Jitsu (?) and that his daughter (8 years old at best) is "a real killer there". Conversation stopped at this point.

polishillusion
3/21/2007 7:40pm,
the UFC Style sign actually turned me off to that place, since it would attract the usual SI meat heads.

Omega Supreme
3/21/2007 7:56pm,
So this would be the "IMF tech" gear?

Yeah, but that's not the original stuff. Unless I'm completely confused. I love the IMF stuff though.

truepwrz
3/21/2007 8:28pm,
hmm tiger shulman that school is close to my house maybe i go check it out someday and report

Fantasy Warrior
3/21/2007 9:03pm,
They still issue white krotty gis with big tiger logo on back and patches to newbs, and make their students shout quasi-asian/quasi-military crap in grappling lessons. Just in case you were expecting the average TSK school to look or feel like an MMA gym when you walk through the door.

truepwrz
3/21/2007 9:07pm,
lol i have seen that since september i pass by the school almost everyday after work, but since the great omega said it was good i had to check it out. but seriously i heard my friend say that tiger shulman is not a good school and my cousin is looking for a martial art school close so i think i will be the guniea pig

Permalost
3/22/2007 12:47am,
They still issue white krotty gis with big tiger logo on back and patches to newbs, and make their students shout quasi-asian/quasi-military crap in grappling lessons. Just in case you were expecting the average TSK school to look or feel like an MMA gym when you walk through the door.

TSK would still destroy USSD in some sort of tournament.

FUNKtastic
3/22/2007 6:29am,
the UFC Style sign actually turned me off to that place, since it would attract the usual SI meat heads.

I think the usual meatheads have their hands full; between bally's, protien shakes and tanning booths they don't have the time to spare no matter how appealing the sign is =).

sambosteve
3/23/2007 1:17pm,
TSK has been involved in MMA for years, I suspect this is just a new marketing stance and will not affect the gereral regimen for the average student there. It will still be a sign your life away type of deal. Anyone who goes to the lower level east coast mma show knows that TSK is a regular participant. However, it is a select few who do MMA for TSK I think, not the general student. So, it is not really representative of what TSK does. The few MMA guys that TSK has will spread the name for TSK. Also, it is generally thought (to my knowledge) that the TSK mma guys are "protected" a bit by promoters that put them on shows here in the East coast. Having said that, I have seen some real mis-matches in TSK's favor, but also some fair ones too. What bugs me most is the obnoxious TSK clans that fill the stands if their team is at the show. From a promoters POV, it sells good tickets but, from a spectators view, it is annoying as hell.