PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

Krijgsman
11/04/2013 3:43pm,
Not that I have believed they are magic, but I am going to toss wrist-locks on here. My friend had a playful spar/grapple session with someone totally untrained and, as she put it, "I kept trying wrist locks, but they didn't work".

Sovvolf
11/09/2013 5:30am,
I used to believe that there was no point to learning martial arts cause that karate stuff was no good on DA STR33TS where there are NO RULES!!! or the ultimate art was STR33T FIGHTING!!! that was until I got to college where I met a friend who training MMA (I didn't even know what that was at the time, didn't know much about the UFC or admittedly martial arts) and he dared just about everyone in class to come and train with him. No one took him up on it but I was curious and though why not... My elite STR33T skills didn't do me much good when I tried sparring.

Pretty much got me into martial arts and MMA.

Though from listening to him, I dismissed all other Martial arts other than BJJ and Muay Thai as being useless, from Karate and Taekwondo, to stuff like Boxing and Kickboxing. Though these days I've trained in multiple styles and one point or another and I'm far more open minded to different styles and when I do train them I try to take what I found worked with them and I even use a lot of Taekwondo and Karate techniques when I spar. It takes people off guard as there's some techniques they've not really practiced or practiced defending so they don't expect it.

CapnMunchh
11/20/2013 11:43pm,
I used to believe having a black belt actually meant something.

Vieux Normand
11/21/2013 1:27pm,

It does. It means you're poorer than you used to be.

Sovvolf
11/21/2013 2:19pm,

Depends? Do you have 52 of them? at 10th dan? if not, then no. It means nothing.

CapnMunchh
11/21/2013 3:04pm,
Depends? Do you have 52 of them?

Not yet, but thanks to recent threads now I know where to buy them. I'd consider getting a dozen or so, but damn those 10th Dans are expensive! Where do these guys get the money for this? Mortgage their homes? Pimp out their wives? I guess you could say that in their own way they're dedicated to MA.

Krijgsman
11/25/2013 3:12pm,
Not yet, but thanks to recent threads now I know where to buy them. I'd consider getting a dozen or so, but damn those 10th Dans are expensive! Where do these guys get the money for this? Mortgage their homes? Pimp out their wives? I guess you could say that in their own way they're dedicated to MA.

The key is to create your own systems. That way the only expense is the belt. 10th dan in Krijg-kwon-fu here I come!

ghost55
12/02/2013 1:07am,
I used to believe that Aikido was in some ways useful. I quit after Sensei got really passive aggressive with me when I started asking about how I could apply what I was learning to real life a few months in.

More recently I thought that Krav Maga was useful after hearing someone talk about how t3h d34d1y it was and marathoning Fight Quest. To be fair, that person also recommended Muay Thai to me and I like it, so there is that.

CapnMunchh
12/06/2013 12:42pm,
I used to believe that Aikido was in some ways useful. I quit after Sensei got really passive aggressive with me when I started asking about how I could apply what I was learning to real life a few months in.

Have you read the article "Is Aikido a Martial Art" in BS archives?

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-55548.html

Its worth reading if you've ever studied Aikido.

ghost55
12/06/2013 2:48pm,

I did read it, and it made me sad. If that kind of Aikido still existed, I would still be studying that. The problem is that that style has either died out or is nigh impossible to find. I know how to fall properly which is nice, but aside from that I feel like I learned almost nothing of value during the five or so months that I trained.

CapnMunchh
12/06/2013 3:51pm,
I did read it, and it made me sad. If that kind of Aikido still existed, I would still be studying that. The problem is that that style has either died out or is nigh impossible to find. I know how to fall properly which is nice, but aside from that I feel like I learned almost nothing of value during the five or so months that I trained.

Schools that train Aikido that way are definitely hard to find, but it's possible to find a few good training partners in an otherwise lame school and set your own limits. Realistically, tho, you'd need a bit more training than just 5 months' worth to get into that.

ghost55
12/06/2013 4:45pm,
Schools that train Aikido that way are definitely hard to find, but it's possible to find a few good training partners in an otherwise lame school and set your own limits. Realistically, tho, you'd need a bit more training than just 5 months' worth to get into that.

Yeah, with Muay Thai I've felt like I have been learning how to use what I am being taught from day one. I like that.

patfromlogan
3/31/2014 10:19pm,

You must have a crush on CapnMunchh, don't you? Go do some pushups or something.

Sometimes I'm very happy that Bullshido has been around so long now and is so deep in it's articles and threads. Lately most of the "New Posts" threads haven't interested me much (though I'm sure there is some good stuff, it's just hidden in the ho hum) and like the time of Brand and The Wastrel's departing and aesopians ascension or Ronin's troubles with this site I find myself reading older threads and getting a lot out of them. There's SO much here, I'd never read Is Aikido a Martial Art and that led to Rock Ape's http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94155 and that leads to http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/. Good stuff here! And now I'll go back to getting ready for the CPA appointment Wednesday - though I will add, I saw GREAT aikido in the sixties in Hawaii; Sensei and sempai and some of the other couples were amazing - Sensei would demo some response like a throw to a rear choke and everyone would do it, but he and sempai would improvise all the way, throwing kicks punches, reversing throws, joints and what have you, looking like cats fighting, jump up, bow and do it again. I remember me and my karate buddy just going, "****! Did you see that side snap the sempai gave Sensei's neck as he was being thrown and Sensei did wtf? A one armed leg lock take down?"

That dojo is long gone, and so is Logan Utah's Kyokushinkai (RIP Del, you were the man) and even Honolulu Kyokushin didn't outlive Shihan Lowe. Hell I'm feeling kinda sad; I know that my own small steps of understanding (ie., combining Kosho Shorei Ryu Kempo's full on sliding body movement reverse punch with Ali's sliding leaning stepping in left jab + Kyokushin's driving explosive shots) maybe will maybe have a tiny echo for a few younger folks, then fade away.
http://www.ellisaikido.org/

Sovvolf
4/01/2014 2:47am,
Possibly you can teach those techniques to the younger folk and it will carry on through the ages... Things only fade away if you allow it to.

gileanofgrey
2/19/2015 9:24am,
Here I go...

1. I believed that eventually I be able to jump ridiciously high like two stories or something and each time I jumped eventually i'd learn to do like a roll * I was a child when I start shoot me*

2. I believed in ninja magic, i'd be able to throw fireballs one day.

3. I believed in the killing power of a shuriken...

4. I believed that there was an art that was win all kill all beat all...what was it? ninjitsu

5. I believed in the right dojo you could end up walking up as a samurai *oh the romanticism on it all*

The end...im a kid I know...

kimjonghng
5/31/2018 4:29am,
Used to have faith in ninjutsu as a combat discipline

Used to be a weeb with the 'eastern over western' mentality