PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

Cuddles
5/19/2013 12:37am,
Awwww, Fake got there first with the same video! That's the bullshido equivalent of turning up to prom in the same dress......

*slinks away to go hide in the bathroom and sulk for the rest of the evening*

Nothing wrong with that. Guys like thrifty and low-maintenance girls ;)
And I've never seen this when I trained in Kempo though.

I used to believe that you could spear hand through someone's body to impale him. Yup. Straight through the chest.

Fuzzy
5/19/2013 3:22am,
I used to believe that you could spear hand through someone's body to impale him. Yup. Straight through the chest.

Hellsing style?

I wonder if that rebounding thing is a bastardization/misinterpretation of FMA tapi-tapi, cos some styles do tap themselves on the hip and shoulder with the non-weapon hand when doing solo practice.

I briefly believed in chi, and the no-hands throw.

Cuddles
5/19/2013 12:02pm,
Hitting yourself first is just stupid... However, it *seems* like my muscles tense differently if I do the rebound vs just try the strike. Sort of like the difference between haymaker and controlled right hook. Probably just suggestion getting the better of me.

I think it's probably just the different "set-up" in that position. Cause I do know a similar technique, but it stops before you touch yourself (meaning that you recock your arms in varying positions).

For instance, a little (though somewhat unrealistic) Kempo combination I learned and modified (because there were too many Shuto chops):

Southpaw stance. Mirror for orthodox.
Right driving backfist to the head.
Left driving Shuto to the neck while the right hand chambers at the chest.
Right back knuckle (horizontal fist with fingers facing up. Like a baby uppercut) as your left hand rechambers to the right side of your face, palm down.
Left Shuto snapping forward into the neck as your right hand move up to your temple with your elbow flared out.
Keeping your left hand near your chin to guard, Right Hammerfist to the temple.
Follow through and drop your weight to throw a snapping Right reverse Hammer to the groin as your left hand chambers to your chest.
Left straight to the Solar while your right fist is pulled back to a low guard.
Right back knuckle.
Finish with a side thrust kick.

Pretty interesting and fun idea, though I can't imagine how you'd use it in an actual match.

ermghoti
5/20/2013 1:17am,
Heh, I just remembered, since I was thin, and therefore, in "better shape," than a fat guy, I assumed could easily defeat any oval person. By "thin," I mean 5'9" 125lbs.

Fuzzy
5/20/2013 1:21am,
I believed that big muscles make your punches slower.

Chili Pepper
5/20/2013 2:24am,
I wonder if that rebounding thing is a bastardization/misinterpretation of FMA tapi-tapi, cos some styles do tap themselves on the hip and shoulder with the non-weapon hand when doing solo practice.

That's a possibility I hadn't considered before.

Never saw any of them use it in sparring though - it only shows up when they're doing those 20 hits in 2 seconds flurries, 'cuz it makes it flashier.

Fuzzy
5/20/2013 2:28am,
That's a possibility I hadn't considered before.

Never saw any of them use it in sparring though - it only shows up when they're doing those 20 hits in 2 seconds flurries, 'cuz it makes it flashier.

It just occurred to me last night watching the video Katje and Fake linked, since it comes from "Arnis.org" and iirc Ke?po does have some FMA influence.

Permalost
5/20/2013 4:41am,
Awwww, Fake got there first with the same video! That's the bullshido equivalent of turning up to prom in the same dress......

*slinks away to go hide in the bathroom and sulk for the rest of the evening*
Oh. My. God. Becky. Look at her gi.

Nutcracker, sweet
5/20/2013 4:54am,
The logic goes that you lose speed by bringing your hands back to guard position because you have to slow them down & bring them to a stop in front of your face after a punch. To counteract this you bring your hand back from the punch at full speed and "rebound" it off your body again for the next punch.

It's basically slapping yourself repeatedly in the torso to enhance the speed of your punches. Yeah, it's about as dumb as it sounds......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmn2giGJ6nc

Hitting yourself first is just stupid... However, it *seems* like my muscles tense differently if I do the rebound vs just try the strike. Sort of like the difference between haymaker and controlled right hook. Probably just suggestion getting the better of me.

theAsthmatic
6/04/2013 2:26pm,
This principle has to work with kicking as well. So the proper way to throw a front/push kick it to knee yourself in the face first, and use the rebounded energy to demolish your opponent.

Permalost
6/04/2013 2:31pm,
The real application of "rebounding" is to slap your own body so you have a good body-hitting sound when you pretend to hit someone, pro-wrestling style, because the whole world's a stage.

Katje
6/04/2013 3:39pm,
This principle has to work with kicking as well. So the proper way to throw a front/push kick is to knee yourself in the face first, and use the rebounded energy to demolish your opponent.

Vids plz

VictorV
6/04/2013 7:14pm,
Never really bought into any of the myths. Probably because my dad explained how the stuff in the movies and in pro-wrestling was faked. That it takes lots and lots of hard work to be good at something.

Cuddles
6/04/2013 7:16pm,
Never really bought into any of the myths. Probably because my dad explained how the stuff in the movies and in pro-wrestling was faked. That it takes lots and lots of hard work to be good at something.

Are you suggesting that martial art movie actors and pro wrestlers do not put in a lot of hard work?

VictorV
6/05/2013 6:29pm,
Did you not read what I said? My dad explained to me how all that stuff was achieved. That's also how I know that it takes lots of hard work to be good at something. But the myths of superhuman speed, throwing fireballs, casting spells, etc...All that was movie magic. My step-dad on the other hand...He actually believed all that was real. When he found out that the father of one of my friends was teaching us judo after school, Not only was I grounded, but he moved us across town to get away from them. He also made me change schools. According to the church we went to, Asian Martial Arts were gateways into Satanism. There are still televangelists that STILL say that. My step-dad even tried to arrange for an exorcism.

It is Fake
6/05/2013 6:55pm,
Did you not read what I said? Do you understand what you typed? It can be taken numerous ways.

Probably because my dad explained how the stuff in the movies and in pro-wrestling was faked. That it takes lots and lots of hard work to be good at something.Yes, your post can be read as you saying they do not work hard.