PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

kimjonghng
6/02/2018 12:14pm,
Here I go...

1. I believed that eventually I be able to jump ridiciously high like two stories or something and each time I jumped eventually i'd learn to do like a roll * I was a child when I start shoot me*

2. I believed in ninja magic, i'd be able to throw fireballs one day.

3. I believed in the killing power of a shuriken...

4. I believed that there was an art that was win all kill all beat all...what was it? ninjitsu

5. I believed in the right dojo you could end up walking up as a samurai *oh the romanticism on it all*

The end...im a kid I know...

too relatable

ksennin
6/05/2018 5:13pm,
I think most of what I used to believe qualified.

Yeah, with Muay Thai I've felt like I have been learning how to use what I am being taught from day one. I like that.

One of the things I always noticed regarding traditional martial arts was the ubiquity of the questioning of whether it would work or not in real life. From both people outside the arts and inside them. About specific parts or the overall thing in general. And it always struck me that if you are training correctly, that type of questioning is moot. Absurd, even. You do not normally hear people question a boxer whether he would be able to punch out a guy in "the street" or not. Some things are pretty self-evident. You see people being taken down and choked out for real you are seeing it work. You see people punching and kicking for real, you see it work. You have to seriously add a lot of crap layers of abstraction/stylization/distortion or Bretchian-like intentional-distancing/remove to cloud that evidence.

My father in law was one of the earliest karate practitioners here in my country. He had a rep for being a mean, ornery fellow which I was to see confirmed as true quite soon. He once told me in grandstanding manner that he had been in real fights and in real fights you would not really use martial arts. Of course, I did not need explanation ofr most of karate being tailored for sport and not real fighting, as I was already quite into cross-training and sparred heavily cross-style by then. But it struck me as pretty pathetic that this guy had trained for years and years and was admitting all that time and effort was mostly useless, yet tried to lecture me while continuing to do that same karate. I had to refrain myself from suggesting that meant he had been training wrong or badly for all those years. Some time later he tried to "correct me" during a class in which we were both participating, and he challenged me to stop his attack. It was pretty easy for me to immobilize him with a standing back-choke while he flailed uselessly. The Japanese teacher walked over and laughed at it. Did my political-family relationships no great favors to this day.

I think it is useful to question every technique or strategy and test its implementation, but the moment you begin to really doubt the usefulness of what you are doing is the moment you should go and do something else instead.

ksennin
6/05/2018 5:16pm,
I started to practice martial arts because I read Eric Van Lustbader's THE NINJA. It would take half a decade to list all the stupid things I used to believe about martial arts. There are probably a lot still there in the ol' noggin', too.

ksennin
6/05/2018 5:17pm,
Used to have faith in ninjutsu as a combat discipline

Used to be a weeb with the 'eastern over western' mentality

I think I still have the TAO OF PHYSICS and some Krishnamurti in my bookshelves. And that damned Stephen Hayes book.

BKR
6/05/2018 6:47pm,
I started to practice martial arts because I read Eric Van Lustbader's THE NINJA. It would take half a decade to list all the stupid things I used to believe about martial arts. There are probably a lot still there in the ol' noggin', too.

yeah, Lustbader has some sort of rank in Aikido, too, doesn't he ? I've read most of his Ninja etc. novels. Entertaining, for sure.

Let's see what I can remember...
Sumai = Combat (not sport/religious) Sumo

kokoro...the beating of the drum, drawing strength (seemingly superhuman)

controlling metabolism to survive being poisoned

All sorts of ninjer stuff and intrigue...magic, etc.

He also wrote some perhaps lesser known works of sci-fi-fantasy...

Had to look it up, The Sunset Warrior Cycle.

ghost55
6/05/2018 10:13pm,
I used to believe that if I put in enough effort I could totally become a pro fighter. Fuckity oops.

BKR
6/05/2018 11:39pm,
I used to believe that if I put in enough effort I could totally become a pro fighter. Fuckity oops.

https://youtu.be/t2JnCXvm_Qc

Raycetpfl
6/06/2018 12:24am,
I saw Royce Wreck shop when I was 11 and I was a huge boxing fan. From that point on i knew Royce, ,Shamrock,Tyson,and Holyfield were the baddest dudes on the planet.

What i didnt know was aikido is 95% bullshit. I was pretty sure Steven Seagal could fight.

ghost55
6/06/2018 12:39am,
https://youtu.be/t2JnCXvm_Qc

Yup. I love to brawl, but I started late, my insides suck, and I'm injury prone as all hell. I'll be happy if I get a purple belt in BJJ someday.

kimjonghng
6/10/2018 5:40am,
Yup. I love to brawl, but I started late, my insides suck, and I'm injury prone as all hell. I'll be happy if I get a purple belt in BJJ someday.

I would settle for blue with how my back is right now.

If I take care of myself, Im hoping to at LEAST get my Goju Ryu Shodan, and perhaps another discipline. After a while though, if I move somewhere else I may transfer into rankless systems if I can.

If my fight days are behind me, I still want to travel and learn other systems from different parts, but I might have settle for something like Muay Chaiya and Krabi/Krabong over Muay Thai fights in Thailand

Gumby
6/17/2018 5:27pm,

Being a pro fighter aint that hard bro- being a successful one on the other hand.... well that's a different story

There ARE a lot of pro fighters who are, quite frankly- dog ****. Huge influx of people wanting to chase the dream from watching UFC. Pro fighter just means you get paid- it doesn't necessarily mean you're good at it

Consider this guy...

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/doug-sonier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RW39DkeudA

Now I usually don't talk **** about guys who've got the gall to step into the cage, but this guy is a resident neo Nazi so I think the general consensus is I get a free pass....

ksennin
6/19/2018 6:58pm,
I used to think I could someday make a yoko-uke work. I used to believe a move being taught had to work and it was my fault it never did.

CroLord
6/20/2018 4:37am,
While i was teenager i was doing Ju-Jutsu. I remember how we were mocking people who did BJJ. Oh god how was i wrong :D

kimjonghng
7/01/2018 6:06am,
While i was teenager i was doing Ju-Jutsu. I remember how we were mocking people who did BJJ. Oh god how was i wrong :D

Used to think BJJ was just ground judo, then realized that actually makes it pretty dope tbh

Holy Moment
7/07/2018 1:24pm,
I thought that having the biggest biceps in the room would make me better at muay thai.

You were at least right on that account.

kimjonghng
7/08/2018 3:45am,
Used to think Wing Chun would help arts like Goju due to their common ancestry. Now I see Goju as beneficial to wing chun more than the other way around