PDA

View Full Version : Striking first or grappling

Pages : [1] 2 3

DarkXacreD
2/26/2007 10:33pm,
Right now I'm trying to incorporate training at Toronto BJJ (http://www.torontobjj.com/schedule.htm) into my schedule. I originally wanted to do boxing, muay thai, and BJJ all at once, but I can't seem to do all of them in one week, because many of the BJJ classes overlap with the boxing classes. So what I'm thinking of doing is to rotate between boxing, and muay thai/BJJ each week. One week I do the boxing and the conditioning classes, the next week I do BJJ from 6-7 and then muay thai from 9-10, and so on. On Thursdays and maybe Tuesdays I trick. Sundays I rest. With varied discrepancies due to possible all-nighters working on projects and whatnot.

Do you guys think this is a good idea, or should I do them one at a time/organize it differently?

TKDBot
2/26/2007 10:34pm,
In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, DarkXacreD, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

Shuma-Gorath
2/26/2007 10:42pm,
Have you already paid there? I can list some schools where the striking and grappling training is consecutive.

Cassius
2/26/2007 10:42pm,
Edit: Do what Shuma says.

DarkXacreD
2/26/2007 10:46pm,
No, I haven't paid yet. I like the place primarily cuz its close to where I live on-campus at Yonge and Dundas. If you could list somewhere that's also pretty close, that would be cool, cuz if I'm paying for unlimited training I want to actually be able to go when I want and make the classes in time...

Oh yeah my classes usually end around 4-6 p.m., so...yeah life gets on my nerves sometimes.

Mei Hua
2/26/2007 10:51pm,
Do you guys think this is a good idea, or should I do them one at a time/organize it differently?

Depends on your skill level, if you're keeping it down with that schedule keep going, if you're having trouble extend the period to two weeks on and then switch to the other.

Shuma-Gorath
2/26/2007 10:54pm,
Shah Franco Martial Arts is on the Yonge line and probably just as close to you as TorontoBJJ in terms of subway time.
www.shahfrancomartialarts.com
www.francobehring.com

I run the UToronto BJJ campus club and we are affiliated with Shah's. We train twice a week just south of the AGO, including Sunday when Shah's school is closed. If you sign up with Shah you train with us for free, and our space is usually where the intramural tournaments are held.

DarkXacreD
2/26/2007 11:06pm,
So I I could sign up with Shah at the "Central Academy" up near Yonge/Lawrence, and then train with you at the UofT campus for free? Is that how it works?

Shuma-Gorath
2/26/2007 11:28pm,
So I I could sign up with Shah at the "Central Academy" up near Yonge/Lawrence, and then train with you at the UofT campus for free? Is that how it works?
Exactly. I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have in the meantime.

DarkXacreD
2/27/2007 12:32am,
Would I be paying the $1500/year membership fee at Shah, or do I just have to fill in a form at Shah?

Shuma-Gorath
2/27/2007 1:04am,
Would I be paying the $1500/year membership fee at Shah, or do I just have to fill in a form at Shah?
That's the one-year membership fee you'd have to pay to Shah. I think there's still a $750 / 6 months deal but you'd have to ask as I've always signed up for the year. The trial class is $20.

If you're living on a typical student income there might be more flexible payment options available.

You could also sign up with the UToronto club for $100/term + $40/year to Franco-Behring Jiu-Jitsu and that gets you BJJ every Tuesday & Sunday with Saturday classes at Shah's, as well as the ability to pay $10/class to go to Shah's any time you want. It sounds like you go to Ryerson but I don't restrict the club to just UToronto students.

DarkXacreD
2/27/2007 1:22am,
Yeah I do go to Ryerson hahaha

So...I'd only be able to train 'for free' at UofT if I'm paying the $1500 per year (or however you cut it up) membership fee at Shahs (that doesn't count as free! :P)?

OR

Sign up at the UofT club for what you posted, and then be entitled to BJJ classes...and then $10/class drop-in at Shahs? Sounds like a better deal...would I still be able to train other stuff like boxing etc. at UofT?

Shuma-Gorath
2/27/2007 1:57am,
Sounds like a better deal...would I still be able to train other stuff like boxing etc. at UofT?
You'd have to get your standup training at Shah's. We are just a BJJ program at the university, and if you trained with us on Tuesdays you'd miss one of the kickboxing classes (we end at 7PM, which is when it starts).

BackFistMonkey
2/27/2007 3:20am,
Striking first or grappling ?

Yes .

DarkXacreD
2/27/2007 11:29am,
Yes .
Gee, thanks...?

You'd have to get your standup training at Shah's. We are just a BJJ program at the university, and if you trained with us on Tuesdays you'd miss one of the kickboxing classes (we end at 7PM, which is when it starts).
Augh so complicated...maybe it's just early.

Is the kickboxing muay thai or like...savate? Cuz the picture kinda tells me it's that American TKD sorta thing, but the description says "Asian and French arts"...French probably means savate, right? But what does "Asian" mean?

Or would you recommend the karate?

Goju - Joe
2/27/2007 11:35am,
There's a rumour that Chute Box will be partnering with TBJJ

If that's the case you would be retarded leaving them