PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

Mr. Machette
7/27/2012 5:31pm,
I used to think Michael Dudikoff (American Ninja) was actually a Ninja.

I believed Ninjas were real, and caucasian Ninjas like Mr. Didikoff or Frank Dux were akin to the White Buffalo legends. Something rare and mystical, like a unicorn.

Furthermore, and worst of all, I believed American Ninja was a good film.

Of course, I've grown to find all these things are false.

Except for the unicorn part. Both Frank Dux and Michael Didikoff turned out tohave a lot more in comon with unicorns that they do with Ninjas.

alabasterblack
11/13/2012 2:24pm,
I saw Drunken Master in theaters at a birthday party years back.

I came to the conclusion that Drunken Boxing was all powerful since drunk people are better at fighting than sober people. I tried to seek out this style; fortunately it's rare enough that I couldn't secure a location to train in it.

The coffee...it sprays from my face. Epic hilarious. I would however like to go to this school.

Nickosaurus
11/13/2012 3:06pm,
Looking back the too most striking are

That Judo wasn't for me

That you could learn to fight without fighting

Permalost
11/13/2012 3:51pm,
I used to think that training for a month (maybe even 2) full time with an elderly Oriental master would make you equivalent to about 10th Dan and completely unbeatable.
What would 10th Dan even mean to a person that believes this?

Kwizatz
11/14/2012 5:24am,
What would 10th Dan even mean to a person that believes this?

I was 12, gimme a fuckin break

Kwizatz
11/14/2012 5:25am,
Removing duplicate

doofaloofa
11/14/2012 6:16am,

And...

how old are you now?

OwlMatt
5/17/2013 9:07pm,
I believed that the old masters didn't spar with the young black belts because they were afraid of embarrassing or hurting them.

submessenger
5/17/2013 9:10pm,
There was a brief period when I first joined Bullshido that I thought Lebell was Judo Gene. Yeah, I can be that dumb, sometimes.

Katje
5/18/2013 8:37am,
When I was 15 a kempo guy I knew convinced me that you could bounce punches off your body to make them faster.

Permalost
5/18/2013 10:19am,

Give you a break from what?

Mr. Machette
5/18/2013 1:57pm,
When I was 15 a kempo guy I knew convinced me that you could bounce punches off your body to make them faster.
How's that work?

Permalost
5/18/2013 3:02pm,
I think they call it "rebounding".

It is Fake
5/18/2013 3:34pm,
How's that work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmn2giGJ6nc

Katje
5/18/2013 4:01pm,
The logic goes that you lose speed by bringing your hands back to guard position because you have to slow them down & bring them to a stop in front of your face after a punch. To counteract this you bring your hand back from the punch at full speed and "rebound" it off your body again for the next punch.

It's basically slapping yourself repeatedly in the torso to enhance the speed of your punches. Yeah, it's about as dumb as it sounds......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmn2giGJ6nc

Katje
5/18/2013 4:07pm,
Awwww, Fake got there first with the same video! That's the bullshido equivalent of turning up to prom in the same dress......

*slinks away to go hide in the bathroom and sulk for the rest of the evening*