PDA

View Full Version : San Shou

Groganer
9/10/2002 2:34pm,
What do you people think of this style? It looks pretty interesting to me, especially since I have a kung fu and wrestling background. Anyone know of any good teachers in southern California?

KC Elbows
9/10/2002 2:39pm,
I don't think it's a style per se, but a format for fighting, like kuoshu, or ufc, or such.

I actually prefer kuoshu, but just because of the inclusion of elbows(kuoshu fights use the caged headgear).

Michael
9/10/2002 2:55pm,
Its not really a style though some schools are trying to do it as a style. In southern CA? None worth mentioning if you want to come up here to Santa Barbara though I'd be happy to train you for free if you show me you have heart.

matzahbal
9/10/2002 3:55pm,
The closest system to what your describing with a similiar name is San Soo. You should easily find one of those studios in Southern, Ca.

I've been told that San Shou is the "chinese kickboxing" and also told that it's the name of the system that the chinese military practices.

"But some apes gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Aple shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals

PeedeeShaolin
9/10/2002 4:13pm,
Its not a style man. People say its Kung Fu but I've never seen anything from Kung Fu used in any of the matches. It's Thai Boxing with a side kick. And your allowed to throw too. Cung Le uses Thai Boxing techniques and his High School Wrestling to win.

"Do not become entranced by impractical or useless movements. Do not be categorized as one who "Learns all there is to know about less and less until he ends up learning everything there is to know about nothing." -Ed Parker

KC Elbows
9/10/2002 4:22pm,
The throws used in san shou in China are generally from kung fu. Cung Le's scissor kick, while probably not kung fu, is also not thai or wrestling. However, scissor kicks are mostly found in what are considered TMA, and appear to be effective enough in his use of them.

Michael
9/10/2002 5:46pm,
sigh, scissor kick...yes its kung fu.

KC Elbows
9/10/2002 6:18pm,
I wasn't meaning to tout the scissor kick, it's a technique I wouldn't want to be using in an actual fight. My point was that there's kung fu in san shou, though if all you've seen if cung le's stuff(which is good, nonetheless), you probably wouldn't see much of it, but there's san shou outside of the US, in fact, probably most of san shou matches are not held in the US, and it has it's kung fu influence.

And san soo is not related. It's a common mistake, but they are completely different things.

Groganer
9/10/2002 6:53pm,
So what you're all saying is that I should continue with my Kung Fu, and go coach high school/free style wrestling. This will then give me the cross training in both, and I can use them in fights as I see fit?

Sheol
9/11/2002 10:08am,
Groganer:

I know this contradicts some of what has been said, but here are the facts:

San Soo is basically kung fu with a street-fighting perspective.

San Shou is Chinese kick-boxing. It's not an art but a form of competition, such as US kick-boxing.

Shuai Chiao is a descendant of Mongolian wrestling and Chiao Li, rather than 'traditional' kung fu (though wrestling did influence kung fu).

It is Shuai Chiao that is institutionally taught to military and police forces in both China and Taiwan. San Soo and San Shou has not.

If you want to learn grappling, join USA Wrestling or a Shuai Chiao organization. Both organizations sponsor competition, though USA Wrestling is obviously much larger in the United States. :D

Edited by - Sheol on September 11 2002 10:15:16

Michael
9/11/2002 2:31pm,
Well that about somes that up but there are about 3 tournaments held here in CA that you can attend as well as about 8 across this nation. Not to meniton that iska has a san shou division, and then there's draka (Russian kickboxing with throws) and Koushu (Cantonese for San shou). There are respective rules that you would need to be aware of in order to train.

There are no ring ropes for the lei tai (fighting platform), 3 points if you throw your opponent off. 3 points if you fall off lol. 3 points if you throw somebody hard and you remain standing. 2 points for a throw, 1 point for a take down or a flubbed throw. Once the knee hits the ground you are considered taken down or if there are more than 2 limbs on the lei tai at 1 time. 1 point for leg kick, 1 point for stunning kick to body. 3 points for any effective spinning techniques. 3 points for an 8 counts. If you recieve 3 eight counts round is over and all points are awarded to your opponent. Knock out automatic win. There is to be no more that 3 consecutive punches to the head at any time.

There are more rules but that's the scoring system. BTW they will not stop during punching and kicking to give you the point they will just tally them as the match goes on.