PDA

View Full Version : martial arts and body problems

Pages : [1] 2

drummingman
2/28/2007 5:17am,
i have realy bad tendinitis in both of my wrists and im looking to study an effective martial art.i want something that will be great for self defense but won't kill my body in the process.any suggestions?
im a drummer by trade so i can't risk screwing up my wrists or ankles to where i can't play.but i reall want to take a effective martial art.

Nick K
2/28/2007 5:20am,
Savate?

sochin101
2/28/2007 5:53am,
i have realy bad tendinitis in both of my wrists and im looking to study an effective martial art.i want something that will be great for self defense but won't kill my body in the process.any suggestions?
im a drummer by trade so i can't risk screwing up my wrists or ankles to where i can't play.but i reall want to take a effective martial art.

hi dude... you've posted about the effectiveness of Aikido... I wouldn't consider aikido if you have bad wrists... or indeed any art that's going to look at hyper-extension as a normal part of training. You can't drum with a bad shoulder or elbow either, I guess? I would guess (depending on how bad your wrists are) that puts other grappling arts out of the question.

I'd say boxing is your best bet... make sure you use wrist supports or handwraps to help bolster your wrists. This also answers your self-defence question from the other threads, too.

jtkarate
2/28/2007 6:16am,
If your worried about wrist and ankle injuries do not go with aikido . Try some form of grappling like jiu-jitsu, judo or even wrestling,...hell even go with karate if you have any good instructors in the area. But as sochin 101 said make sure to tape up for protection in whichever one you do.

drummingman
2/28/2007 6:31am,
thanks guys.i have thought about striking arts before because of my wrist problems.
also just to give you a bit of background on my wrists.i have had 2 surgeries on my left wrist for the tendinitis (in 1999) .i have not had any surgery on my right wrist but it is still very bad.i try not to shake hands with people because if i do so too much it makes my wrists hurt.if i use the computer too much it makes my hands and wrists hurt,same goes for playing video games.
im fine for drumming if i warm up and stretch out before i play.but there are times when i have had to take a few days off of drumming because my hands where hurting from doing other things which made my hands hurt while drumming.

Askari
2/28/2007 7:34am,
Dont do martial arts.

Take up Yoga for fitness and stay away from those crazy people that do BJJ.

PirateJon
2/28/2007 7:50am,
Take a handgun class.

Nick K
2/28/2007 8:26am,
The reason I was wondering about savate is that the level of contact is, I understand, *generally * less than boxing/Muay Thai, but the training is less rigid and more alive than a lot (not all, Stuart A, before you shoot me!) of TKD. I have to say my experience in this is not personal, but 2nd hand, and may be inaccurate.

have a look at http://www.londonsavate.co.uk/technique/video.htm

Hapkido/aikido/JJJ/BJJ are likely to be more problematic as they involve either wrist manipulation or lots of grippng, unless you invest heavily in strength training to minimise your liability to tendonitis.

As with all things, however, you're probably best going to have a look at a class and a chat with the instructor.

Even if you tape up, there's going to be a risk, I guess.

plasma
2/28/2007 9:02am,

Take Glucosamine.

I get these at Costco and drink one for breakfast http://www.jointjuice.com/How_Does_Joint_Juice_Work.html

jnp
2/28/2007 9:08am,
Take Glucosamine.

I get these at Costco and drink one for breakfast http://www.jointjuice.com/How_Does_Joint_Juice_Work.html
Thanks Ninjew!

I've been trying to remember to take the recommended six pills of glucosamine a day. I usually forget though. I'll definitely check out that stuff.

plasma
2/28/2007 9:13am,
Thanks Ninjew!

I've been trying to remember to take the recommended six pills of glucosamine a day. I usually forget though. I'll definitely check out that stuff.

Yeah glucosamine pills are large and they start making me gag after a few of them. My instructor found this stuff. It tastes good, very little sugar, and 1500mg serving of glucosamine.

PizDoff
3/01/2007 12:36am,
I have a MSM, glucosamine and chondritin mixture product. Liquid of course.
The pills, which I used to take as well, have addictives and do not absorb into the body as well as do the liquid products.

Switched after reading several studies and articles years ago.

Bang!
3/01/2007 12:40am,
Chondroitin is the one that's actually supposed to facilitate healing, by the way. MSM is a natural ant-inflammatory, so it's often a good idea post-workout (not that I haven't been completely fucking slack about taking it lately).

Neildo
3/01/2007 11:55am,
Take Glucosamine.

Dude, you rule. I'm definately going to keep my eyes open for this stuff.

Teh El Macho
3/01/2007 12:41pm,
Dont do martial arts.

Take up Yoga for fitness and stay away from those crazy people that do BJJ.^^^ What he said.

drummingman, no matter how you look at it, and no matter what art you get to train, there is always a risk of fucking up your shoulders, wrists and/or ankles. Any form of grappling will put a toll on those articulations.

People may suggest boxing, but even then, there is always a risk of injuring your hands and wrists. There is no way around it.

When you say you have tendonitis, can you be a bit specific? Do you have it in the inside of your arms (running down the palm of the hand) or outside (from the back of your hand towards your elbow)? This is important.

I suffered from tendonitis on the inside of the forearms (the flexors) and carpal tunnel . One time it got so bad I couldn't even hold a pen and write down for over a week. It took a lot of icying and ibuprofen to get it down. Anyways, that's the most common type of tendonitis, including for drummers, which results in part by a muscular imbalance and relatively weak finger flexors.

It's easy to ameliorate that by using rubber bands as in the picture below:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o197/Luis_Espinal/blogging%20content/exercises/extensors-conditioning.jpg

That's just for general well-being. If the economic risk you face from a wrist injury is too much, then perhaps it is not practical to do martial arts (certainly not any form of grappling or wrestling).

The safest thing will be boxing, not because it's not less effective than the others, but because you need to use protection on your hands and wrists, and because it does not involve any form of join locks or kicks that may hurt your ankles. Besides, with proper hand wrapping, protection and training, boxing will strenghten your hands and wrists.

However, even then there is some risk, which only you can gauge. Regardless of whether you take on a martial art or not, you should look into strenghtening your hands, wrists and forearms, with an emphasis on the finger flexors. It won't get rid of tendonitis, but it will make it more bearable.

Take a look at this when you get a chance: http://www.grapplearts.com/Grip-Strength-Training.htm

Plus it will make your hands and wrists stronger if and when you decide to take on boxing.

Good luck and be safe.

drummingman
3/02/2007 1:34am,
thanks for the great post el macho and the link.i will check it out.
the tendinitis that i have in both hands is in my wrists and thumbs on the thumb side of the wrists that runs up my arms on that side.i also get pain in other parts of my hands from using a computer in random places (fingers,base of fingers,base of wrists) and from shaking hands to much ( thumb side).
i go back and forth on talking self defense because of that fear that i could mess up my body and put me out of druuming, but its just hard for me to shake the interest.
i used to do those exercises with the bands on my fingers a long time ago.thanks for reminding me of that exercise.