PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good school? Please opine.

Pages : [1] 2

Luis Melito
8/15/2003 8:52am,
Hello, I am 29 years old and have very little real fighting experience. But I feel the need to get into MMA because I feel it's the closest thing to real fighting there is, and it has good health and confidence benefits. I'm not an athelete but I think if "there's a will, there's a way."

So, I see a lot of experienced people on this site, and it's kind of anti chop socky crap... so I need some people's opinions in whether I should attend this school I found. I don't know how much they charge, but they have a good curriculum. Another good thing is that it's real close to my house. (about a 5 minute drive). But I have to visit first. What you you all think? Here is the school: http://www.floridamartialarts.com/jiujitsu/Old/Default.htm

TheHungsta
8/15/2003 8:59am,
Looks pretty good. If extreme sport fighting is what interests you, you should join..

Southpaw
8/15/2003 9:06am,
I'm not an athelete but I think if "there's a will, there's a way."

I'd think that going the MMA route would require at least some athleticism.

If you're not athletic at all, and would like to learn how to fight as well as gain confidence and health benefits, you may want to look into a tradional martial art.

What do you MMA guys think? MMA is a sport...and you have to be an athlete to train it...no doubt about it. For someone who has no athletic abilility...starting from a completely clean slate...do you think they would just get used in MMA?

I think for a non-athlete...a tradional martial art may be more the tempo they are looking for.

Interested in your thoughts.

Luis Melito
8/15/2003 9:11am,
Well Amp, i'm not technically an athelete in a sport sense, because i've never been on a baseball team or a football team, etc... but I do workout and do cardio regularly. i'm not a real athlete, i'm in decent shape... i've seen pictures of beginners and most of them look like me anyway. what do you think?

Southpaw
8/15/2003 9:33am,
Luis--Are you more interested in health and confidence, or "real fighting"? Keep in mind that a tradional martial art (TMA) can teach you about real fighting very well if you have the right instructor.

Also, are you looking for something that you can do for a long time?

Lastly...what sounds better to you:

1. Staying on your feet most of the class, learning punching, blocking, kicking, footwork, etc.

or

2. Spending your class time "rolling" with other fighters (wrestling), learning positioning, submissions, chokes, etc.

Both are very good, both can really help you...it all depends on what you're looking for.

RealMAs
8/15/2003 9:52am,
Hello Luis Melito

I wouldnít worry about your athleticism. You would have to be sick or crippled not to benefit from sport martial arts (or any sport). Stick to the amateur stuff and have fun with it.

The school that you posted the link to looks like a good school to me. One tip, if the instructors donít role with their students, then look elsewhere.

MMA_Phil
8/15/2003 10:00am,
Hi Luis, definitely don't worry about not being athletic; you'll become athletic if you stick with the training.
The school sounds good to me, you should give it a try.

Amp - MMA also teaches standup skills, including everything that you mentioned.
Also, you can do MMA for a long time - the better you get at it, the less strength and fitness you require.

Fisting Kittens
8/15/2003 10:01am,
do it. If you don't like it, then quit it and do something else.

---------
I have discovered the true essence of Bullshido: To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women.
In short: to flame.

Southpaw
8/15/2003 10:17am,
you'll become athletic if you stick with the training.

This I don't really agree with. I don't think someone can just become an athlete after 29 years of not being one. There are motor skill issues that are really hard to develop at a later age.

But...Luis...these guys know a lot more about MMA than me so listen to them.

I was just taking a guess.

I've been in sports my whole life and I think it's unrealistic for someone 29 years old who has never played baseball to become very profecient at baseball...same holds for football, basketball, hockey...there are the sports I'm familiar with. Perhapy MMA is different?

Thanks for your input though.

RealMAs
8/15/2003 10:37am,
I've been in sports my whole life and I think it's unrealistic for someone 29 years old who has never played baseball to become very profecient at baseball...same holds for football, basketball, hockey...there are the sports I'm familiar with. Perhapy MMA is different?

MMA isnít different that other sports in this respect.

Luis, correct me if I wrong but youíre not looking to become the next champion, right?

So long as you are reasonably healthy you can benefit from any sport without being a champion.

My mother took up golf when she retired, sure she isnít very good, but she is better than me. So she must be getting something out of it.

Deadpan Scientist
8/15/2003 10:43am,
roll is the correct spelling

---------------
aaronboyd2: Or you could quote ME quoting Freaky Friday
aaronboyd2: I LOOK LIKE THE CRYPT KEEPER

Southpaw
8/15/2003 10:46am,
So long as you are reasonably healthy you can benefit from any sport without being a champion.

I don't doubt that he can get some benefit out of MMA...I'm wondering if we can become profecient at it...quite a difference.

I think it would be easier for a non-athlete to become profecient in a TMA than in a MMA. Perhaps the longer duration of training before profeciency is the reason? Don't really know...just my thoughts

RealMAs
8/15/2003 10:47am,
roll is the correct spelling

Good for you, you can beat muggers in a spelling B.

RealMAs
8/15/2003 10:50am,
I think it would be easier for a non-athlete to become profecient in a TMA than in a MMA. Perhaps the longer duration of training before profeciency is the reason? Don't really know...just my thoughts

You could be right, But lets give the guy a chance. He can always change clubs whenever he wants to.

MMA_Phil
8/15/2003 11:13am,
Yes, you can become proficient at it! It just takes practice, effort, dedication etc. just like it would for a TMA. Sure you might be too old if you are planning on becoming the next UFC champion, but if you just want to do it for a hobby and self-defence...
I've trained with people that must have been at least 40.

IMHO, you have to train for longer in a TMA to become a proficient fighter than MMA.

HAPKO3
8/15/2003 11:15am,
Oh c'mon, why are you scaring the poor guy. There's such a thing as MMA training for beginners, you know. It's not like they're gonna throw him in a cage with Vanderlei Silva on the first day.

The school looks good, as far as I can tell from the website. Had I lived in your area, I would give it a shot. There's some good names on the competition team, and it looks like a nice and friendly facility.

And don't worry about your age - 29 is still young. I've seen plenty of people older than you do just fine.

------------------------
I remain, Hapko3