PDA

View Full Version : RE: pressure point control, Newbie caught in wild, released in preservation area.

excalibur921
3/20/2007 9:54pm,
I recently spotted an article on George Dillman and the "ability" he has to perform knockouts.

I have other Bullshido stylists that someone might check out?

Look at www.ppct.com pressure point control tactics. Do they work, are they valid, and just how difficult are they to learn?

elipson
3/20/2007 10:26pm,
Easy to learn. A few weekends. The course deals with a lot of hand-cuff stuff and baton stuff. It's designed more for cops and security personnel dealing with passive or defensive resistance. Lots of material on use of force issues and legalities.

The course takes a medical look at "pressure points", so there's no mystical bullshit.

As someone who took it, I wouldn't recommend it if self-defense or competition is your goal. But if you are in LEO or security, its very useful.

Tom Kagan
3/20/2007 10:33pm,
(Post moved out of MABS)

excalibure921,

Welcome to Bullshido. We hope you enjoy your stay. It may be prudent to stay within the safe confines of Newbietown until you get a better feel for the place.

weechey
3/20/2007 11:09pm,
I recently spotted an article on George Dillman and the "ability" he has to perform knockouts.

I have other Bullshido stylists that someone might check out?

Look at www.ppct.com pressure point control tactics. Do they work, are they valid, and just how difficult are they to learn?

Phrost has such a gentle heart...:kiss:

anyway, re: Dillman and pressure point knockouts...
1. Yes, they do work...assuming you are a) standing completely still, b) limp as a noodle, c) have absolutely no pain tolerance, and d) be a true believer.
2. Valid is kind of a vague term...depends on how you define it. Against people as described in #1, they work extremely well. Against someone with a modicum of experience, or a healthy dose of skepticism....well no, it doesn't really work.
3. How difficult it is to learn depends on who you talk to. Dillman would have you believe it takes a lifetime (or at least decades of spending mucho $$ going to his seminars/classes). I could probably knock someone out right now who met the criteria of #1.

weechey
3/20/2007 11:14pm,
whoops...stupid me, I made my comments re: Dillman, when you were asking about the ppct website...it's not clear to me that site is associated w/ Dillman in any way. Could you elaborate? I can't say much about ppct given that I've done no research on this.

weechey
3/20/2007 11:23pm,
ack...not my day...I credited Phrost with moving the thread here, when credit is due to Tom Kagan. Sorry, i'm being very very absent minded today.

Ke?poFist
3/21/2007 12:03am,
We save threads now!?

Neildo
3/21/2007 10:00am,
What elipson said. (see style field ^^)

Spetulhu
3/22/2007 6:40am,
There's mystical chi energy pressure points and then there's the places on your body that hurt when poked. I'd assume ppct uses the second kind. Control is easier when people know it hurts if they struggle when you have to grab or hold them.

GIJoe6186
3/22/2007 4:18pm,
PP tactics work for what they are intended for, pian compliance. You still have to be able to control someone though. Im taking some BS JJJ class at my college (gym credit) where we are learning PP. Do they hurt? A little bit. Do they work? No. Not unless you are already controlling the guy and can apply pressure from the control position. So we are taught to hit a point and use the point as a control rather then pin a guy and then apply the pain. Thats dumb IMO.

If you can grapple you should be able to apply certain PP tactics.