PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

CrackFox
12/05/2010 5:37pm,
That you could hit someone once or twice and knock them out.
YouTube - Alicia Sacramone Throws A Punch TKO Funny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWDSRjyiuWI)

tinwhistler
12/05/2010 5:55pm,
Apart from the whole multiple attacker thing, this is possible.

like this?
YouTube - OLD MAN BEATS UP 5 GUYS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu9W7oxredI)

of course, the 'attackers' were more like 'dudes who stood there placidly while getting ktfo'

It is Fake
12/05/2010 5:59pm,
You have to "attack" to be consider multiple attackers.

CrackFox
12/05/2010 6:02pm,
of course, the 'attackers' were more like 'dudes who stood there placidly while getting ktfo'
I love the way you can catch one of his heavies kicking somebody on the ground in the bottom of the screen. I think taking a few slaps off the old guy might have been the easy option for those guys.

fourTwenty
12/05/2010 11:40pm,
Did he, did he stand there and start to lecture them as they were all laid out?

RaiderFunk
12/07/2010 1:15pm,
I used to believe:

with Aikido you could slow your heart rate and stop poison or a sleeping agent from effecting you until the calvalry arrived

Bruce Lee could kill anyone in a street fight

That there was a way to win any streetfight

Most recently...

Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, wrestling, BJJ, 10thplanetjj, mma or any other MA is the deadly and shits on anything else.

Oh and that anyone wants to actually kick my ass to begin with..

UFC Gym will NOT McDojo -ise any sparring intensive MA.

Conclusions..

No one really wants to kick my ass, take my wallet or beat me up and **** my wife. Fear is used to sell bullshit. The actually market fighting systems now for scary basement dwellers who are scared of getting one-punch knocked out. People are scary little bitches that think everyone wants to **** them up. If you're that damn paranoid move to the country!

MMA'ers and their ilk now are starting to market their bullshit as the deadly to replace easter MAs. Sorry cousin, you can train all day and still get your ass kicked because you slipped on ice or got jumped because you were kinda drunk.

graciecombatives is fucking bullshit..."we test in a wheel self-defence sitchee-ation". Shut the **** up! Unless you simulate going to a club being drunk off your ass with blue ballz and a guy club punching your ass from behind save it. Teach guys how to have two drinks, leave skanks alone and go to clubs with metal detectors and learn to ignore **** talkers. I can offer that "complete system" for the price of a martini and some chicken wings.

Now..aside from my rant...I love grappling and I love boxing..but stop marketing that **** for fat ass computer nerds to be able to kick ass and get the girl. Your **** ain't no more pimping than the other ****

EricD
12/07/2010 2:39pm,
I used to believe that wushu could be used in actual fighting. Oh, I was a stupid, stupid little bastard-child.

Miguksaram
12/07/2010 3:09pm,
Things I believed
1) TKD developed over 2000 years.
2) Hwarangdo was an exact decendant of Silla's Hwarang warriors.
3) Flying side kicks were developed to knock people off the horse
4) Wrist locks, once you know how to use them work 100% of the time against resisting opponents - learned that one the hard way bouncing at a House party
5) Though I knew grappling was good to learn...I believed I could stop a take down with a simple elbow to the back as they were coming in.

The list goes on... :)

Dave R.
12/08/2010 10:33am,
I used to believe that Wado Ryu Karate = ULTIMATE

I used to believe that a knife hand to the throat was unstoppable.

I used to believe that a knee to the face would stop any grappler.

I used to believe that Bruce Lee was the greatest fighter in history.

I used to think that my reverse punch could knock anyone out and I never tested it because I didn't want to accidentally kill someone.

I used to believe that a black belt in any martial art was the ultimate goal.

I used to believe that Pat Morita was a real karate master.

v1y
12/08/2010 11:22am,
4) Wrist locks, once you know how to use them work 100% of the time against resisting opponents - learned that one the hard way bouncing at a House party
Well you probably just didn't do it right ;)

goodlun
12/08/2010 1:05pm,
One of my first kung fu classes I took, they taught you could kill someone by hitting the xiphoid process and driving it back into the liver. heh
This is kind of an interesting one. I know when I was learning CPR we where warned to watch out for the xiphoid process because it can break off and do damage to the diaphragm. So I mean I suppose in a ground and pound scenario one could seriously hurt someone if they landed on it with enough force. Luckily that area of the body is rarely the target of a good ground and pound.

Miguksaram
12/08/2010 1:11pm,
Well you probably just didn't do it right ;)
What do you mean? I told him to stop and grab my other wrist with the same hand.ha.ha.ha..

It probably would have worked. Had I been given the lesson of the opponent's free hand which is throwing the punch at you while you are trying to restrain the other wrist.

Permalost
12/08/2010 1:12pm,
This is kind of an interesting one. I know when I was learning CPR we where warned to watch out for the xiphoid process because it can break off and do damage to the diaphragm. So I mean I suppose in a ground and pound scenario one could seriously hurt someone if they landed on it with enough force. Luckily that area of the body is rarely the target of a good ground and pound.
I've seen it used as a GNP target in pankration comps. Never kills anyone though. If it was as deadly as some claim it is, people would be dying right and left in pankration, MMA, boxing, kickboxing, combat sambo, muay thai and anywhere else you can ding someone in the solar plexis with power without padding.

IsThisRight?
12/08/2010 1:17pm,

Yeah there is a large element of truth to this. The xiphoid process can break off the sternum when giving chest compressions in CPR if the hand is not placed in the correct position, the xiphoid process can then pierce the liver and potentiall cause internal bleeding if it hits an artery or vein. People are told to go to to the hospital to get checked out for any internal damage after they are given CPR. I was told this in a life support class and it pretty much agrees with what my 3 years of studying medicine have taught me.

I've never actually known it to and dont believe that it could/would kill anyone there and then on the spot though ...

goodlun
12/08/2010 1:28pm,
I've seen it used as a GNP target in pankration comps. Never kills anyone though. If it was as deadly as some claim it is, people would be dying right and left in pankration, MMA, boxing, kickboxing, combat sambo, muay thai and anywhere else you can ding someone in the solar plexis with power without padding.
I think it comes down to one would have to hit just right with a hell of a lot of force. We do know it can break off as it is a real danger when doing CPR. So is it the Real Deadly probably not, would I want someone dropping some sort of double hammer fist on it from side control with me not doing anything to defend myself most certainly not.

izdemon
12/08/2010 2:06pm,
I used to believe that any martial arts training, no matter how long you did it for would make you an instant badass. This kid in school did like 2 or 3 months of Tae Kwon Do at the YMCA and I assumed he could kick anyones ass in my school.

I thought the Tae Kwon Do that my buddy's little brother showed me was legit, as if he knew what he was doing. When I signed up for Uechi Ryu I told the instructor that I knew a little Tae Kwon Do that my friends brother showed me.

I used to believe you could kill someone by striking their nose in an upward fashion to drive the cartilage into their brain. Sadly many people still believe this.

I didn't believe that a street fighter could ever beat a black belt. I balked when I seen this in a movie once. I remember thinking, "how unrealistic is this! That guy is a blackbelt why didn't he win that fight?"

I believed Ninjitsu was the ultimate art to learn.

I believed professional wrestling was real.