PDA

View Full Version : CMA Forum/How not to look stupid FAQ

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Bang!
2/02/2007 1:03pm,
FAQ (subject to update)

Why the Chinese martial arts (CMA) forum?
This area is for the discussion of all styles of CMA. It is expected that posters will have competency in their respective arts, since opinions are like . . . well, everyone has one, donít they?

Donít you guys hate CMA?
Settle down. Bullshido.net is probably a lot more open-minded than you think. And thanks to this forum, discussion will be kept largely flame-free. MMA nutriders have their own space to hang out. The price you pay for this well-appointed lounge is actually having something to offer in the way of intelligent discussion.

There are other forums out there, you know . . . Ones with fewer jerks.
First of all, itís the jerks who will tell you that you forgot to wear deodorant, or that you have broccoli in your teeth. Secondly, this forum will attempt to differentiate itself by developing and maintaining consistent standards for proof. If you feel that your style of CMA has been wrongly maligned, then people here will work with you to create evidence of whatever claims you might have. Naturally, the flip-side of this is that not a lot of credence will be given to unsubstantiated verbiage. Thatís not too much to ask, is it?

Arenít the same issues going to come up again and again?
Quite possible. The purpose of this FAQ is to deal with them in a detailed manner. Weíre going to do our best to provide comprehensive answers. These conclusions will form a jumping point for further discussions.

Can we hang out with Omega?
Why on earth would you want to do that?

Can non-CMA practitioners post pertinent questions?
Given this site's history, Non-practitioners are going to get a little less slack when it comes to posting here, but with that being said, any reasonable question or observation is welcome. Post away.

I hate you guys. You're abrasive assholes, and have shown little respect for CMA, like, ever.
All I can really say is that you shouldn't let your prejudices run amok. This area is dedicated toward productive CMA discussion. The idea is to take things in a different direction than they have in past; we want to incubate ideas, not turn them into omelettes. Yes, if you post bullshit, you will be criticized, nay mocked. But that's the point -- we're looking for objective standards of evaluation. Whether you like it or not, that's what martial arts that aren't totally performance-based require.

Thatís it?
This is a work in progress, mmkay? If you have suggestions for this page, then please post them and one of the moderators will integrate them accordingly.

Tom Kagan
2/02/2007 2:12pm,
Is it science?
NO! It's not science. Science tries to document results. Even those arts with a venue where you can document results do not typically call their art a science. Stop trying to be an elitist by calling what you do a science. Or, at least have the sanity to attempt documenting your results.

Bang!
2/02/2007 2:32pm,
What about the sweet science? But really, who refers to their MA as science?

Tom Kagan
2/02/2007 2:48pm,
What about the sweet science? But really, who refers to their MA as science?

Sweet science is at least more correct because it is a way to say "we know we are not real scientists but at least we are trying to be systematic." Regardless, "the sweet science" is a nickname for western boxing, so I think it would cause confusion to use it regarding a CMA - at least for the purpose of this sub-forum as I understand it.

As for the second question, you aren't serious about that, are you? Because if you are, you've got to be blind or deaf or something. Quite a few people in CMA (particularly those in __ng __un) do exactly this.

Bang!
2/02/2007 3:32pm,
Right you are

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/6305884129.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

new2bjj
2/02/2007 4:24pm,
Right you are

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/6305884129.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
****, I have that tape laying around somewhere. I understand it is all relative, but he Leung had the rep for being the real deal. Plus, he did western boxing in his youth.

Bang!
2/02/2007 4:26pm,
Anything noteworthy on the tape?

Omega Supreme
2/02/2007 4:41pm,
Repulsive monkey sucks bananas

Bang!
2/02/2007 4:45pm,
Nice talk, sugarmouth. Actually, now that you're back, how's about starting a thread talking about your own CMA experiences? It would be nice for people to see that there are a few kung fu guys kicking around who can actually throw hands.

Omega Supreme
2/02/2007 4:52pm,
What would you like me to talk about? History, methodology, anecdotes?

Killing Moon
2/02/2007 4:52pm,
Cool
^_^

new2bjj
2/02/2007 4:54pm,
Anything noteworthy on the tape?
It is more of an overview of the system, but it does lay out the theory of the system pretty well. Much better than the Leung Ting tape that surfaced about the same time. It's been years since I viewed it, and I am by no means an expert on -ing -hun, having only trained in it for a few months. The instructor had a school full of thugs in San Francisco who wanted to go out and get into fist fights at the drop of a hat. I think his name was Chris Chan. I remember saying to my friend "I started Martial Arts so I could defend myself against guys just like this". And I don't mean thug in the MMA tough guy way, I mean Thug in the weekend in jail, pull knives on people way. See my creepiest martial artist thread.

Bang!
2/02/2007 4:56pm,
What would you like me to talk about? History, methodology, anecdotes?Naturally, anecdotes are always fun. Especially because they invariably involve you beating the crap out of someone in the most humiliating manner possible. However, at this point, I'd really like to start generating some technically-oriented content, since that seems to be tougher to come up with. How about picking one or two techniques that you consider to be effective, but are sort of off the radar of mainstream MMA?

Hanniballistic
2/02/2007 4:58pm,
Could a non-CMA'er post pertinent questions?

Omega Supreme
2/02/2007 4:59pm,
Naturally, anecdotes are always fun. Especially because they invariably involve you beating the crap out of someone in the most humiliating manner possible. However, at this point, I'd really like to start generating some technically-oriented content, since that seems to be tougher to come up with. How about picking one or two techniques that you consider to be effective, but are sort of off the radar of mainstream MMA?

Meaning you would like me to talk about some of the CMA training I still do that include in MMA training?

Bang!
2/02/2007 5:10pm,
Meaning you would like me to talk about some of the CMA training I still do that include in MMA training?That would be sweet.