PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Video

Pages : [1] 2

Slydermv
2/23/2007 10:57am,
A K1 fight of Kaoklai Kaennorsing vs. Park Yong Soo

I've checked youtube and google video but no luck. Anyone seen the video or know some good site where I might find it?

Anna Kovacs
2/23/2007 11:00am,
You might consider checking on k1- fans.

Slydermv
2/23/2007 11:46am,
Awesome... found it. Thanks!

Slydermv
2/23/2007 1:41pm,
http://www.mncast.com/mainFrame.asp?mainSubMenu=%2Fsearch%2F_xmlhttpSear ch.asp&stSearchType=1000&stSearch=2007+k1

Just some comments for the TKD vs. [insert accepted MA here] debate. (feel free to move the thread to the YMAS forum if appropiate.

Here's the link (2nd video on the page). Park Yong Soo was an Olympic TKD alternate for the 2004 games who made a cross over into K1. His first few fights were all victories, however there was critism they were against lesser skilled opponents.

Based on my understanding, the Thai Boxer here is no slouch, so it generates an evenly matched fight for the style vs. style debate. Now Park has done some cross training here ( hands up a bit, and the timing for the cross against the leg kick) but the footwork and his offence is generally TKD.

The three rounds here ended up a draw with the Thai boxer winning the fourth as Park was pretty gassed (though it's not shown on this video).

I've never judged kick boxing fights, but I personally think Park had the win after the three rounds. His striking, especially in the 1st look more effective. I tend to be a TKD nut rider though. Any other critiques about this... comment, changes of heart about how TKD is now the ultimate?

Ke?poFist
2/23/2007 3:42pm,
Park Yong Soo is freaking huge.

Slydermv
2/23/2007 3:55pm,
Park Yong Soo is freaking huge.

TKD + Kimchi = FTW

Torakaka
2/23/2007 4:12pm,
Yeah, the size difference between Kaoklai and this guy tips the scales quite a bit. I think the fact that the guy comes from a TKD background did in fact help deal with the way Kaoklai fights in the open weight devision (relying on speed and evasiveness to overcome the size and strength disparity). I think he obviously has decent kickboxing abilities, though he could certainly stand to work on his boxing (he threw some UGLY ass punches) and someone like Ray Sefo would more than likely knock him out.

Slydermv
2/23/2007 4:27pm,
The nasty punching comes from the TKD background. It's not a focus. But seeing him and knowing his training, alot of the evasion, footwork and kicking techs are purely TKD and put together in a kickboxing match.

While you can'telp but laugh at the McDojo's and the 8 year old blackbelts.. I was posting this video to show what upper level TKD guys can accomplish in a full contact situation. And that maybe even Thai boxers/kick boxers, etc. can look at TKD to help improve their standup (given it's trained right) rather then snickering in the background.

Given his size and his opponents strategy as you layed out, I think this goes to show how effective the footwork we train can be. He saw 90% of those kicks coming and wasn't there.

Hopefully this guy will continue to fight (higher level opponents) and win or show helping the martial arts tarnished image. (/end defending the glory of TKD)

Torakaka
2/23/2007 4:46pm,
I'm not trying to rag on TKD here, as I do see benefits to some of the methods ( I got my ass handed to me a while back by a girl who I believe got at least most of her kicking ability from TKD... kicks were fast and accurate as hell ), but honestly beyond how quickly he was able to get off his kicks for such a big guy, he didn't really show much that was impressive in this match. I didn't really see this footwork you speak of, the times where Kaoklai missed a kick were from him throwing the kicks out of range or almost so (which he does because he's not so stupid as to not be afraid of getting KTFO by people twice his size). He also ate a lot more leg kicks than you'd seem to suggest.

I think other than the fact Park was more active, he didn't really seem to be decisively winning any of the rounds in my opinion. He threw a lot of kicks and his forward momentum had Kaoklai on his heels most of the time, but Kaoklai's offense generally resulted in much more impressive reactions. I wouldn't say Kaoklai was "kicking ass" or anything, but he certainly didn't seem to be in any danger at any point during the match, despite the large size disparity.

Ke?poFist
2/23/2007 5:05pm,
I've never done TKD, but the fast lightfooted footwork and lightning and accurate kicks do seem like something useful to add to ones arsenal. Problem is, too many TKD schools let you slide on your training and attain black belt without the ability.

I used to work my kicks alot because I wanted that kind of speed and finesse. I got pretty good IMO, but then my friend showed me how my utter lack of knowledge whatsoever on the ground left me susceptible to any level of grappler. Since then I've focused nearly entirely on my BJJ training, but soon I think I may want to start working my kicks again (after I get my formal boxing training in of course).

Torakaka
2/23/2007 5:09pm,
I've never done TKD, but the fast lightfooted footwork and lightning and accurate kicks do seem like something useful to add to ones arsenal. Problem is, too many TKD schools let you slide on your training and attain black belt without the ability.

I used to work my kicks alot because I wanted that kind of speed and finesse. I got pretty good IMO, but then my friend showed me how my utter lack of knowledge whatsoever on the ground left me susceptible to any level of grappler. Since then I've focused nearly entirely on my BJJ training, but soon I think I may want to start working my kicks again (after I get my formal boxing training in of course).

MMA SUX F U

Ke?poFist
2/23/2007 6:24pm,
MMA SUX F U

Oh go back to your Moo Tai. You're just jealous because MMA is still at a point where you can be sloppy as **** and still win :)

weechey
2/23/2007 11:32pm,
http://www.mncast.com/mainFrame.asp?mainSubMenu=%2Fsearch%2F_xmlhttpSear ch.asp&stSearchType=1000&stSearch=2007+k1

Just some comments for the TKD vs. [insert accepted MA here] debate. (feel free to move the thread to the YMAS forum if appropiate.

Here's the link (2nd video on the page). Park Yong Soo was an Olympic TKD alternate for the 2004 games who made a cross over into K1. His first few fights were all victories, however there was critism they were against lesser skilled opponents.

Based on my understanding, the Thai Boxer here is no slouch, so it generates an evenly matched fight for the style vs. style debate. Now Park has done some cross training here ( hands up a bit, and the timing for the cross against the leg kick) but the footwork and his offence is generally TKD.

The three rounds here ended up a draw with the Thai boxer winning the fourth as Park was pretty gassed (though it's not shown on this video).

I've never judged kick boxing fights, but I personally think Park had the win after the three rounds. His striking, especially in the 1st look more effective. I tend to be a TKD nut rider though. Any other critiques about this... comment, changes of heart about how TKD is now the ultimate?

Took a look at the video - I see it as Park getting his butt handed to him by the MT guy. Park was waaay bigger, but the MT guy just kept chopping away at his left leg and even knocked him down at least three times w/ leg kicks. You could see clearly as the match went on that Park was favoring that leg - on top of that, he didn't do any serious damage to the MT guy. A couple of head kicks here and there, but nothing that landed solid. The axe kicks I saw tended to miss, and anyway, set Park up for another leg kick. At the end of the bout, Park was gassed, while his opponent was still light on his feet. I wouldn't have called it a draw.

I've got a TKD background too, but this match looked too one sided to me.

Slydermv
2/26/2007 9:14am,
Took a look at the video - I see it as Park getting his butt handed to him by the MT guy. Park was waaay bigger, but the MT guy just kept chopping away at his left leg and even knocked him down at least three times w/ leg kicks. You could see clearly as the match went on that Park was favoring that leg - on top of that, he didn't do any serious damage to the MT guy. A couple of head kicks here and there, but nothing that landed solid. The axe kicks I saw tended to miss, and anyway, set Park up for another leg kick. At the end of the bout, Park was gassed, while his opponent was still light on his feet. I wouldn't have called it a draw.

I've got a TKD background too, but this match looked too one sided to me.

I don't know. On the other side... Park seemed to be the agressor. He caught the Thai Boxer with numerous straight rights to counter his low kicks. In the third round I think (can't watch the video... at work) the visibly hurt him and had him backed into a corner (but he sadly didn't do anything). The Thai boxers reactions (a little bit of cockiness and swagger) showed Park lands solid blows. I think there werer more opportunities for Park to capitalize as well (like after that sloppy back kick in the seond I think) where he could have done some swerious damage... but I'd have to chalk that up to experience. Of course, he did get caught with a number of solid leg kicks and got a leg kicks out from under him, but since when do leg kicks win fights? I think he's someone to look out for, particularily since he has only a year experiance and 3-4 fights under his belt.

kick
2/26/2007 6:21pm,
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8l3c_wfa-bas-rutten-vs-ruben-villareal

Leg Kicks FTW. 3:30

Park was waayy bigger than the other guy, against someone his own size I think he would have lost.

He did throw some nice kicks though, MMA generally doesn't have many nice kicks thrown, there are some exceptions.

IMO TKD does have something to give to an already good MMA'er in the field of kicks, apparently Fedor has taken up TKD to improve his kicks.

For anyone going to watch the Park vid it is long about 19 minutes and they touch gloves to start the fight at 6.18, so you can afford to start it up, then come back.

If there are any Net geniuses out there that could cut the vid down to a 2-3 min highlight reel that would be great.

Slydermv
2/27/2007 9:25am,
*nods* Yes he was bigger... but my understanding is that the Thai boxer regularly fights and beats bigger opponents. That's his game. Why he is in the open weight division.

Another plus is that Park... a much bigger man, had the footwork to move with the smaller more experianced opponent

But fair enough... he could stand to learn a little leg kick defence when his footwork dosen't work for him...