PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Surgery

ClintEQ
8/13/2003 4:09pm,
In a few weeks I am going to go under the knife to remove a lump of bone on my left wrist that has been causing me pain in training. The doctor told me that after they cut it off, the bone is very fragile and I should try to be gentle and avoid any intense physical activity for that wrist. At my Kung Fu San Soo studio, when guys break fingers or what not, they stick that arm in their gis and are taught how to fight one handed. Do you guys think I should take a break from training or just continue one handed? Maybe a mix of both?

deus ex machina
8/13/2003 4:13pm,
**** that! The moment you step back into your studio, grab the smallest guy there and wristlock him so hard he flips over! Then when they come to do it to you, yell out "HEY HEY! I just got SURGERY MAN! That's not cool!"

~
danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

"Deus practices the love that dare not speak its name." - Samuel Browning

Sheol
8/13/2003 4:26pm,
ClintEQ:

Do you use only one hand to work, study, or otherwise go about your normal life? Will your instructor or school's insurance cover any additional surgery or permanent disablement should your wrist incur additional damage as a result of recieving a blow or sustaining a fall? Does your school even have insurance that covers each student? If the answer to any of the above is "no", then find a safer way to exercise or traing until your wrist has properly recovered and your doctor has 'okayed' it. Remember the old saying about an ounce of prevention vs. a pound of cure.

Edited by - Sheol on August 13 2003 16:28:12

WTDude
8/13/2003 4:35pm,
My advice:

Become extremely paranoid and timid and don't do anything that might possibly be dangerous for the rest of your life.

FingerorMoon?
8/13/2003 6:38pm,
"The doctor told me that after they cut it off, the bone is very fragile and I should try to be gentle and avoid any intense physical activity for that wrist"

For how long ?

ClintEQ
8/13/2003 7:10pm,
A few weeks. Do I go about my daily life with only one hand... no. And re-breaking my wrist wouldnt make me in the long term. I have medical insurance, and my school is covered too.

FingerorMoon?
8/13/2003 9:03pm,
If its only a few weeks, then chill and let it heal.