PDA

View Full Version : Back! And with BJJ!

Kistrael
3/02/2007 5:26pm,
It's been a while since I've posted, but I might be getting back into MA soon, so I had to come back to old skulking grounds.

Much to my surprise, there's BJJ classes that just opened up here: http://www.eagletkd.com/. Now normally I'd jump at the chance for BJJ classes, but since they're ran out of a TKD dojang, I'm hesitant, especially after trying to get out of TSD. The place is only 5 minutes away from home, so it sounds like a good idea.

I contacted the person who runs the dojang and talked to him. Classes are ran by Alex Bitto (http://www.bajji.com/profile.htm), whom I've not had a chance to talk to yet. Alex seems very legit, from what I've read about him.

My main problem is that there's a contract for 6 months, and costs $130. Signing up early, since the classes are still new, reduces the price to $90 until...? There's also a free week of classes, I believe.

Classes are held twice on Monday, one class at 12 PM, the other at 8:30 PM. Another class is 8:30 PM on Wednesday. I'll go in Monday and take a look at the classes and observe.

Anyone have an opinion on this? I'm probably overthinking it, but I figure I'd ask first.

Wolf
3/02/2007 5:41pm,
Is that $130 or $90 for the entire 6 months or per month? If that's for the whole six months, that's a fantastic value for instruction under a BJJ black belt.

Kistrael
3/02/2007 5:44pm,
$130/$90 per month.

vinhthekid
3/03/2007 2:48am,
i would say try a class.

and then do it. as long as you vibe with the teacher.

bob
3/03/2007 4:18am,
Seems a lot for 2-3 classes per week.

slideyfoot
3/03/2007 4:24am,
$90 per month sounds good to me - I pay $175 (while there are 7 classes a week available, as I have to bounce up and down the country every week, I can normally only make 2). Being locked into a six month contract would be kinda annoying though (mitigated slightly if you have the opportunity to try out a class before signing up): I'm guessing they don't have any provision for long-term injuries or things of that sort?

HonkyTonkMan
3/03/2007 5:58am,
I pay $80 a month and had to sign a 1 year contract at my BJJ school. Cheaper than TKD, and the contracts are shorter.

If the guy is a BB then $90 isnt bad.

Kistrael
3/06/2007 7:54pm,
I went to take a look last night. Only two people there since it's the second or so week that the class has been open. I talked to Mike, purple belt, who was pretty cool.

Alex couldn't show up do to some issues at another dojo, so I didn't get a chance to talk to him. I'll have to talk to Alex himself to see how the money works itself out.

I was told that while they don't have a full schedule now, they would eventually work one out once classes started to fill up. I'd also be able to go to other classes by Alex in the other schools he teaches at; Collgeville, Exton, etc.

Overall, doesn't seem so bad too far. I'll be going back tomorrow night to observe and most likely participate. I should be able to get a chance to talk to Alex then.