PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

Flail_Crapple
11/22/2010 9:16pm,
Not sure if serious.....

badacid
11/23/2010 2:11pm,
There was 1 style that was better than all others (It was, of course, the style I trained in).

All martial arts originated from some obscure buddhist temple.

Wrestling wasn't a martial art.

BJJ wasn't worth learning for street fighting.

That stickfighting was streetwise, though looking around, more often then not - There isn't a stick/broom/pool cue etc laying on the ground.

Steven Seagal and Jean Claude Van Damme were really that bad ass.

Aikido works.

Every martial artist is willing to let go of their ego.

A boxer will lose to any black belt.

Ryu could beat Ken.

goodlun
11/23/2010 2:21pm,
Ryu could beat Ken.
Now that is really ridiculous

Ming Loyalist
11/23/2010 8:46pm,
i used to believe i was pretty good at throwing people.

9Teen_AT4
11/24/2010 3:30pm,
Ryu could beat Ken.

Now that is really ridiculous

Fei Long could beat them all...

http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/object/142/14257286/fei-long_street-fighter_pictureboxart_160w.jpg

JorgeCalifornia
12/02/2010 10:43am,
I used to believe...

that Aikido was super bad to the bone.

that Kung Fu was the only MA that was superior to aikido, and only by a bit.

that boxing sucked, because I could just side kick a boxer in the knee and instant win.

that grappling was useless

that ninjitsu was the real deadly

that Jet Li could destroy any UFC fighter (see Cradle 2 the Grave).

that one good punch was all I needed.

that some Shaolin monks could send balls of air at you and knock you off your feet.
...I still think they can.

this thread = MA culture mystique fail

JorgeCalifornia
12/02/2010 10:47am,
Luckily I was introduced to UFC by a good friend of mine and I slowly but surely began to extricate myself from all the bullshido I had stepped in.

mrbigglesworth
12/02/2010 11:30am,
I used to think that judo was a joke and that tkd was awesome! How dumb i was!

Rexley
12/02/2010 12:14pm,
I used to think that aikido was a "complete defensive system."

JorgeCalifornia
12/02/2010 12:28pm,
I used to believe that the red power ranger could beat the green ranger.

9Teen_AT4
12/04/2010 2:59am,
:P

I used to believe a gun can kill any Black Belt in any martial arts.......

Dumb.

LMAO....

tinwhistler
12/04/2010 1:47pm,
One of my first kung fu classes I took, they taught you could kill someone by hitting the xiphoid process and driving it back into the liver. heh

Permalost
12/04/2010 6:28pm,
One of my first kung fu classes I took, they taught you could kill someone by hitting the xiphoid process and driving it back into the liver. heh

That's interesting, because I've heard that oddity frommore than one person than one person that had that taught to them during a first lesson. I think it's a Mcdojo thing to make the person think that they're learning some real serious deadliness here. I'm not sure if it was a popular Mcdojo thing independently or if it spread from one particularly popular chain (I'm thinking Fred Villari).

Travis17
12/05/2010 2:00pm,
That you could hit someone once or twice and knock them out. So a trained guy taking on multiple people and just hitting them each once or twice and they all fall over defeated. Some not even getting hit in the head.

Thought Shaolin martial artists were the best in the world. (Kung fu the Legend Continues)

In my teens I started watching Bruce Lee movies and became a fan and thought that Jeet Kune Do was probably the best martial art because it took the best from all other martial arts.

Too much TV and movies growing up.

MMAMickey
12/05/2010 4:27pm,
That you could hit someone once or twice and knock them out. So a trained guy taking on multiple people and just hitting them each once or twice and they all fall over defeated. Some not even getting hit in the head.

Apart from the whole multiple attacker thing, this is possible.

excludedmiddle
12/05/2010 4:30pm,
I used to believe...
that boxing sucked, because I could just side kick a boxer in the knee and instant win.

When I was 16 I remember having a long conversation with 5 other teenagers who also believed one kick to Mike Tyson's knees and he'd buckle before getting a single punch in... Man, what the **** is it about martial arts that makes people believe such stupidity?