PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

darkhorseman
2/18/2012 6:30pm,
I used to believe that being 6' 3" and weighing over 200lbs automatically made me a badass, oh how wrong i was.

nils
2/18/2012 6:38pm,
That I would ever be able to beat someone substantially larger than me who didn't totally suck.

I used to believe that being 6' 3" and weighing over 200lbs automatically made me a badass

You two guys should totally fight each other.

blue-dragon
3/22/2012 7:16am,
I used to think being tough was all about willpower. Experience, training, dedication, strength, and cardio had nothing to do with it.

Kwizatz
6/13/2012 10:27am,
I used to think that training for a month (maybe even 2) full time with an elderly Oriental master would make you equivalent to about 10th Dan and completely unbeatable.

Training with the above elderly oriental gentleman would inevitably involve some repetitive tasks that at first would seem completely unrelated to martial arts - stirring pots, sanding floors, etc.

eloneamigo
7/11/2012 10:15pm,
You can snap a mans neck with a simple twist!

daishi
7/12/2012 7:28am,
I used to think a 'figure four lock' was a 'finger four lock.' Which makes no sense.

shanblake
7/13/2012 6:04am,
Stupid thing about matrial arts.......................
The average martial artist is a hardened fighter
All Chinese people have an uncle or grandfather who is a kung-fu master
I tried to seek out this style; fortunately it's rare enough that I couldn't secure a location to train in it.

lordbd
7/13/2012 6:19am,
I used to think that Tae Kwon Do was the most applicable martial art in real world settings........because of all the martial arts out there it shared the honor of being in the olympics with boxing and judo. I mean, why would they pick an art that wasn't the best by far to be in the biggest sports competition in the world?

WoodyCorpus
7/13/2012 11:25am,
I mean, why would they pick an art that wasn't the best by far to be in the biggest sports competition in the world?

Politics.

dwkfym
7/14/2012 11:11am,
Politics.

Or, that its a great sport. it may have nothing to do with how good of a martial art it is. I mean, why the heck would you have football or volleyball as olympic sport?

slamdunc
7/14/2012 11:22am,
I mean, why would they pick an art that wasn't the best by far to be in the biggest sports competition in the world?

Politics.

Or, that its a great sport. it may have nothing to do with how good of a martial art it is.Politics, popularity, and it is a great sport. It is estimated that over thirty-million (30,000,000) people practice Tae Kwon Do, worldwide (well, at least 156 countries).

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member3257.png (http://militarysignatures.com)

dwkfym
7/14/2012 12:57pm,
Training with the above elderly oriental gentleman would inevitably involve some repetitive tasks that at first would seem completely unrelated to martial arts - stirring pots, sanding floors, etc.

On that note, I used to think (like at age 15) white instructors in TMA= fake or otherwise not as good. I also used to think UFC was not good because it wasn't teh deadly. this really quickly went away before I even started full contact arts.

Like Water
7/18/2012 3:08am,
I remember watching my first ever UFC match and saying "What the **** are these guys rolling around on the ground for.. Why don't they stand up and actually fight?"

And now I practice BJJ.

shotodefense
7/27/2012 1:33am,
I used to believe everybody on bullshido was a real badass. lmao.

dwkfym
7/27/2012 9:11am,
I used to think Steven Segal was pretty badass, and was legit

Azatdawn
7/27/2012 10:03am,
I used to think Steven Segal was pretty badass, and was legit
I hate myself for how long I believed that. I also get a pretty good laugh out of it.