PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

excludedmiddle
4/25/2011 11:40pm,
Shaolin monks and Bruce Lee would kill everybody. I also believed Jet Li was up there too. Then came everyone else like JCVD and Chuck Norris, and finally, actual fighting legends like Muhammad Ali.

Also that Chinese martial arts were the best, then Japanese, then everything else.

Funny how backwards all of that was.

MAGIC HATE BALL
4/26/2011 1:45pm,
~ That akido & wing chun were the ****. Not in the way I thought they were.

~ Krav was some super secret Israeli commando superman technique

~ Dim Mak...lol

donoraen
4/26/2011 11:06pm,
I was once asked who would win in a fight, Joe Lewis or bruce lee....guess which one I chose....

jdempsey
4/27/2011 6:34am,
I was once asked who would win in a fight, Joe Lewis or bruce lee....guess which one I chose....
yeah I backed him over Tyson too.

jdempsey
4/27/2011 6:50am,
At age 19 or so I took an interest in a girl training at a reputable kickboxing gym. Took one lesson then got sucked into the Wingchun cult up the road because size doesnt matter as it was designed by a woman. And "If you want to fight in the ring I can train you cause my trainer fought and I've seen heaps of fights". I actually believed fights could look like a kungfu movie, would still love to see one actually...

jdempsey
4/28/2011 4:40pm,
also I believed that japanese pro-wrestling "bushido" was real at this time

StepInCross
4/28/2011 8:18pm,
I used to believe that the only way to "win" in hand to hand combat is to use a vast array of stylish moves that got more elaborate and involved increasing amounts of spinning and jumping.

SpamN'Cheese
4/29/2011 6:55am,
I used to believe:
1. In an actual death touch.
2. The Kumite was real.
3. That there were uber D3ADLY ninja in Iga still.
4. That gung fu can save your life.
5. That being a black belt in karate meant you were the baddest of the bad.

pokeroo
4/29/2011 10:55am,
I used to believe:
1. In an actual death touch.
2. The Kumite was real.
3. That there were uber D3ADLY ninja in Iga still.
5. That being a black belt in karate meant you were the baddest of the bad.

What do you think Kumite means? Why do you think this isn't real?

Grey Owl
4/29/2011 10:58am,
What do you think Kumite means? Why do you think this isn't real?

My guess is the 'event' in Bloodsport rather than any actual kumite.

Deetviper
5/10/2011 9:33pm,
1. Spinning makes any move more d34dly.
2. Jump kicks are the greatest thing ever, because it's like you're hitting with your whole body!
3. Kicking is always better than punching, because legs are bigger than arms.
4. Due to the previous 3, the best, most d34dly martial arts are TKD and Capoeira, because of all the spinning and jumping kicks!

Ming Loyalist
5/11/2011 8:48am,
I used to believe:

gung fu saved my life. it just wasn't in a *fight*, i was hit by a car.

excludedmiddle
5/11/2011 3:10pm,
I thought that since people made fun of TKD for being a belt factory and kicks only, I would be better off going to the Karate place down the street (which was actually a Kenpo place). Looking back I'm glad I picked Kenpo over Wing Chun (I mean, Bruce Lee did WC so it was tempting), but I'm still not sure if it was any better than TKD.

meinmachine
5/11/2011 5:01pm,
I once thought that the big fat Kenpo slob "masters" could really fight because they had "mastered" all of the techniques, their extensions, Kata's and sets. I thought since they could elucidate on the paradigm shifting matrix of linear movement and the rebounding energy concepts taught by Master Ed Parker they must really know what they were talking about. Turns out, not so much.

excludedmiddle
5/11/2011 6:33pm,
I once thought that the big fat Kenpo slob "masters" could really fight because they had "mastered" all of the techniques, their extensions, Kata's and sets. I thought since they could elucidate on the paradigm shifting matrix of linear movement and the rebounding energy concepts taught by Master Ed Parker they must really know what they were talking about. Turns out, not so much.

Same here. I thought that since they could explain everything you were doing in all of those bullshit "defensive maneuvers" where one person punches in and then stands still, that they could actually do all that **** if actually attacked. I later thought that since my kenpo instructors weren't insanely fat and bald, that what I was doing was less bullshit than everyone else. I also still hold the (probably stupid) belief that SOME of the sparring was good and I actually learned something, despite the bad habits I formed, because we sparred hard (still not full contact though).

Donnerschlag
5/11/2011 11:07pm,
I used to think that the really high-ranked blackbelts had to register their hands as deadly weapons. I also thought "Ling Kong Jing" was legit. Thank God that was a very fleeting phase of my life. :P

EDIT: I forgot to add that I once thought that everything about Japanese swordsmanship, including the swords, were superior to any other MA on the planet. (Except for maybe some Chinese MAs)