PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Boxing?

Pages : [1] 2

Hidden Ronin
3/05/2007 8:21pm,
I was punching the heavy bag after Karate the other night when one of the black belts ask me if I want to do some focus pad drills with him. I was up for it, so we did the basic jab-cross-swipe-duck excerise I guess you see alot in western boxing gyms (No I wouldn't know, I can't get to the only boxing gym close to me). I try to strike up a conversation with him, asking if he studied boxing. He told me hed did, but that it was Chinese boxing. I was alittle confused at first because to me Chinese Boxing = Kung fu = Wing Chun = no focus pad drills. He told me how to get in contact with the instructor and what-not. So I visit the instruct, (who owns a MA supply shop) and he tells me that its a Chinese/That boxing class for 2 hours on a tuesday at the local Gym: 10. I have a few questions

is Thai boxing another name for Muay Thai? if not what are the diffrences? Also, does anyone know what could be meant by Chinese Boxing?

yes, I realise I could have asked him these things, but I was in a hurry at the time.

ronaldk
3/05/2007 8:29pm,
from what i know:

thai boxing = muay thai

chinese kickboxing = kung fu or other chinese martial art based kickboxing system. think taking kung fu without all the forms and jumping on one toe and walking on water, and basically just focusing on techniques for fighting and sparring.

thats what i got from a friend who took both kung fu (dressed up in a pajama and having to make a bunch of weird animal forms) and chinese kickboxing (in shorts and a tshirt) from the same teacher.

then again, i don't know first hand.

Matt Stone
3/05/2007 8:49pm,
The character for "chuan" or "quan" (both pronounced more or less the same way) of such arts as "Tai Chi Chuan/Taijiquan," "Hsing Yi Chuan/Xingyiquan," etc., means "fist." So styles like this translate as "This-or-That Fist." It was mistranslated as "boxing" early in the last century, and it kind of stuck.

So, "Chinese boxing" is a slightly outdated reference to what most folks know as kung fu or wu shu.

Omega Supreme
3/05/2007 8:54pm,
The character for "chuan" or "quan" (both pronounced more or less the same way) of such arts as "Tai Chi Chuan/Taijiquan," "Hsing Yi Chuan/Xingyiquan," etc., means "fist." So styles like this translate as "This-or-That Fist." It was mistranslated as "boxing" early in the last century, and it kind of stuck.

So, "Chinese boxing" is a slightly outdated reference to what most folks know as kung fu or wu shu.

Why yes you are 100% correct. To add to that though, I like calling my stuff Chinese Boxing because Kung-fu can also be translated a few other ways and Wu Shu is often mistaken for performance martial arts.

Matt Stone
3/05/2007 8:57pm,
Why yes you are 100% correct. To add to that though, I like calling my stuff Chinese Boxing because Kung-fu can also be translated a few other ways and Wu Shu is often mistaken for performance martial arts.

I agree...

When I'm talking to someone who'll know one from the other, I use the "proper" names of the styles. When I'm talking to someone who doesn't know kung fu from crappling, I use whatever term they use (e.g. "Yeah, yeah, I do judo... or whatever.").

When I'm talking to someone that knows just enough to be completely confused by terms, I just use "Chinese boxing." They get the "Chinese" part, and "boxing" lets them know somebody gets hit. Good enough for gubmunt work...

Hidden Ronin
3/05/2007 9:00pm,
Ill find out for sure tomorrow and let you guys know how it went. Im guessing its not the whole hung-gar animal form deal as I can't see that mixing well with a style as direct and no-nonsense as Muay Thai. Omega, is thier a video I can see of you fighting? just out of curiosity.

Thanks for the info

Omega Supreme
3/05/2007 9:09pm,
What kinda video do you want to see. Most of my stuff is joke stuff.

Hidden Ronin
3/05/2007 9:14pm,
Just videos of you hitting people using Kung-fu/Chinese Boxing. Wondering how it looks In real life. Im quessing its not like way of the dragon, and I assume you don't get the title of proffesional fighter with hours and hours of Chi Saou. I may be wrong, im here to learn.

Omega Supreme
3/05/2007 9:35pm,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBoxX48_tAo

Here you go.

Omega Supreme
3/05/2007 9:36pm,
and here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwys7ZBVny8

Hidden Ronin
3/06/2007 5:44am,
wow....so much for Kung-fu masters being skinny bearded guys. If the club im going to tonight teaches that kinda thing Ive probably found a good club. What style of Chinese Boxing do you study Omega, ands is the ground fighting a part of it?

Ming Loyalist
3/06/2007 9:34am,
Im guessing its not the whole hung-gar animal form deal as I can't see that mixing well with a style as direct and no-nonsense as Muay Thai. Omega, is thier a video I can see of you fighting? just out of curiosity.

i think you are horribly mis-informed as to the nature of hung ga(r) training, because it, in fact, mixes very well with muay thai training.

also omega did train in hung gar at one point.

Hidden Ronin
3/06/2007 9:48am,
I always though Hung-gar was the five animal forms: Tiger, Crane, Dragon, monkey and Snake. If im wrong, my appologise. Could you tell me some more about the style?

Ming Loyalist
3/06/2007 9:59am,
I always though Hung-gar was the five animal forms: Tiger, Crane, Dragon, monkey and Snake. If im wrong, my appologise. Could you tell me some more about the style?

it is. well, there is no monkey in hung ga(r) the other animal is leopard.

but if you expect to see animal posing during fights, then, again, you are woefully uninformed about the style.

you can click the link at the top right of my post (looks like a red and white house) to see a description of my school.

as far as the animal thing goes, the faster you stop thinking that they are "techniques" and start thinking of them as "fighting philosophies", the faster you will begin to understand real kung fu fighting.

the crane is focused on loose whipping attacks, often combining the block and the strike in one movement. there is also a good deal of evasive angle work in crane. you can see a lot of crane theory at work in muay thai, although they don't know it for the most part.

tiger is all about direct linear attacks down the center line. often tiger implies open palm strikes with the possibility of raking the face, but that is way less important than the concept of aggressive attacking and straight linear movement.

dragon is all about twisting and changing levels. i see a lot of dragon in how boxers slip punches.

i could go on, but i won't. i think you may get the picture.

oh and btw, most hung ga(r) schools don't "get it" either, unfortunately.

Hidden Ronin
3/06/2007 10:55am,
thanks for the info. now that you have exsplained the philosphies I see how each of the animals can be incorperated into a style of fighting that dosn't involve endless hours of standing on one leg. Its a shame that media have bastardised this type of thing, aking people think (like I did till five minutes ago) that crane style was all about flapping your arms about, and dragon style was all about yelling alot (not that I can talk about that one, I study Karate.) I see how Muay Thai and Chinese boxing fit now, especially if its crane style Hung-Gar.

Thanks for the information

Teh El Macho
3/06/2007 11:15am,
it is. well, there is no monkey in hung ga(r) the other animal is leopard.

but if you expect to see animal posing during fights, then, again, you are woefully uninformed about the style.

you can click the link at the top right of my post (looks like a red and white house) to see a description of my school.

as far as the animal thing goes, the faster you stop thinking that they are "techniques" and start thinking of them as "fighting philosophies", the faster you will begin to understand real kung fu fighting.

the crane is focused on loose whipping attacks, often combining the block and the strike in one movement. there is also a good deal of evasive angle work in crane. you can see a lot of crane theory at work in muay thai, although they don't know it for the most part.

tiger is all about direct linear attacks down the center line. often tiger implies open palm strikes with the possibility of raking the face, but that is way less important than the concept of aggressive attacking and straight linear movement.

dragon is all about twisting and changing levels. i see a lot of dragon in how boxers slip punches.

i could go on, but i won't. i think you may get the picture.

oh and btw, most hung ga(r) schools don't "get it" either, unfortunately.****, I've been asking what the heck all these animals are for eons. Now I'm beginning to see the light. Blame it on watching too many kung-fu movies when I was a kid.

Good thread, btw.