PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

Ice Hole
6/05/2013 7:37pm,
Did you not read what I said?
According to the church we went to, Asian Martial Arts were gateways into Satanism. There are still televangelists that STILL say that. My step-dad even tried to arrange for an exorcism.

From the Evangelical point of view, all worldly things are gateways into Satanism. Cheeseburgers, only half as much as, say, Lion Dancing.

What better way to confront the devil within oneself? Kung fu...and cheeseburgers.

http://i.imgur.com/hdbRmfC.jpg

xstyle
6/06/2013 8:40am,
I thought 6 months of training in China with a shaolin monk would be equivalent to 10 years of training here.

I thought striking with my fingertips touching (like a cranes beak) was more effective than a fist because I could precisely hit vital points of the body.

I used to think only Asians could really get good a martial arts and I would never be as good.

I used to think if I practice a form 1,000 times I would be able to use it if attacked.

goshinbudoJJ
6/06/2013 9:47am,
Irimi nage would work on someone that isn't wearing magic pants.

Fuzzy
6/06/2013 10:00am,
Irimi nage would work on someone that isn't wearing magic pants.

I used Irimi Nage in MMA sparring last Tuesday.

goshinbudoJJ
6/06/2013 10:12am,
I used Irimi Nage in MMA sparring last Tuesday.

Impressive. How'd that happen?

Fuzzy
6/06/2013 10:21am,
Dude I was fighting doesn't have much standup experience, his background is Eskrima and Aikido, so he has a tendency to leave his jabs hanging out in front of him.

I managed to grab his arm, pull him forward and step in with the classic clothesline irimi nage.

goshinbudoJJ
6/06/2013 10:26am,
Dude I was fighting doesn't have much standup experience, his background is Eskrima and Aikido, so he has a tendency to leave his jabs hanging out in front of him.

I managed to grab his arm, pull him forward and step in with the classic clothesline irimi nage.

Nice, the clothesline variation is a little more realistic than it's "grab my wrist and fly through the air" brethren.

I'm not a big fan of the "wrist grab" irimis. We're expected to get really good at them when we get to shodan at my JJJ school. Needless to say, that's why I train Judo/BJJ now.

Fuzzy
6/06/2013 10:29am,
I'm not a big fan of the "wrist grab" irimis. We're expected to get really good at them when we get to shodan at my JJJ school. Needless to say, that's why I train Judo/BJJ now.

Yeah I remember them well from my Aikido days, entertaining, but impractical.

Zraven7
8/28/2013 9:40am,
I remember thinking that pressure points were the end-all, be-all of martial arts.

Skummer
8/28/2013 9:54am,
I remember thinking that pressure points were the end-all, be-all of martial arts.

I remember when I was in Middle school, a kid who rode my bus used to brag that he knew pressure points. He thought that meant he could kill everybody, even though he was short, fat, and stupid.

I never did get to see him try it out. No one took him seriously even then.

Katje
8/28/2013 10:11am,
I knew a guy who believed he knew a pressure point combination that would overload your nerves and stop your heart. To his credit him he truly did believe that and was quite squeamish at the thought of ever doing it to someone.

Permalost
8/28/2013 10:57am,
I knew a guy who believed he knew a pressure point combination that would overload your nerves and stop your heart. To his credit him he truly did believe that and was quite squeamish at the thought of ever doing it to someone.
When I was a kid, my friend insisted that his dad learned a knockout technique from a Special Forces guy, where you karate chop the neck and the liver at the same time (some kind of overload thing). To do it at the same time, you have to use really shitty body mechanics and even I could see that, so I challenged him to do it on me, since I was so sure it wouldn't work. It didn't knock me out, but it did kinda hurt my neck, but I tried to act like it didn't.

dwkfym
9/01/2013 11:53pm,

Too bad it wasn't like, positive, like he can use it to please his sexual interest or something.

Katje
9/02/2013 12:13pm,
Too bad it wasn't like, positive, like he can use it to please his sexual interest or something.

Bahahahaha, downstairs pressure points! Wouldn't that have been kind of creepy to teach in a dojo though?

goodlun
9/03/2013 7:41pm,
Bahahahaha, downstairs pressure points! Wouldn't that have been kind of creepy to teach in a dojo though?

Wait this isn't what we are suppose to be learning in BJJ?

miles123
11/03/2013 1:59pm,
The list is literally too long.
Everything from the Dim Mak being viable for self defense to my striking is so good I won't ever be taken down.