View Full Version : Deadly game leaves family, community searching for answers

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

PizDoff
2/03/2007 7:00pm,
Deadly game leaves family, community searching for answers

Father warns other parents in hopes of preventing more tragedies
By MARK SZAKONYI
Advocate Reporter

NEWARK -- With apple pie in his stomach and plans to see a movie with his family, Wednesday night was shaping up nicely for Cayden Wince-Prior.

Things took a tragic and unexpected turn when his parents found their 12-year-old son hanging in the basement of their Newark home.

Cayden's parents never had heard of the "choking game" until their son's death, but now they want others to know.
"He is dead now," Cayden's father, Rob Wince, said. "There is nothing I can do about it, but I want others to know."

He said his athletic and good-natured son never showed signs of experimenting with asphyxiating in order to get a brief high.

"Cayden was a very happy, outgoing, athletic kid," said his stepmother, Lisa Garrett, whom Cayden called "Mom." "He had everything going for him."

She said her Cayden enjoyed hunting, 4-wheeling, football, baseball and, most recently, wrestling.

"He wanted to get into wrestling because I do Ultimate Fighting," Wince said as he wore the fourth-place medal Cayden won last week at his first wrestling tournament.

The vibrant boy also was becoming a "ladies' man," with girls from school calling the house every night.

"His girlfriend changed every week, but he always had one," said Garrett, who plans to marry Wince in March.

Less than an hour before his death, Cayden was at McDonald's polishing off a chicken sandwich, an order of fries and two apple pies with his father and two brothers, Wince said.

When they returned home, his brothers took a bath and Cayden went to the basement, Garrett said.

She said she called down to him to see whether he was going to watch the Disney movie with the rest of the family.

He did not answer.

Garrett said she first thought he was pulling a prank, but then her fiancÚ found something different.

"Where it happened, he could have stood up, but, because he lost consciousness, he slumped down," she said.

Wince said he remembers getting himself to hyperventilate with his friends when he was young.

"They are doing it different ways," he said. "Well, the Internet is showing you how to do it."

Wince said he believes his son learned how to asphyxiate himself by looking at Web sites describing the process while using the Internet at school.

He said the family's computer has online access, but he and his fiancee monitor their children's use.

"Why aren't they watching what these kids are getting on?" he asked.

Newark City School Superintendent Keith Richards said parents sign releases determining how often kids can be on the Internet, what they can use it for and how much supervision they require.

"The parents tell us what is acceptable," he said.

Richards said intermediate school students don't have much time to access the Internet, and they are highly supervised when they do.

Garrett said she still hadn't told Cayden's brothers Landen Wince, 3, and Keegan Gallagher, 5, what happened. They have said only their big brother is sick.

"We haven't found the words to tell them," she said.

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070202/NEWS01/702020301/1002

Noted an article from MMA Weekly. Our prayers go out to the family.

JohnnyCache
2/03/2007 7:15pm,
With respect to the family, it sounds like they're pretty quick to blame the school.

pauli
2/03/2007 7:20pm,
yes they are.

Cowardly Lurker
2/03/2007 8:04pm,
I can understand, though. As a parent, it's frustrating that schools often do very little in the way of monitoring what the kids are up to. I mean, my 11 year old is always coming home talking about stuff he's seen on youtube while at school. So, my first thought is, "damn, there's a lot of **** on Youtube that's borderline for an 11 year old." My second thought is, "Why were you fucking around on Youtube when you should be learning something?"

I talk to my kids all the time about what's on the internet, but the sheer volume of inappropriate BS out there is staggering.

Knave
2/04/2007 3:59am,
Greetings.

This reminds me of a woman on Oprah (Yeah I watch Oprah sometimes big whoop wanna fight about it?!) a while back who was mad at a school/other parents/the government/society because her daughter got herself killed playing chubby bunny.

bad credit
2/04/2007 4:51pm,
I hate to sound cold, but isn't kids dying from the choking game just good Darwinian evolution at work?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
2/04/2007 6:59pm,
Greetings.

This reminds me of a woman on Oprah (Yeah I watch Oprah sometimes big whoop wanna fight about it?!) a while back who was mad at a school/other parents/the government/society because her daughter got herself killed playing chubby bunny.

chubby bunny?

phuquedup
2/04/2007 9:33pm,
I hate to sound cold, but isn't kids dying from the choking game just good Darwinian evolution at work?

Correction.
You wish you sounded cold, you hate that you sound retarded.

Robot Jesus
2/04/2007 9:38pm,
chubby bunny?

you fill your mouth with marshmallows and try to say "chubby bunny".

this is what happens when one cannot experiment with chemicals, and are taught that anything natural is good.

Sam Browning
2/04/2007 9:56pm,
I predict they may now sue the school system even though there is a big hole in their evidence that said school system is responsible.

This would be that such an idea even came from the internet, let alone from the internet at this particular location.

They are not even able to produce a friend of his to testify that their departed son told him that he indeed learn this information from the internet at school. They have NO evidence that the school system is at fault.

Its the blame game, ladies and gentlemen.

bad credit
2/05/2007 4:01am,
Do elaborate, phuquedup, do elaborate. Did one of your inbred family try the choking game?

I feel for the family, but seriously, how dumb do you got to be to hang yourself alone for a thrill? Don't these kids get taught history about how we use to execute people by hanging? Uh, duh, Saddam Hussein was killed that way just a little bit ago. It was all over the internet and TV. Don't kids get that at school? Didn't this kid have MMA training? Didn't he know how chokes work?

bad credit
2/05/2007 4:17am,
****, it's not like the "choking game" hasn't been in the news before for killing other dumb kids before they could pass on their obviously defective genes.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
2/05/2007 5:00am,
you fill your mouth with marshmallows and try to say "chubby bunny".

this is what happens when one cannot experiment with chemicals, and are taught that anything natural is good.

what are you doing not eating a bunch of marshmellows when they're in your mouth?

TheCount
2/05/2007 5:03am,
I can understand the frustration... but while they are saying how athletic he was he must have been a total mongo. Hanging yourself for a high... what the hell did they teach their kid.. if anything.

phuquedup
2/05/2007 10:15am,
Do elaborate, phuquedup, do elaborate. Did one of your inbred family try the choking game?
I'm sorry you're butthurt.

****, it's not like the "choking game" hasn't been in the news before for killing other dumb kids before they could pass on their obviously defective genes.
You don't know **** about ****; much less about genetics or natural selection. Your genes are clearly inferior.

I can understand the frustration... but while they are saying how athletic he was he must have been a total mongo. Hanging yourself for a high... what the hell did they teach their kid.. if anything.
Dangerous and potentially lethal behavior isnt that uncommon in kids and adolescents. You might be right, but its hard to draw conclusions based on one news article.

Youthful stupidity doesnt usually lead to tragedy - in this case it did. Its pretty fucking sad, to be honest.

Chili Pepper
2/05/2007 11:56am,
Deadly game leaves family, community searching for answers

Back when I worked as a newspaper reporter, that was the sort of headline written before the reporter went out to interview anybody. Another example was "Local Man Murdered, Neighbours Shocked"