PDA

View Full Version : New to this here forum doohickey

spook66
2/04/2007 9:50pm,
I'm new here so be gentle. The first martial art training I got was from my dad. When I was 8 my brother and I got 16 oz. boxing gloves for christmas and then proceeded to pound the stuffing out of each other. This vicious cycle lasted until I was fourteen when the gloves got lost in a move, which was quite a shame because I found that I could wear them on my feet and be gorilla boy for an afternoon.
Later I took fencing. You say, where's the martial art in that, but when I keep my feets a-moving, it makes it harder to hit me. Then came the college 'self-defense' class. I thought, 'Hey self defense, why not?' Then on the first day, I found I was the other guy in the class. Guess who got to be the villain/rapist/aggressor? This lead to two memorable moments, the first when I roundhouse punched at a striking target and nailed this girl in the head, right in the temple. She staggered but she took the blow. Got a nice knot for it too, but damn I admired her for that. The second was a "grab from the rear" exercise that I was doing with my friend. He was screwing around flapping his arms while talking to someone and I grabbed for his upper arms from behind. I missed, and my thumb knuckle hit flat and tore the ligaments in the thumb. Whee.
I decided to get serious and study aikido and shinkendo at Aikido of Livermore (http://www.aikilivermore.com/). It was a fun two years that I spent doing that. The smaller folks there liked that I was so big because they liked an uke with some resistance. The only thing that worked against me in aikido was some tumbling/gymnastics that I had taken that made the sensei throw me about 40 times in a row so I would fall properly. I don't know if he realized I was really trying to smack him in the head after 20 falls, but the exhaustion wasn't allowing me to raise my arms very high...

Anyway, I ended up moving to Alameda. I hooked up with some Renaissance faire people that studied the martial aspects of the 1500's and got some practice in with pike, halberd and sword, and had an epiphinous moment when a Fiore instructor was demonstrating halberd techniques that tied all the way back to aikido.

Today I am a great fat bastard sitting in front of his computer. I'd like to take some more lessons, and the Bay Area has many opportunites, but the college I'm attending is sucking my soul away.

OmegaBot
2/04/2007 9:51pm,
So spook66, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83).

alex
2/05/2007 1:25am,
college is not an excuse, many people here go to college. unlike me, some of them even do real degrees.

leere_form
2/05/2007 1:40am,
if i weren't doing martial arts i would probably hate college a lot and want to strangle people all the time.

since i am now actually strangling people all the time this is not a problem.