PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

FickleFingerOfFate
8/20/2011 2:38pm,
I believed that learning was cumulative, and that there would be no need for the same old arguments to be repeated ad nauseum.

Imagine my disappointment.

jnp
8/20/2011 11:52pm,
I believed that learning was cumulative, and that there would be no need for the same old arguments to be repeated ad nauseum.

Imagine my disappointment.
Look at you. Hanging out on the wrong side of the tracks.

FickleFingerOfFate
8/21/2011 8:27am,
Someone broke Sociocide,
so I wandered back over to find out if anything new was happening.

Same n00bs, different names.

Larus marinus
8/28/2011 2:18am,
Semi-related (well, it comes up on here often enough...)

I used to think that BlackOps:

Always wore black uniforms/combat gear with black ski masks/gas masks
Used silenced pistols (thwip! thwip! thwip!)
Used silenced assault rifles (thwipthwipthwipthwipthwipthwipthwipthwip!)
Generally killed the bad guys from behind with knives and tactical neck-breaks

and that BlackOps was something that one could 'go in for' in the military. That there was a specific BlackOps regiment, or something - and no-one was supposed to talk about it.

IneedSkins
10/22/2011 11:01am,
That TKD was more deadly then boxing.

MikeNice
11/16/2011 2:27am,
That Ninjas existed and could do a standing front flip over a 12' tall fence.

Akido is the ultimate martial art. It allows you to never strike an opponet and no one can get a hand on you.

Shaolin Kung Fu was second only to Akido. Shaolin warriors are basically gods in human disguise.

Muay Thai fighters train their shins by repeatedly striking concrete posts for hours.

You don't have to strike to train.

Azatdawn
11/16/2011 3:49am,
You don't have to strike to train.
Well you don't, if you train a grappling art.

MikeNice
11/16/2011 4:33am,
Well you don't, if you train a grappling art.

True. I should have stated that differently.

Spartan136
12/07/2011 1:39pm,
I always knew wrestling did damage because my older cousin use to torture me with it. My best friend didnt and had a beef with a jock, who I included, thought was a panzy. That jock who was half the size of my buddy whooped his ass in front of the entire school senior year. My buddy was the one who called him out.

I used to believe that when I enlisted in the Army i was going to learn how to kill with some Black Ops MA that you could only learn in the military.... Then we drilled BJJ everyday.

jedtex88
12/14/2011 7:30am,
I used to believe that Bruce Lee accomplished everything with hard work and dedication, not anabolic steroids. That one actually hit me pretty hard.

Phil82
12/16/2011 6:15pm,
that George Dillman was a bad ass

that boxing was inferior to most MA.....

that Judo was a kids' art

excludedmiddle
12/16/2011 6:43pm,
I used to believe that Bruce Lee accomplished everything with hard work and dedication, not anabolic steroids. That one actually hit me pretty hard.

Never heard that one before. I knew he never actually fought anybody and even went out of his way to avoid proving himself, "learned" Muay Thai from a book, refused to spar when he had Chuck Norris and Joe Lewis as his training partners, fabricated a story about beating a "British boxing champ" in high school, etc., but the steroid thing is new to me.

jedtex88
12/17/2011 4:02am,
Read a book called Unsettled Matters. It'll be the icing on the cake.

Zenitys
12/18/2011 3:03pm,
that amateur wrestling is pro wrestling without pyrotechnics and with gayer outfits (say what you will i think those skin-tight one-pieces look gay)

that pro wrestling was the pinnacle of all martial arts

that the only reason Steven Seagal and Jackie Chan didn't compete in pro wrestling was that they were humble and too dangerous to use their skills for r34lz

that if i stood under a waterfall and meditated i could develop chi attacks the level of which would make dragonball z look realistic (this lasted until i was 16..imagine my disappointment when i realized i can't blow mountains by yelling really really loudly at it)

It is Fake
12/18/2011 3:13pm,
Never heard that one before. I knew he never actually fought anybody and even went out of his way to avoid proving himself, "learned" Muay Thai from a book, refused to spar when he had Chuck Norris and Joe Lewis as his training partners, fabricated a story about beating a "British boxing champ" in high school, etc., but the steroid thing is new to me.
It is alleged because he used supplements. I have yet to find anything definitive.

Also, lol at steroids. People need to get educated on them because it is a cheat, but not the way he just implied.

Hanniballistic
12/18/2011 3:17pm,
It is also worth bearing in mind that even if he DID use steriods (and I don't think he did personally) they were neither illegal nor maligned back then - and there use was certainly no "OMG NOT ST3R01DZ!!!!" reaction like the one that is so popular today