PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

Ming Loyalist
8/09/2011 4:22pm,
Did you have a sword?

i did have a locker room altercation while in high school that involved my saber. the guy who was fucking with me didn't think it was dangerous, but he forgot that when they get used a lot, the blades get nicked in many places making them act like a serrated edge.

he got a cut and a big welt, and then decided to leave me be.

Larus marinus
8/09/2011 4:51pm,
No. We were told that our hand speed would be enough. I got one jab out (as far as I remember), then I remember waking up in the school infirmary.

Was he teaching you to fight empty-handed using fencing techniques?

Ben Grimm
8/09/2011 7:34pm,
Yes. He said fencing was a complete martial art.

Permalost
8/10/2011 11:02am,
http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2007/12-18/pavlik_taylor_boxing_1_400.jpg
Fleche!

Sorekara
8/14/2011 11:15am,
I hear stuff from a co-worker all the time.

Usual, Ninjas are real and can destroy anyone, and that they can summon powers from the mind that most people don't know about.

It's okay to take a left handed stance and box right handed.

Grabbing your opponents clothes allows you to hold them and pound them with your free hand.

Black Belts must tell everyone they fight that they're a BB.

TKD is awesome.

Chi is real.

All of this stuff I used to believe, it's hiliarious hearing people talk about it, even when they're almost 50 years old.

My other personal beliefs used to be,

Aikido kicks ass! You can throw someone effortlessly by flicking your wrist. Judo sucks because it's just throwing people. Grappling/wrestling is ghey.
The belt color system came from Karateka not washing their Obi. Karate is the most deadly martial art, except for Shaolin Kung Fu.

Seven Segal was str8 and not douchy at all.

Thank God for the Internet! With the people that I grew up with and respected, I never would've found out the truth and probably would've got sucked into some sort of ninjer stuff and never known the difference.

The weird thing is, I have a friend that still holds all the teenage fantasy. Even after showing him a couple techniques from Judo and BJJ, He still insists that Aikido is the ultimate defense.

Fish Of Doom
8/14/2011 11:19am,
i used to think that the tenchu video-games were an accurate representation of ninjutsu :p

Ben Grimm
8/14/2011 12:01pm,
I hear stuff from a co-worker all the time.

Usual, Ninjas are real and can destroy anyone, and that they can summon powers from the mind that most people don't know about.

Grabbing your opponents clothes allows you to hold them and pound them with your free hand.

Black Belts must tell everyone they fight that they're a BB.

TKD is awesome.

Chi is real.

All of this stuff I used to believe, it's hiliarious hearing people talk about it, even when they're almost 50 years old.

My other personal beliefs used to be,

Aikido kicks ass! You can throw someone effortlessly by flicking your wrist. Judo sucks because it's just throwing people. Grappling/wrestling is ghey.
The belt color system came from Karateka not washing their Obi. Karate is the most deadly martial art, except for Shaolin Kung Fu.

Seven Segal was str8 and not douchy at all.

Thank God for the Internet! With the people that I grew up with and respected, I never would've found out the truth and probably would've got sucked into some sort of ninjer stuff and never known the difference.

The weird thing is, I have a friend that still holds all the teenage fantasy. Even after showing him a couple techniques from Judo and BJJ, He still insists that Aikido is the ultimate defense.

What the hell is he on? He's nuts. Well except the boxing thing, I am a southpaw. Can't wait to have my first amateur fight. Coming up real soon I hope.

Flail_Crapple
8/14/2011 2:42pm,

Ya. If do right, no can defend.

ermghoti
8/14/2011 3:07pm,
Grappling/wrestling is ghey.

This is supposed to be things you believed that were wrong.

The belt color system came from Karateka not washing their Obi.

So, the belts got yellow because... oh. Oh no.

Fish Of Doom
8/14/2011 3:14pm,
So, the belts got yellow because... oh. Oh no.

oh YES!

*trains until he pisses himself*

also, brown belt too :p

Ben Grimm
8/14/2011 7:44pm,
oh YES!

*trains until he pisses himself*

also, brown belt too :p

Oh, such wisdom has come forth.

kitkatninja
8/15/2011 2:48am,
Before I started the MA, I thought that being a Black Belt was the be all and end all.

-Ken

Fish Of Doom
8/15/2011 2:58am,
Oh, such wisdom has come forth.

suxh wisdom as the world has never smelled.

william_cain
8/15/2011 10:28am,
I believed doing krotty would make my daddy love me.

EnragedChewtoy
8/20/2011 10:39am,
Believed the enduring myth about black belts having to register as 'lethal weapons' when I first heard it. Then I kinda forgot about it (unsurprisingly the fuzz didn't track me down when I got my McShodan). I remembered the myth earlier this year when cornered in a pub by the pub owner, a blowzy drunken woman of a certain age who likes to crap on about her son, a washed-up 3rd degree TKD black belt. In her alcohol-addled world, her son is registered as a lethal weapon; in reality he picks boozed scraps with parking meters, and the parking meters always win. His busted, bandaged hands are proof of this, as are tales of him falling on his drunken arse when he tries to kick the meters. I'm guessing that all parking meters are in a constant state of mushin, and his marinated brain is no match for such awesome martial bollocks. After all, parking meters meditate upon the koan "what is the sound of one dog cocking (it's leg for a piss)?" and this guy probably has to shut one eye to focus when aiming at the urinal.

Good times.

PizDoff
8/20/2011 12:57pm,
What the hell is he on? He's nuts. Well except the boxing thing, I am a southpaw. Can't wait to have my first amateur fight. Coming up real soon I hope.

Read what he said again, I'll quote it for you.

That's why hard contact sparring.