PDA

View Full Version : Just getting a post up

Pages : [1] 2

feek2000
3/19/2007 9:48am,
so i dont get that message everytime I open up this page!

Hello to everyone by the way

KungFuBot
3/19/2007 9:49am,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, feek2000. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Ke?poFist
3/19/2007 4:33pm,
Welcome to the site.

Abusivemelon
3/20/2007 1:59pm,
How about an intro? Who are you, what MA do you do, for how long etc.

Phrost
3/20/2007 2:44pm,
I think we're going to start handing out 7 day bans for people posting threads in here "hurr 2 get rid of annoying msg lol".

Ke?poFist
3/20/2007 4:11pm,
I think we're going to start handing out 7 day bans for people posting threads in here "hurr 2 get rid of annoying msg lol".

Well aren't we just getting touchy lately? Not enough trolls being banned to satiate your trigger finger?

Phrost
3/20/2007 4:15pm,
Just tired of useless fucking threads that don't contribute to the discussion, entertain, or help anyone.

It would have taken a whopping 30 seconds to type:

"I do Wing Chun under Sifu Chauncy Bignuts in Skokie, IL, and have a black belt in Eritrean Headbutting."

KaneElson
3/20/2007 4:33pm,
Just tired of useless fucking threads that don't contribute to the discussion, entertain, or help anyone.

It would have taken a whopping 30 seconds to type:

"I do Wing Chun under Sifu Chauncy Bignuts in Skokie, IL, and have a black belt in Eritrean Headbutting."

/me hugs Phrost

Abusivemelon
3/24/2007 6:49pm,

Why didnt you ban Mr.Jones on request?

feek2000
3/26/2007 3:51am,
Im sorry if I have managed to upset you. I did karate for a few years when I was younger, Higashi, but didn't really get much from it. Im now 33 and am just starting Wing Chun. I would like to move into another martial art as well further down the line. Anything else?

PizDoff
3/26/2007 3:11pm,
How about where you are located so we could see if anyone else is around you, and to recommend some schools in your area.

Abusivemelon
3/26/2007 4:19pm,
Im sorry if I have managed to upset you. I did karate for a few years when I was younger, Higashi, but didn't really get much from it. Im now 33 and am just starting Wing Chun. I would like to move into another martial art as well further down the line. Anything else?

Stay away from Wing Chun unless you are doing it for novelty/entertainment purposes. If you want self defence its not the one to go for.

feek2000
3/27/2007 3:56am,
Hmmmm, now I hear a lot of that on here, im actually starting with Kamon Wing Chun tonight, I watched last week and I thought it looked pretty good. Why is it not a good self defence martial art, because it doesn't neccesarily work in the ring? If so I don't want to use it in the ring. Kevin Chan doesn't come across as someone who can't defend himself? Please give your reasons.

slideyfoot
3/27/2007 4:45am,
Kevin Chan (http://www.kamonwingchun.com/KamonJiuJitsu.aspx) is also a brown in BJJ, IIRC, so a rather unusual _ing _un school. I guess if you're determined to try _ing _un, then that would be the place to look at.

If you want to know the many, many reasons people on here tend to look down upon _ing _un (or wing chun, ving tsun etc: the multiplicity of names means its easier to write as _ing _un), try the search function (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/search.php). There are lots of threads on the topic. Alternately, read the article (http://www.bullshido.com/articles/wing-chun-9.html) on Bullshido.com.

In short (to quote that article):

1) It has no real ground game.

2) The footwork is very linear, and not flexible the way foot work is in such arts/sport as Western Boxing.

3) Because many of the hand techniques involve eye jabs, and bare hand strikes, most Wing Chun schools do not spar full contact.

4) After the 1960s there do not seem to be many Wing Chun students who have tested their skills in public full contact contests where the results could be filmed and evaluated.

5) Students spend a lot of time on the chi sao exercise to “improve sensitivity”. While being able to feel what your opponent is doing by touch is a useful skill, the average person who attacks you will not be holding his hands like a Wing Chun student, so most of this skill is not applicable to real life.

feek2000
3/27/2007 5:42am,
I see your point, although at Kamon they actually do some boxing sparring to get you used to being hit and some focus pad work too, to be honest I saw quite a lot of that and general conditioning and not a hell of a lot of Wing Chun, I know it's not like that every week but at least they try to change it up a bit. What style would everyone here suggest, (don't fancy just a grappling art). I think Wing Chun can be a very good base to build upon with another style maybe, a hard style like Muay Thai.

slideyfoot
3/27/2007 5:56am,
I see your point

Not my point, but whoever wrote the article (http://www.bullshido.com/articles/wing-chun-9.html)'s point. :icon_wink

although at Kamon they actually do some boxing sparring to get you used to being hit and some focus pad work too, to be honest I saw quite a lot of that and general conditioning and not a hell of a lot of Wing Chun, I know it's not like that every week but at least they try to change it up a bit

I would be interested in how Chan runs his _ing _un classes, given the wealth of groundwork experience he has. I can't imagine how he could do the whole "_ing _un anti-grappling" stuff with a brown belt in BJJ, so presumably his _ing _un is a little more sensible than the norm?

What style would everyone here suggest, (don't fancy just a grappling art). I think Wing Chun can be a very good base to build upon with another style maybe, a hard style like Muay Thai.

Standard response tends to be boxing, muay thai, BJJ, judo or MMA, with SAMBO and/or wrestling if you can find it - if you don't just want grappling arts, then MMA may be a good option for you given its combination of 'ranges' (for want of a better word). All of those have been tested repeatedly, their strong competitive element fairly effective at cutting down the possibility for bullshido. Same can't be said for the vast majority of other styles, even though you will find the odd decent school buried in an otherwise disreputable style.