PDA

View Full Version : trying to get in shape

Go_2_sleep
2/05/2007 1:48am,
Hey im 17 6'0'' and around 340lbs. I used to play football for my local community college but i stopped because i needed o focus on my classes. I've been studying Yuushi-do Karate for around a year and i love martial arts and i hope to fight in MMA when im 18 but i dont want to fight in the super heavy weight class. i need to get down to 265lbs and i want to know if there is anyone out there who can help me out with any workout tips or nutrition suggestions. Any help at all would be greatly apprieciated.

thx,
Go_2_sleep

AikidoBot
2/05/2007 1:49am,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, Go_2_sleep. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

PirateJon
2/05/2007 8:44am,
Read this. Learn this. Do this.
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/7habits.htm

Also, if you want to "fight mma", you should probably look for a MMA gym.

Teh El Macho
2/05/2007 9:28am,
Read this. Learn this. Do this.
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/7habits.htm

Also, if you want to "fight mma", you should probably look for a MMA gym.Best link ever.

Go_2_sleep, you'll notice that one of the "7 habits" mentioned by PirateJon's link is about eating often (every 2-3 hours). In some cases it's difficult for people to do this (be it because of work schedule, lack of money, whatever). Still, you don't have to go overboard or make things complicated.

One simple suggestion is to take one of your tipical lunches and split it in two. Rather than eating it at noon (for example), you eat 50% at 11 and the other 50% ideally at 2pm, but that can't be, then at 4 or 5 or whenever (and eat a granolla bar in between.)

Even a typical mcdonalds combo can be split this way. Replace the soda with water or ice tea (non-sweetened preferably), ask the fries to be without salt, and split the sandwich in two.

Now, you have one drink, two halves of a sandwich and a bunch of french fries. Those are three meals and the drink as a filler to be drank before or after the meals. Perhaps not the healthiest ones, but much better than treating the entire thing as a meal. Now we could eat a half sandwich at 11am, the fries somewhere between 2-4pm, and the half sandwich 2+ hours later.

I make that suggestion because I don't know what your diet is, but this was one trick I used to get my diet in check when I was in college (and in college, junk food rules.) Even today when I'm in a hurry I get a junk combo and split it like that.

Perhaps you could share with us what your diet looks like, and what type of exercise (warmup, calistenics, etc) you do in and outside of your martial arts training. However, the "7 habits" by themselves work.

And welcome to bullshido.

SFGOON
2/05/2007 9:36am,
If you want to get in good shape fast (and have about 300$) to burn, I would suggest you grab a kettlebell and a book or two by Pavel Tsatsouline at dragondoor.com and for your nutrition, which is about 10 times more important than how you train, (almost all excercise is good, few commercial diets are however) go to precision nutrion. They'll get you squared away.

SpringHeeledJack
2/05/2007 10:15am,
What they said plus a boxing gym.

aaaargh
2/06/2007 9:25pm,
Switch to diet soda.

Fat = 3500 Calories / lb.
250 calories a day x 365 day/year = 25 lbs every year.