PDA

View Full Version : Secondary MA

Pages : [1] 2

vigilus
3/15/2007 2:30am,
I've decided to take up an additional martial art. I'm currently taking Yoshinkan Aikido. I'm slowly picking up Iaido but I consider it part time. (When I move I plan on probably jumping into kendo).
Anyhow in the mean time I'm trying to decide what additional martial art to take and I'm looking for input and feed back on what you guys think I should go for.

Taekwondo (again)
Judo & Jujitsu
Ninjitsu
Kempo Karate
Kung-fu
Stick with just aikido

Yes I tried to make this a poll but the thing **** the bed.

GRAB MY WRIST
3/15/2007 2:39am,
What are your objectives and goals? You can PM me if you want to...

GMW

alex
3/15/2007 2:56am,
obviously self defense isnt big on your goal list so do whatever is the most fun

sochin101
3/15/2007 3:07am,
Like GMW said... depends on your goals.
Personally, I'd be looking at Judo.

Also... poll **** the bed? Awesome.

Virus
3/15/2007 3:13am,
Ninjitsu.

sochin101
3/15/2007 3:18am,
Ninjitsu.
Just because he has a sword already doesn't make it a good idea to do ninjitsu.
I'm trying to think what would be a good reason to do ninjitsu...
Ok, if he was doing _ing__un, then ninjitsu's a good idea.
Or if he lived in feudal Japan, had a penchant for dressing up and occasionally liked killing people, then he'd be good to go, ninja-style.
But, I'm still sticking by my judo vote in this ****-the-bed non-poll.

Virus
3/15/2007 5:24am,
Just because he has a sword already doesn't make it a good idea to do ninjitsu.
I'm trying to think what would be a good reason to do ninjitsu...
Ok, if he was doing _ing__un, then ninjitsu's a good idea.
Or if he lived in feudal Japan, had a penchant for dressing up and occasionally liked killing people, then he'd be good to go, ninja-style.
But, I'm still sticking by my judo vote in this ****-the-bed non-poll.

Sarcasm. I would never recommend "ninjitsu" to anyone, not even my worst enemy.

I could only recommend judo out of that list.

Asriel
3/15/2007 5:41am,
As the guys have already said, it depends on your goals. If you're looking at learning self defence then Judo would be your best bet because it has the highest chance of not being a LARPing school. Kung fu COULD be ok depending on the teacher and style while the others have much less chance of teaching you efficient fighting/SD skills.

Red Sauce
3/15/2007 6:56am,
Judo or suicide.

kthxbye.

Virus
3/15/2007 7:36am,
Red Sauce for the correct. Why is everything not judo even on that list?

You might not care about t3h eff3ctive, but by training in things like ninjitsu you are only encouraging them.

sochin101
3/15/2007 8:19am,
Sarcasm. I would never recommend "ninjitsu" to anyone, not even my worst enemy.

I could only recommend judo out of that list.
Stop being serious. I don't like you serious.
Stop it.

Judo!

Red Sauce
3/15/2007 8:33am,
http://www.judoinfo.com/images/kimura1.jpg
JUDO OR SUICIDE, K?.

This thread is now on hold in the name of Holy One, what has to happen now is the OP has to goto a Judo class, and then after this very post, he has to tell us what he did and how awesome that class was and then the thread can continue.

The Dark Wood of Error (Pictured below) awaits anyone who posts anything but praise for the holy one.
http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/d/dante/d19he/images/13-143b.jpg

And we all know what the holy one does to trees. p.s no hakama in the wood, it encourages mistletoe outbreaks in the crowns during spring and really fucks me off

vigilus
3/15/2007 10:58am,
The list is limited to whats available in my local area. Maybe mixed between self defense and just learning another MA to kill time, get in shape etc..

The Iaido (and with luck kendo) is just for fun and to learn a sword martial art.

I'm not too sure what they learn in ninjitsu or how much sparing they do.

I didn't mind taekwondo when I was taking it a few years ago but it was hard to hid the fact that the organization as a whole seemed to be completly about money. Pumping out black belts for compitition, also i didn't like how the classes were often had kids in them.

Kungfu here seems the same. It costs $20 to even watch a class and if you join the $20 goes towards your monthly fee. If you dont take the class then in theory you get the $20 back which is bullshit because the guy just tries to give you one of his dumb t shirts.

I don't know a thing about kempo karate. I think I'm leaning towards the judo/jujitsu class.

Goju - Joe
3/15/2007 11:10am,
Are you in Ottawa or Kingston?

Red Sauce
3/15/2007 11:20am,
I'm making a list of names. Hail Kimura.

cyrijl
3/15/2007 11:25am,
Post count 643+.
Member since May 2006.

Guilty,
Have you just not been paying attention?