PDA

View Full Version : Xing-yi Style discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Hands
2/17/2007 3:05am,
Style: Xing Yi (Specifically: Hsu Hong-Chi/Chiao Chang-Hung/Tang Shou Tao lines)

Principles: Perfect body mechanics and structure at all time. Study of body mechanics and structure to determine the best places and best ways to hit.

Abilities: Um...not sure on this one. Difficult to move/root. Proper body movements.

Timeline: Different for some, but as an average student, basics in a couple years, increasing as you go, based on practice.

Cheeky Claim: Been studying for about 12 (some better than others) years, 3 different teachers, same line of XY.

I haven't seen much Xing Yi. I hear that the style uses straight-angle footwork were bagua is circular. Is that correct? So what do you guys do for strikes? open hand, palm, punches, elbows?

dwhomp
2/17/2007 3:57am,
I haven't seen much Xing Yi. I hear that the style uses straight-angle footwork were bagua is circular. Is that correct? So what do you guys do for strikes? open hand, palm, punches, elbows?

Straight Angle footwork: Sure, in a way. The system is very linear based (later you learn it is tiny circles). More importantly then what the angle of the footwork is the timing of the body. To use the foot as an example, an entry principle is foot and hand are connected so as the fist is connecting, the rear foot drive it. There are a few of these connections or princliples.

Type of strikes: All the above. Most common practiced are fist, phoenix fist (a one-knuckle fist used in VERY limited situations), and open palm. We dont focus on "techniques" as much as proper movement. With proper movement, the strikes seem to be there or not. While sometimes we focus on certain "he does this, you do this" it is a small facet.

Xing Yi vs Bagua: In many many ways, they are very similiar, but yes, Bagua tends to be very circular in practice. I find that much of the bagua foorwork to be superior and much of it has found its way into XY practice as most teachers study the big three (add Tai Chi). As far as me personally studying Bagua only, well, folks that know me laugh at that. I am pretty bad at it and generally dislike it. There are differing opinions though: Some say teach XY first then Bagua to refine it. Other say "Tai chi for the masses, Bagua for the good students, Xing Yi for me". bagua is certain much more esoteric then XY and it is common for XY to be a "crossover" art for traditional external to internal styles/ideas.

Omar
2/19/2007 2:51am,
I'll try and shoot some life into this thread here but I am not seeing enough Xingyi players around here to get my hopes up too high.

I hear that the style uses straight-angle footwork were bagua is circular.

Since we gots just 2 feet, it's ALL "angular". More accurate to say that the Xingyi way tends to present more of a "run 'em down" approach where Bagua techniques place more emphasis on outflanking your opponent but it's just a matter of emphasis. The other thing that distinguishes the footwork is Baguas greater emphais (IMO) on hooking the legs, sweeps and stuff like that where in Xingyi I see more simple taking up of space. You move to stand right where the other guy is standing. You just displace him, destroy his stance.

So what do you guys do for strikes? open hand, palm, punches, elbows?

Yes.

jipsyju
2/19/2007 5:26am,
I'm considering taking xing yi.... found a "master" of sorts out here, but I haven't been able to hook up with him yet to ask him more about it, or get a sample of his work. Maybe you can tell me more.
Is it a practical fighting system at all? Or is it more of a supplemental exercise when studying the hard ma's?

TheOtherChris
2/28/2007 8:48am,
Xin Yi can be an extremely practical fighting system, and it can also benefit people studying harder styles. If not for the fighting theories and power generating etc., the qi-gong and nei-gong elements of XY are really superb.

I study Xin Yi Liu He Quan (fist of mind, intention and six harmonies) under grandmaster Qian "Chainsaw" Zhaohong from Shanghai. The forms are very short in this particular style (in sharp contrast to most schools of Tai Chi), but are repeated several times. He has a website (http://masterqian.multiply.com/), the "blog" has some info about him and Xin Yi in general. If you live in that area, you could check it out.

Mei Hua
2/28/2007 11:57pm,
Some interesting info. (http://www.chinafrominside.com/ma/xyxy.html)

Naszir
3/07/2007 1:17am,
I heard a saying to the effect of "Xing Yi as a young man, Bagua at middle age and Taiji as the elder". Could you shed some light on this? Is it mentality, footwork or the way the techniques play out?

MartinShanghai
3/09/2007 5:43am,
TheOtherChris - do you live in Shanghai?

TheOtherChris
3/10/2007 4:56am,
No, I live in Sweden. But as of recently Master Qian visits here every year (he's coming next month, actually :smile:.) Do you study under Qian? Perhaps we've met, during one of the seminar weeks held here? I remember a Martin being there, who Qian demonstrated a couple of applications on iirc.

MartinShanghai
3/13/2007 5:30am,
Yes Chris, that's me. Glad you like his stuff, but it's probably best not to say you study under someone if you've only attended some seminars. No offense. I would hesitate to say I do and I lived in Shanghai 2002-2003/4. See you at some seminars in the future, no doubt! :)

dwhomp
3/13/2007 6:28am,
I heard a saying to the effect of "Xing Yi as a young man, Bagua at middle age and Taiji as the elder". Could you shed some light on this? Is it mentality, footwork or the way the techniques play out?

Hmm, I cant say I agree with this. But I think if I was to introduce someone to IMA from EMA, XY is a great transition because it is the most similiar to the known.

It could be because of the mentality...XY is very militaristic and aggressive in nature and probably better for a younger man. I will say that when I started TCC, I only did it since I couldnt find XY right away. As I get older, there is more appeal.

TheOtherChris
3/14/2007 3:50am,
Yes Chris, that's me. Glad you like his stuff, but it's probably best not to say you study under someone if you've only attended some seminars. No offense. I would hesitate to say I do and I lived in Shanghai 2002-2003/4. See you at some seminars in the future, no doubt! :)
Yes, that's true and I understand the difference. It was just a poor choice of words, didn't think much about it but I'll select them more carefully in the future. I was merely trying to inform the other guy about Qian's school and suggest he check it out if he lived in the area.

Naszir
3/14/2007 3:56pm,
Could one of the Xing Yi stylists here please explain the 10 Animals or 12 Animals found in the systems?

dwhomp
3/15/2007 2:26am,
Could one of the Xing Yi stylists here please explain the 10 Animals or 12 Animals found in the systems?

Can you be more specific in what information you would like and the context? I am not sure how to answer your question.

Like do you want to know the purpose? Intention? Training methods? Origins?

MartinShanghai
3/15/2007 6:55am,
10 animals of Henan xinyi liuhe quan:
Dragon, Snake, Eagle, Bear, Tiger, Hawk, Swallow, Chicken, Monkey, Horse.

12 animals of xingyiquan:
as above, but with Water lizard and Tai bird in addition.

Naszir
3/15/2007 8:22am,
I was more wondering about the differences in the system, why 12 in one and 10 in another? Was it lineage, location? Also, how do the animals apply in light of what I have heard about the energies in Xing Yi I believe splitting is one? If there are links with this info I would appreciate them if you don't feel like typing it out.